“Best Hotel Experience”

Howard Johnson Addison O'Hare Airport
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Addison
Reviewed April 2, 2010

The price was great, service was friendly. Airport Shuttle service (thank you!!) Breakfast included and very, very clean. Plus free internet connection. It was the best price and the best choice for me. So happy I chose this hotel after spending time 3 days earlier in an expensive hotel where I needed to pay extra for shuttle and internet.
So very happy with this choice. Howard Johnson, Addison IL = A+

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 7, 2009

My stay and my colleagues stay at the Howard Johnson was literally the WORST hotel stay any of us had ever experienced. I wouldn't even call this place a hotel, MAYBE a mediocre motel if anything.
I stayed in this place for 5 days and not a single day was I pleased with anything in this hotel. The staff was rude, there were strange people hanging around the hotel at all hours of the night and I am sure they were not paying guests. The cleanliness of the room was awful. GUM was on the sink the ENTIRE stay and was never cleaned by staff. Sheets were not fitted and kept coming off during the night leaving us to sleep on the hard itchy mattresses.
We had to pay a deposit for using the phone which is ridiculous. It was a ten dollar MINIMUM. Who would want to pay more than the minimum to use a hotel phone?
We had several problems in dealing with check in/out and had to solve these issues with the rude front desk manager who was there everyday, all day.
Our first complaint was the lack of wireless internet access as advertised. There was not enough signal to reach ANY of the laptops we had in the room. We called front desk and their help to us was "try turning your computers on and off" (needless to say this did not work and we were stuck without internet for our whole stay)
We would have moved hotels immediately after checking in but our stay was payed for by our organization who payed for us to attend a Classical Singers Convention in Chicago. That leads me to our next MAJOR issue. All of us staying in the room were opera singers in town for a singing convention, well this didn't sit well with the fact that the ENTIRE floor we were staying on smelled like SMOKE. (Even though we were in a non-smoking room and there were non-smoking signs posted all over the place.) We called front desk to complain about this and to have them move us to a lower level floor which seemed to smell less of smoke but we were told by a girl at the counter that they had NO OPEN rooms on either of the first two floors but they could move us down the hall to the other end of the 3rd floor. (Right above the smoking end of the 2nd floor? No thanks) So we had to stay where we were because it was our best option. It was interesting to hear that there were NO open rooms when there wasn't more than ten cars in the entire parking lot at any point of our stay.

One of the most interesting things was a room on the ground level of the hotel which has its blinds open so that we could see inside the room from the parking lot. Inside the room was a giant fish tank full of huge gold fish (way too many for one tank) , a lot of trash, as well as about ten bird cages with little birds that liked to make noise so that we could hear them in the morning when we went to the completely useless continental breakfast. I found this interesting because the front desk had a sign clearly posted that read "NO ANIMALS". I guess the hotel is allowed to have animals, just not the people that stay here?

Oh then there was the issue with our room keys. THREE times in five days our keys were deactivated. Leaving us to have to get let into the lobby late at night after returning from our convention to get our keys re-activated so we could get into the hotel and our rooms.

Within the room itself there were TWO broken sockets in the walls. We had to take turns charging our blackberries so that we could make calls and use the internet on our phones during the trip since it didn't work in the hotel. Also, I had requested that a refrigerator be put in the room which was fine, except for the fact that there was only one functioning outlet that reached both the fridge and the TV so if we wanted to plug in the TV, the fridge couldn't also be on. Warm food or no TV, you pick. (oh and the remote of course didn't work so we used the TV once the entire 5-day stay.)

The plastic cover on the air conditioner was completely detached just propped up against the air conditioner by housekeeping. The mattresses were incredibly UNSAFE. The metal and SHARP supports under the mattresses were completely sticking out just waiting to hurt an ankle or leg.

I could go on for days about the problems with our stay but frankly I'd rather just forget about it and our hotel and focus on the better parts of our visit to Chicago.

Needless to say, I will NEVER EVER stay in a Howard Johnson again and I will make every single attempt to ensure that nobody I know does as well. What a loss of business for this company. I travel incredibly often and I represent a college in the State of New York which will be notified and this Hotel will lose business from the entire State of New York University organization.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank elhousss191
Mattathil, General Manager at Howard Johnson Addison O'Hare Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2010

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete your review. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that your review is extremely valuable to us. Reviews such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues have been addressed.

Reviewed May 20, 2008

Bumped from a United Flight and was given a Hotel Vvoucher for the Regency Inn and Suites. The hotel staff doesn't answer the phone. The place is poorly lit and unclean. When I got to my room the light switch didn't work, there was a dirty towel in the tub, and the hot and cold shower controls were reversed. This is by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. Shame on United Airlines for "providing" this hotel to bumped travelers. If any of my family had been along we would have left in the first five minutes.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Maryland123
saleslady53, Sales & Marketing Director at Howard Johnson Addison O'Hare Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2008

Hello,

Let me take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with our hotel. We are currently under new management and rehabbing parts of our hotel..

Upon purchase it was a mess and it will take time to bring it back up to the standards we desire.

Please accept our apology.

Linda Panozzo
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed January 14, 2008

I must say that I was a bit leery about staying at this property, after reading some of the other reviews! Several members of our extended family stayed here while attending family functions in Chicago. While the property is showing some signs of age on the outside they underwent a major renovation inside, it is clean and well-kept, with a friendly, attentive staff. The front-desk personnel took a liking to my "active" 8-year-old son, and
looked after him as best they could. The pleasant housekeepers expeditiously brought us more towels, and checked in on an elderly aunt who was not feeling well. A maintenance man promptly and pleasantly responded to our room to repair a slow-running sink drain.

We were in a room on the third floor with big windows facing an expressway (don’t know the name). I was concerned that the noise level would be high all through the night, but a front-desk clerk reassured me that the I wouldn’t even know and that the sound doesn’t reach the rooms; she was correct! I had a good night’s sleep and woke up refreshed and ready for my cousin’s big day.

Our culminating family breakfast at the hotel was quite nice, and the food was tasty. There is a diner adjacent to the hotel that I highly recommend!!

In summary, we had a pleasant and cozy stay at a good price. I hope the management and staff keeps this place in good condition for our next visit.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2007

~~double charged my credit card and wont fix it~~

I did stay there on 8/22/07 and my credit card was charged $68.09........the stay was not bad considering it was the only hotel i could find in the area at a reasonable rate that didnt look like a roach motel.......but a monthe later ...i checked my credit card statement and they charged me $68.09 again ON 9/21/2007 and i did not even stay there on 9/21......i was home in indiana.........i've made 2 attempts by talking with them and sending them copies of my credit card statement........and they fail to fix the money they fraudulently charged my account for.....im making my last atempt now
and (printing) and keeping records,next step i am calling my credit card company and filing a fraud case as well as taking a drive to addison police department ,filing a police -theft-fraud report- and taking them to small claims court for the charged amount as well as any otherv cost associated with trying to get the funds put back into my account.........could be a mistake~~~~but i highly doubt it~~~~~i believe they intentionally tried to defraud me~~~~if there is anyone else with the same problem ,feel free to contact me at xlentdeelz@yahoo.com and join me on putting a stop to this hotel defrauding people........i had a discussion with an eployee today,who worked there seven weeks and she said the same problem on 8/24 as well as other ocassions ....she even discussed with me how the 6 investors try to take money from her for strange reasons........

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank brklyr
Reviewed August 7, 2007

If you are willing to pay $80 there are lots of other good places. Let me talk a bit about Hotels.com. They did not send the reservation to this hotel and so after driving for 4hrs when I reached there at 11:30PM I was told I have no reservation. They called Hotels.com and finally got a fax. Since I was the last one I got the worst room among the other equally bad ones.

Here is the story: My room was on 3rd floor which was all in mess. The whole floor was ripped apart, tons of old smelly furniture lying in the lobby, you can't even walk with you luggage, FIRE ALRAMS were all sealed "OFF".., EXIT doors all blocked and the floor had NO AC in peak summer, it was smelling like paint thinners and solvents... Carpet all smelling damp and dirty like a beaten up old apartment, bathroom door can't be closed due to wood all swollen from moisture. I couldn't find the elevator next morning when I was checking out as the width of elevator is smaller than your room door. I wish I had pictures of what I saw......I got blocked at all exit doors as due to the furniture lying around I cannot open the door and tipped twice due to insufficient light....oh ya for the TV no cable all you get is free channels with bad reception. Finally, I paid to ultimately spoil my stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank OregonBeaver
Reviewed July 30, 2007

We were on a connecting flight from Chicago to London which was cancelled late at night so we had to try to find somewhere to stay at short notice and at 1am. Surprisingly this hotel was listed on the O'Hare airports list of accommodation in the area! A lady was complaining as we arrived that a man was asking her where he could find prostitutes, we had nowhere else to go and so our party of 4 asked for one room and stuck together. The hotel is dingy and dirty and the rooms were dirty, horrible, cold and we didn't feel safe at all! There were no toiletries available in the bathroom and when we asked we were given a travel sized orange flavoured toothpaste and told that was all they had. The shower was broke and there was no hot water.
We made a quick exit the next morning and found a more central hotel which was of a better standard for our second nights stay.
I would not recomment this hotel to anyone, even though it is cheap ($89 a room) and have recommended that O'Hare airport remove it from their list. NIghtmare stay!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank ann962
saleslady53, Director of Sales and Marketing at Howard Johnson Addison O'Hare Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2008

I'm writing in response to your email dated last year.

This hotel was purchased in 2007 from someone who ran it into to the ground. The new owners have worked very hard to rehab and update this hotel in cooperation with the city of Addison.

Please accept our apologies and if you have any other comments or recommendations, please, let me know.

Warm regards,

Linda Panozzo
Director of Sales &: Marketing

Also consider these accommodations in or near Addison
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Elmhurst - O'Hare
Hampton Inn & Suites Addison
Regal Inn Chicago-O'hare Airport Franklin Park
SpringHill Suites Chicago Elmhurst/Oakbrook Area
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Chicago O'Hare South, IL
Courtyard Chicago Wood Dale/Itasca

Been to Howard Johnson Addison O'Hare Airport? Share your experiences!