“When your not a regular, don't expect great service”

Port Edward Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 112 Restaurants in Algonquin
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Crystal Lake, Illinois, United States
“When your not a regular, don't expect great service”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We went to have dinner evening since we found out that they have a special deal that benefits are local animal shelters. We brought our 10 year old Australian Shepherd and ordered dinner. We were sadly dissappointed the promised appetizers for our dog was not part of the evening she received a small dog bone and bowl of water. We proceeded to order dinner and our waitress really could not care less that we were there. We did notice that if you were a regular that your service was significantly better and felt extremely saddened at this fact. Port Edward has been an institution in Algonquin for as many years as I have been alive and we were so excited to take advantage of this beautiful evening out with our pet (which that part was amazing). After dinner we had every intention of ordering dessert and sharing with our pooch but our waitress couldn't get rid of us fast enough. She didn't even ask if we would like anything else. It took over 20 minutes just to get a staff person to take out photo. The atmosphere was wonderful. We love the Pet Friendly area but I don't know if I want to spend that kind of money on dinner just to be ignored?

• Visited August 2013
Cwk1121, Manager at Port Edward Restaurant, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Hi Cassie. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I have just been made aware of this and did not know if any issue until this point. I'm glad you joined us for Doggie Dine Out and brought your Australian Shepard to enjoy this wonderful event as well. I am not sure what you are referencing in terms of the appetizer for your pet. We have always served bowls of water and some treats, but that's the extent of our pet items, unless the owner specifically indicates something else that is pet friendly from the menu. I do apologize if your server in any made you feel rushed or like other tables were more important. Our regulars are simply people we know better but we never neglect our guests purposely, sometimes if we are busy perhaps service is lessened, but we always strive to give the best service we can. I'm sorry if you received anything less and I'll be happy to look into your particular circumstance. I would love to hear more about your particular dine, including who your server was and what entrees your ordered, as I could look further into your experience. Please always know that our management team is available and happy to speak to you during your dine. Our General Manager, Imre, is often walking around and speaking to guests, and he would have certainly correct any issues had he known. It's difficult to fix things after the fact, but I'll my best to look into this and hope you'll be willing to give us another chance in the future. I look forward to hearing from you and I'll put my contact information below. Thank you and take care.

Charles Kaskadden
Manager/Director, Social Media & Public Relations
CJ@PortEdward.com

Chicago
“Excellent meal for an excellent day”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Excellent weather. Excellent food. Excellent waitress (Sammie). Will return on a regular basis. Friend recommended and it was totally on the mark!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank JDWalkman
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Seafood!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Best seafood in the Chicago suburbs, hands down! They have great food every night, but on Friday, their massive buffet has crab legs, sushi, and a variety of fresh fish and other non-seafood options. A good, all-you-can-eat crab legs buffet is hard to find these days, but this place has that and so much more. In summer, you can even eat outside and enjoy your meal with a great view of the river.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Larry G
Chicago, IL
“Great atmosphere, great food, great views of the Fox River”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

What a place. I have been here off and on over the last 10+years. We recently hosted a communion party and EVERYBODY enjoyed it. The kids loved the koi pond and boat, the adults the loved the atmosphere and views. We had the run of the place on that Satruday early afternoon and it was perfect. The wait staff was incredible and efficient. The food was delicious warm and prompt. We had the London Broil (tender and delicious), the salmon (fantastic and flaky) and the chicken (can't remember exactly which one but was MOIST), the rice pilaf. The only complaint I got was the potatoes tasted a little off, like they were out of a box. Other than that I would HIGHLY recommend having them host your next special occassion. Leanne is SO easy to work with.

They have a wonderful spread for their Sunday Champagne Brunch. Great price and SO MUCH food and variety. Also they have a Friday night seafood buffet which is phenomenal.

Place is especially busy on the weekends so definitely get reservations. Plenty of parking. Easy to get to. Outside dining that is great during warmer weather. Live entertainment on the weekends. Just a GREAT local place.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank MagKap
Schaumburg, Illinois, United States
“Caring servers and wonderful food”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is an old standard for a really fun boating experience on the boat afloat in the main dining room. It is a great experince for the young ones and a romantic one for the couples that use the facility. The food is always wonderful too.

1 Thank Francesca Jo C