“Started off on wrong foot, got much better!”

Doubletree Hotel Chicago / Alsip
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Alsip
Lexington, Kentucky
“Started off on wrong foot, got much better!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had read another review which noted mold issues in their initial room, so was on the lookout when I checked in (I have really bad allergies!). Sure enough, my first room (412) smelled musty, and there was a pool of water on the window sill! I called the desk, they sent up a new room key, this time for 408 - same issue! Next we tried 406... same! In the meantime I had looked up the referenced review and they had found a good room on the second floor. I suggested we try the second floor, on the opposite side (odd numbers, South facing). Finally a dry room! (211, I think?) Shortly afterward cookies and breakfast vouchers were delivered.

I had checked in on Christmas day, so anticipated needing to find an open restaurant - the hotel had one, that had gotten decent reviews. i chose to dine in-room. Got the ribeye - it was excellent! My whole meal was good, as was breakfast the next morning.

All of the staff members at the hotel provided great customer service. What could have been very unpleasant, given the beginnings, turned out very well! Would definitely recomment the hotel with the caveat to check your room for moisture issues.

Room Tip: Check room for moisture issues, may be isolated to 4th floor, or North side of building
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
AlsipDoubletree, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago / Alsip, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
We are so happy that we were able to turn an opportunity into a great stay!

To clarify the moisture on the windows it is actually just condensation from shower steam or drastic changes in temperature from the inside of the building to the external environment, this probably happens to most of us at home too. Any musty smells could be attributes to this in addition to the fact that rooms might have been running vacant for an extended period of time.

The hotel looked into this opportunity after the last review and even brought in professional inspectors, besides our own engineers, to check for any possible signs of a hazardous environment.

We strive to ensure that all of our guests have an enjoyable experience in a comfortable environment, and thank you for mentioning this again to us so that we could firmly clarify the issues to all.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Williamsburg
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My dad recently got married at this hotel and i must say it was AMAZING! We stayed there December 27 - 31. When you check in you get the most delicious cookies! The employees are very nice and the rooms are nice as well. The only complaint i have is there is not a contiental breakfast. You have to pay for everything there. Other than that our room was great and we loved it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AlsipDoubletree, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago / Alsip, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Congratulations on your Father's recent marriage! We are so thrilled that you had a great time at the event and also enjoyed the amenities and services our hotel has to offer.

Just as a tip: most full service hotels do not offer complimentary breakfast to their guests unless they are with the hotel brands frequent travelers program and are at a certain level within the loyalty program. Limited service hotels offer this amenity to attract guests to their properties since they do not usually have full service restaurants on site.

Once again thank you for your review and your business. We look forward to serving you again!

Happy New Year!
Howard City, Michigan
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We only stayed for one night to visit a friend in the area. First, gotta say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the cookies! That was one of the best cookies I've ever had! But enough about the cookies. It is close to Christmas, so the entire lobby was decked out with a tree and was absolutely gorgeous. The assistant at the counter was so nice (especially giving out those cookies :-) ) and courteous. We were on the third floor; there was a wedding reception going on downstairs so there were a lot of people (it was a Saturday night). We got to our room to crash about 1:00 am and there were a couple of loud people getting back to their rooms, but it was only for a few minutes. The bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was clean and stocked. The shower was good, no issues with water pressure or no hot water, etc. That can sometimes be a bummer. Overall, we thought it was a great place to stay. As I stated we were only there for one night so I can't comment on cleaning service or room service or the restaruant downstairs. I will stay again :-)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your positive review, and we are sorry that you were not able to stay longer to enjoy the other amenities we have to offer. It is always nice to hear that our team is delivering the intangible amenity of service that you have come to expect from us. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you in the near future!
Saucier, Mississippi
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Our stay at the Doubletree Hotel Chicago/Alsip was very nice. The guest rooms are spacious and well-furnished. There was some noise on the second night in the hallway, but we did go back to sleep. The greatest thing about staying there are the cookies! We got some when we checked it; we got some the next day; we got some when we checked out. The only bad thing is that they have 300 calories in each one of them!

Room Tip: West side rooms would be a little away from the expressway. And get away from the elevators.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AlsipDoubletree, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago / Alsip, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Ah the cookies! Yes the "cookie" is what sets us apart from the rest and we are thrilled that you love them as much as us! Thank you for your business and the review. We look forward to serving you again in the near future. All the best to you and yours during the Holiday Season.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We reserved a banquet room to celebrate my mother's surprise birthday party. The room and the food was excellent. If you are planning a special event, I would highly recommend having it here and leave the worry and stress to them to handle things for you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Pooh338
AlsipDoubletree, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago / Alsip, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your glowing review of our banquet accommodations, we sincerely appreciate your business. We are so thrilled that the event exceeded your expectations. We truly look forward to serving you in the future. Happy belated B-Day to your Mother!
phoenix
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We checked in on Wed November 14th we went in the room and left our bags as we had a long day of travel and just wanted to go get some dinner. When we came back to the room it smelled very musty like mold 333 right off the elevator. We ignored it and went to sleep, well when my husband woke up in the morning he opened the curtains to find mold along the window ledge from the condensation of the cold outside. I immediately went to the front desk and asked to move ASAP as we were traveling with a 19month old. Jessica was very nice and gave me a new room on the 2nd floor. We moved everything and I turned in the old keys at that time Jessica gave me coupons for free breakfast. Which we really appreciated. The first day in our new room and housekeeping called us demanding the pillow we took out of our bed and were using in my sons crib back! That they needed that pillow and they would bring me a new one! What was the big deal over a pillow that you could have replaced in that room? Why did you have to bother us on our vacation to track down a pillow? a little extreme, but anyways our first night in our new room and 12 am came around and we heard people going in and out of multiple room that had the door stopper out so the door bounced several times as it could not close due to the stopper being there. 2 am 3 am 4 am they were yelling and screaming all night. Now I know your thinking why did you call and complain. Well I figured they were just having a good time and security would be walking the halls soon and would tell them to keep it down. The next Night I went to the front desk at 10 pm and asked if they noisy people on the 2nd floor had checked out or if they were going to be a problem again. The lady at the desk said that they were here for a wedding and they all checked out and I had nothing to worry about. WELL...... 12 am they were yelling at screaming and smoking marijuana in the hall way, I ignored it again thinking they would die down in an hour or so, well 1,2,3,am and they were fighting swearing and yelling I called the front desk to complain and they lady sent up security. I got a phone call 5 minutes later asking if it was quiet that security was outside my door yelling at them to keep it down. I told her that no they were still yelling if they were on the correct floor? She said yes they were outside my door I told her no they are still yelling! Finally at 4am I was awake and not able to sleep I went to the front desk and told her that this was insane and should not have gone on for so long. Only to find out that the Police was involved because one of the guests was beaten up by his group of "friends"!! She said that I would not pay for that night since I did not sleep and had to deal with all the problems. Well they day I checked out I got the bill under my door only to see that I was being charged for every night that I was there. I had to go talk to the front desk which was a completely different person and I had to explain the whole ordeal to for her to take off one night charge. This was by far the worst hotel experience ever! I work in a hotel there is no way those ignorant guest should not have been kicked out of the hotel!! We will not return to your hotel when we travel home again yes as an employee of Hilton I get a discounted rate but not even at the discounted rate would I return!!

Room Tip: 333 right off the elevator has mold in the window ledge do not stay in this room it smells very must...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service and we are extremely embarrassed that you had to endure these circumstances. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We’ve addressed these issues with our staff/security and hope that next time you’re in the area; you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. When you have a moment if you could contact me at chias_gm@hilton.com I would like to address these issues in more depth with you. Please place "Trip Advisor Review" in the subject line and your full name. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to hearing from you to resolve this opportunity.
Tinley Park, Illinois
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We live less than 10 miles away, yet we've stayed probably at least half a dozen times over the past couple years. The location meets all of our amenity requests, has a great restaurant AND bar onsite with a great breakfast buffet/brunch on the weekends, which is usually available through a bed & breakfast package that is really reasonably priced! Whenever the workweek gets unbearable or feels like a work "month," we make a reservation at the Doubletree and enjoy a break that's a 15 minute drive from home. Allgauer's Restaurant (onsite) has great food and the honors program allows for a free night without having to stay 100 times a year. We love it!

Room Tip: They do have smoking rooms so if you do NOT want a smoking room - make sure you mention when booking...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AlsipDoubletree, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chicago / Alsip, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your weekend with us and were able to unwind after a busy work week. As of November 1st we are converting all of our smoking rooms into non-smoking rooms, this process will take around a month, but we are happy to say that we will be 100% smoke free by December 1st. Thank you so much for your feedback and your business. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alsip
Baymont Inn & Suites Chicago/alsip
Hilton Chicago/Oak Lawn
Hilton Chicago/Oak Lawn
#1 of 4 in Oak Lawn
Holiday Inn Express Crestwood
Best Western Plus Chicago Southland
Wingate by Wyndham Tinley Park
Hyatt Place Chicago Midway Airport

Been to Doubletree Hotel Chicago / Alsip? Share your experiences!