“Pumpkin Pancakes are back!”
Review of Colonial Cafe

Colonial Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Algonquin
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Specialties Breakfast: Variety of Omelettes, Skillets, Benedits, Crepes, French Toast, Pancakes and More! Lunch: Take a bite from our large selection of delicious Sandwiches, Salads and Burgers! Dinner: Try our homestyle dinners including Cheesy Bacon Mac & Cheese, Meatloaf Baked Fresh Daily, Bruschetta Chicken, just to name a few! Ice Cream: Classic Ice Cream Sundaes, scoops, Shakes, and of course the world famous Kitchen Sink! Great for after dinner or just for dessert! **We keep our traditional dishes all year round, but in addition to those we also offer special different options during each season! Catering: We offer a selection of catering options for Breakfast, Brunch and Lunch! Great for parties and meetings. Free Large Party Rooms Available! See your local Colonial Cafe for Fundraising Opportunities
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We went for a nice Sunday breakfast this morning. I couldn't believe how packed it was as we usually go there during the week. One sign of a well run restaurant is when they staff correctly for their peak times. There was not a table open in the place and yet we did not have to suffer a long wait because of it. Five minutes to get seated, five minutes to get our order in, and it came out in reasonable amount of time for the crowd.

They offer their special pumpkin pancakes every fall. When the sign went up a week ago my husband and I did a high five. Oh yes, we shall have them! I recommend adding the pecans and asking for a side of their fresh whipped cream to top it off. It is so much better with that than syrup. The bacon is nice and crisp and a carafe of coffee is left tableside for your convenience. My son's chocolate chip pancake, in the shape of a mouse, with whipped cream eyes and light chocolate syrup stripes was practically a work of art.

The only thing to be aware of is their sausage. I don't know who their supplier is, or what brand they use but it is strange. It has that white color like turkey sausage, but it doesn't claim to be turkey sausage. It is bland and chewy and very unsatisfying. It is almost like they ordered the sausage as an afterthought, odd considering everything else they do so well.

The service is friendly and they are always accommodating. I highly recommend eating here, especially with small children.