“Great hotel for bussling area”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Algonquin
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Algonquin
Des Plaines, Illinois
“Great hotel for bussling area”
Reviewed May 2, 2010

We needed to stay in the Algonquin area overnight and this hotel was perfectly placed. Nothing fancy, it had all of the basis and a good staff. Nice, hot free breakfast and initial problems with phone in room were resolved quickly. Be warned, because of area sights and shopping places, many families with kids seem to stay here. We heard them running the halls but for the most part, the room was quiet. Overall, a fine small hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed December 9, 2009

I don't have anything negative to say about this hotel - I was really happy with my stay here and didn't run into any of the problems previous reviewers have mentioned. This was one of the most friendly hotels I stayed at during my two-week business trip. The front desk clerk was so friendly and helpful, and greeted me with personality and humor that picked me up after day 8 of 10 on the road.

The room was clean and comfortable (your typical HIE set up). I didn't stay long enough for breakfast the next morning - I had an early morning meeting - so I can't comment on the availability of typical HIE products. But I slept well and was ready to go the next morning with no problems.

The hotel is located near a lot of good eateries. I kicked myself for not going to Giordanos which I passed by on the way in from the highway. There's a Borders nearby if you are a bookworm like me, and all sorts of chain resturants nearby (the closest was a Ruby Tuesday).

I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke, and I didn't run into any issues with smoke at this hotel. I didn't even see people smoking in the front of the hotel. I also had no issues connecting to the internet, and was able to get quite a bit of work done online with no glitches or connection losses.

Maybe in the last few months since the last few negative reviews this place has gotten its act together, because like I said, I was quite comfortable here and would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling through the area.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 13, 2009

When we arrived the elevator was broken; when we went out for church at noon the elevator was broken. My eighty year old mother-in-law was made to wait at the desk for 15 min. to inquire as to whether or not her purse had been turned in while the desk clerk checked hotel guests out. What would it have taken to look under the desk for a purse? The air conditioner was so noisy you couldn't hear the tv; but you could hear a person snoring in the next room. We stayed two days - that will be the last two days we ever stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank IllinoisSue926

Travelers are raving about these Algonquin hotels

Eastern Iowa
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I stayed here while on business in Huntley, IL. The location on Randall Road is fine but it's a good clip from I-90. The hotel itself in very nice. New, good rooms, good breakfast, free internet. Everything you'd expect. The problem is there are so many hotels out there now that all offer free internet, clean rooms, free breakfact, etc there's nothign that sets this hotel apart from the competition. When visiting Huntley I now stay at a Holiday Inn closer to I-90.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 6, 2009

We travel frequently and usually find Holiday Inn Express to be a good value for the money (pool and decent free breakfast). That is not the case with the Algonquin property.
Staff was friendly and place was clean. However - here are a few things we found lacking:
1) Pool area: no one had cleaned pool area for some time - dirty towels and other "stuff" all over and fresh towels had not been restocked. Pool was cloudy and over chlorinated.
2) Breakfast - the only "hot" food was biscuits and gravy. NO eggs of any kind. We have stayed in lots of Holiday Inn Express and there is ALWAYS eggs of some sort. The only fresh fruit was overripe bananas. A big disapointment
3) Internet connection was very slow - could not stream any video

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Valencia, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed July 19, 2008

We stayed at the HI Express in Algonquin for one night to attend a family party in Crystal Lake (about 3 miles away). We had two rooms, both kings. The place was fully booked due to a rib festival and a softball tournament nearby. Anyway, the rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. We had no problems other than there being no bath towels in the bathroom. However, while we were checking in a fellow came by to complain about the strong smell of smoke in his room, so some rooms apparently really are bad even though the hotel is supposed to be completely nonsmoking. Anyone considering this place might want to check out the assigned room before committing for the night. The free breakfast Sunday morning was OK. There was plenty of cold food and the coffee was decent but the hot food consisted of biscuits and sausage gravy--yuck. We walked to a restaurant nearby and had breakfast. The front desk people were friendly and did their best to handle a full house.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Amaklo
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
Reviewed February 11, 2008

We booked this hotel using hotwire and got a great rate of only $48 per night. The hotels location was perfect for us. The breakfast in the morning was good. The coffee was actually great. The pool and hot tub was fun for the kids. Our room was very clean but did smell of smoke as stated in an earlier review. I agree that the beds are very soft and need to be replaced. The bedding was comfy and they gave four pillows per bed. This is a plus for us. I found the lady who checked us in to be rude. She was grumpy and didnt even look up at us once. All in all it was fine for two nights. I dont think we could stand the beds any longer than that.

• Liked — pillows and comforter
  • Disliked — smoke smell in room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank mjkandik
Also consider these accommodations in or near Algonquin
Holiday Inn Crystal Lake
Hampton Inn - McHenry
Hampton Inn - McHenry
#1 of 2 in McHenry
Comfort Suites Elgin

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Algonquin? Share your experiences!