“Good, However Inconsistent”

Martini's On Main
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife and I have been coming to Martinis on Main now for about 1.5 years, and while it's one of our favorite places to head out during the week for dinner, it's inconsistent in its production, and hoping that someone from management will read this and "step it up", because this place can be the best restaurant in the burbs if it wants to be. Let's go through the menu...

Their appetizers are fairly good. Their stuffed mushrooms are very good, however their salmon stuffed mushrooms just aren't a good combination. Their bruschetta is average to say the least. Two appetizers that were on special were amazing though, and should be on their menu on a daily basis. They had a cream of mushroom soup that was to die for, and their lolipop lamb chops were so tasty, and you get four of them.

For dinner, stay away from the steaks. I hope they read this, because their cuts of meet are great, however their seasoning is non-existent. All you need is some salt, pepper, and garlic. That's all it takes to make a great steak. I looked around, and everyone that had a steak was using A1 sauce. Not a good sign. The rack of lamb is VERY GOOD, and their crust that they put on it is outstanding. The duck is my favorite. The owner is from Prague, and the Czech's can cook duck better than anyone. It comes with an apple and cinnamon compote, which the last time was a big gritty, however typically tasty. Each one of their grilled pork tenderloins is great, especially the dijon crusted one. The burgers are average.

What put a bad taste in my mouth was that the other day I went there with my inlaws, and I was raving about the place. In a place that was 1/2 full, it took 1.5 hours to get our dinner out. During this time we would have to ask the waitress what the hold-up was, vs. her actually telling us, we saw the chef talking to a table for 15 minutes, and the owner was talking to a regular at the bar the entire time. When we complained about the wait, nothing was comped on our bill. We were there for over 2 hours, and the food was average this time around.

I think overall the place has such potential, but they need to be more consistent. I will try it once more, but if it's the same way, I will not go back.

There are newer reviews for Martini's On Main

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Claire, who I believe is the owner treated us rudely and ignored my husband when he came in. We have been patronizing this restaurant for a very long time and every time we go in the wait staff is polite but Claire is rude and ignorant, she even swore at my husband. In an economy such as this one you would think that when you walked into a place they would treat you nicely but not here. My recommendation is if you want to feel unwelcomed and not valued and also want to pay to much for your food and drinks go here, otherwise go to Cucina Bella which is within walking distance and where they make you feel welcomed. I look forward when new owners take owner and try it again

3  Thank lisa m
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Since it was recently reopened under new management, the new Martini's on Main is an absolute gourmet extravaganza for its exceedingly modest price range. This oasis of dynamic, sophisticated flavor in an otherwise pizza and burger only part of northern Illinois showcases a menu of traditional Euro fare, but with inventive variations on each recipe that your palate will savor all the more. The chicken pineapple kebob, for example, could have rested on its own laurels with the main ingredients, but co owners Klara Cukova and Greg Geigel decided to literally sweeten the deal with honey, caramelized lemon glaze and a side of wild rice pilaf almost never seen west of the Fox River. Simply put, it was a dish worthy of the culinary hall of fame, probably somewhere in Paris.

And if you're in the mood for some succulent appetizers, you have to try the shrimp in the spicy garlic cream sauce. A spoon is included in the price which is good news because you'll probably be slurping down whatever rich, ingredient laden sauce remains after attacking the tender shrimp.

For a lighter start there's always the hummus and pita which is thick and heavy on the tahini if you're so inclined. The caprese salad also couldn't have been fresher which made me suspect they made their own mozzarella on the premises. It arrived smothered in a hearty balsamic vinaigrette, dripped artfully on the plate with Martini's trademark flair for presentation.

As an almost compulsory nod to the locals, you can indeed get burgers and sandwiches, but keep in mind you're going to get more flavor for your buck as even the ground beef takes a turn with the spice rack before it ends up at your table.

True to its name, Martini's can simply be your cocktail bar haunt of choice where you can share a laugh with its witty and unpretentious owners and imbibe in the ambiance. After all, the hardwood, classic atmosphere is warm and inviting, the staff charming as can be in both attentiveness and humor, and if you happen by on a Sunday afternoon you'd be hard pressed to find a more deliciously indulgent time waster than the sangria special in pitcher form, including a recipe imported directly from Spain. But if you want a glorious taste trip replete with entrees and appetizers seldom devoured in even the fanciest Michigan Avenue bistros or, for that matter, any top Parisian or Tuscan eatery, you've got to give Martini's full menu a try. Your taste buds will thank you.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

First, I must say that the food was very good, and our server, Matt, was very attentive. No complains there.
Unfortunately, the hostess was not willing to accommodate our seating requests. First, when I made the reservation for Valentine’s Day, about a week in advance, I requested to be considered for a window seating, and I was told that they do not do seat assignments, which it is understandable. Upon arrival, we noticed there was an empty booth, but the hostess told us that it was for someone who made reservations 2 months in advance. Wait…. I though they do not honor seat assignments. Yet, a couple who arrived at the same time we did, and without reservation, got seated at the same booth we previously requested, after seating at the bar for a few minutes.
I have been at this restaurant several times before, and always had a very good experience. This time, I must say I was not impressed. During a special occasion celebration, attention to details is what makes the difference between an OK and a wonderful dining experience.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

My wife and I ended our first date here, seven years ago and have been back several times. After experiencing horrible service at a dump down the road, we decided to see if we could walk in. This was Saturday, 02/11. Though there weren't any tables, we sat at the bar and received full service.
I got the chicken/pineapple kabob and my wife got cherry crusted pork tenderloins. Both were excellent. And we had "Death by Chocolate" for dessert. It was wonderful.
I highly recommend this place. The owner is hands on and always there. She's amazing. I would describe this place as an upscale "Cheers". Great food, great service, great atmosphere. We love it.