“Worst Hotel I've ever been to.”

Howard Johnson Addison O'Hare Airport
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Addison
Madison, Wisconsin
“Worst Hotel I've ever been to.”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I was another victim of an American Airlines delay that got stuck at this hotel. My wife and I got in about 1am on a Saturday night. Upon arriving on the shuttle, which was a recycled family van and showed it, we found there were no signs even showing the hotel was a hotel. The area the property was in was a place I would never have driven through on my own at 1am.

The front desk clerk was nice and helpful. Upon going to our room we had to walk through 3 different hallways, each of which had it's own unique awful smell. Upon getting to our room we found it to be far less than quality. We found burn marks in the carpet. There were paint marks on the walls where rather than repainting the whole room they had just painted small spaces. There were GANG SIGNS written on the ceiling in pen.

The bathroom was very old and disgusting. There were cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. The shower faucet constantly leaked. The floor was sticky. The towels were stained. I tried to take a towel off the towel rack and the whole thing came out of the wall. The caulking on the bathtub was disgusting. Needless to say we never took off our socks or showered.

We checked the bed and didn't see any bedbugs but I wouldn't be suprised if they were there. The bed had urine stains all over it.

We were only there for a total of about 4 hrs. My wife barely slept because she was so freaked out about the room.

Upon catching the shuttle back to the hotel we got on the old Dodge Caravan. We made it about 3/4 way back to Ohare when the transmission went out leaving us stranded on the interstate. Thankfully we left plenty early and didn't miss our flight.

American Airlines will be hearing about our horrible experience. This came after an 8 hr flight that took off after a 13 hr delay.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Dave60859

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Fort Collins, CO
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We chose this hotel (besides the good price) because of the convenient access from and to the O'Hare airport: no drive through big-city rush-hour traffic. After reading the reviews, I was pleasantly surprised: The building is not new, but everything was reasonably clean (including the bathroom) and functioning, and the staff friendly and helpful. We returned for another couple of days after visiting relatives, and the second room was as good as the previous, so no exception. I think they provide a very good service for the price in that area.
There's a railway station close, ca. 10 min drive, where we could get on a train going right into the middle of Chicago. The restaurant across the street is very good, and the neighborhood looks like the usual city outskirts, yes, with a night club, but nothing to fear. (People on flight delays/layovers might be a bit rattled, I assume.)
There's one caveat though: the highway runs along close at the hotel's back side. The constant traffic buzz didn't bother us, but people who have concerns might ask for a room at the front/south side.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lynxtrack
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 16, 2011

American Airlines cancelled my flight and put me up at this hotel. I've traveled all over the place and this is one of the worst places I've ever stayed,. The location is pretty scary (think of locations with lots of sex stores and gentlemen's clubs) and the hotel itself is pretty old and dirty and in bad need of an upgrade. You name it and it was bad! The airport shuttle took an hour, the elevator was super slow; the rooms were badly light, the air conditioner was old, the cable was fuzzy, the shower was modly and the sheets had hair and various other things on them. I've been referring it as the Bates Motel and am praying that there weren't any bedbugs. I overheard my neighbors talking all night and the sounds of doors slamming and people waundering kept me up constantly. I didn't feel comfortable, safe, or like I was in a clean environment. Please do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank EllicottCity60811
Las Vegas
Reviewed June 9, 2011

This place is less then honest and the guy on duty on June 4th was an outright liar..
I booked this hotel using hotel.com because they offer free pick up from Ohare..Lie, they charge $15.00 each way and the guy told the Rep at hotel.com that they had already called me and explained this to me.. Big lie as they never called me or did I ever have contact with them..Hotel.com offered to pay me back for the charges but I refused as I would not give this lying crooks the pleasure of my business..
Please make sure what they offer and what they provide with this hotel..
I hope everyone reading this will not stay with these dishonets operators.. and too top it off they refused to refund my money for false and misleading statements on the website.. Hotel.com was able to refund my money as a good well gesture and cudos to them.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank xjailer
Woodinville, Washington
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Normally I don't take the time to review hotels but I wanted to make sure to warn as many people as possible about this hotel. American Airlines sent us to this hotel after we were delayed at O'Hare and had no where to stay other than the airport. We were given a $55 travel discount and left the airport to get to the hotel. I was traveling with my 12 year old son and it was 1:00 in the morning so we were desperate to sleep. We waited for almost an hour for the shuttle to arrive from the hotel. The desk clerk was very friendly and helpful and that is the only good thing about the facility. We were checked into room 231. I arrived in the room and could not believe how completely filthy the room was. Mold in the shower and the sheets had major stains on them. The walls had some sort of sort of sheen of what seemed to be either cigarette smoke stains or dirt. The carpet was so filthy that neither of us would take off our shoes. There was no way in the world I would have stayed there unless it was 2:00am and we had no where else to go. I will be reporting this hotel to Howard Johnson as I feel it should be shut down until some sort of renovation is complete.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank dwagner618
Joaddison
Reviewed April 2, 2010

The price was great, service was friendly. Airport Shuttle service (thank you!!) Breakfast included and very, very clean. Plus free internet connection. It was the best price and the best choice for me. So happy I chose this hotel after spending time 3 days earlier in an expensive hotel where I needed to pay extra for shuttle and internet.
So very happy with this choice. Howard Johnson, Addison IL = A+

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed June 7, 2009

My stay and my colleagues stay at the Howard Johnson was literally the WORST hotel stay any of us had ever experienced. I wouldn't even call this place a hotel, MAYBE a mediocre motel if anything.
I stayed in this place for 5 days and not a single day was I pleased with anything in this hotel. The staff was rude, there were strange people hanging around the hotel at all hours of the night and I am sure they were not paying guests. The cleanliness of the room was awful. GUM was on the sink the ENTIRE stay and was never cleaned by staff. Sheets were not fitted and kept coming off during the night leaving us to sleep on the hard itchy mattresses.
We had to pay a deposit for using the phone which is ridiculous. It was a ten dollar MINIMUM. Who would want to pay more than the minimum to use a hotel phone?
We had several problems in dealing with check in/out and had to solve these issues with the rude front desk manager who was there everyday, all day.
Our first complaint was the lack of wireless internet access as advertised. There was not enough signal to reach ANY of the laptops we had in the room. We called front desk and their help to us was "try turning your computers on and off" (needless to say this did not work and we were stuck without internet for our whole stay)
We would have moved hotels immediately after checking in but our stay was payed for by our organization who payed for us to attend a Classical Singers Convention in Chicago. That leads me to our next MAJOR issue. All of us staying in the room were opera singers in town for a singing convention, well this didn't sit well with the fact that the ENTIRE floor we were staying on smelled like SMOKE. (Even though we were in a non-smoking room and there were non-smoking signs posted all over the place.) We called front desk to complain about this and to have them move us to a lower level floor which seemed to smell less of smoke but we were told by a girl at the counter that they had NO OPEN rooms on either of the first two floors but they could move us down the hall to the other end of the 3rd floor. (Right above the smoking end of the 2nd floor? No thanks) So we had to stay where we were because it was our best option. It was interesting to hear that there were NO open rooms when there wasn't more than ten cars in the entire parking lot at any point of our stay.

One of the most interesting things was a room on the ground level of the hotel which has its blinds open so that we could see inside the room from the parking lot. Inside the room was a giant fish tank full of huge gold fish (way too many for one tank) , a lot of trash, as well as about ten bird cages with little birds that liked to make noise so that we could hear them in the morning when we went to the completely useless continental breakfast. I found this interesting because the front desk had a sign clearly posted that read "NO ANIMALS". I guess the hotel is allowed to have animals, just not the people that stay here?

Oh then there was the issue with our room keys. THREE times in five days our keys were deactivated. Leaving us to have to get let into the lobby late at night after returning from our convention to get our keys re-activated so we could get into the hotel and our rooms.

Within the room itself there were TWO broken sockets in the walls. We had to take turns charging our blackberries so that we could make calls and use the internet on our phones during the trip since it didn't work in the hotel. Also, I had requested that a refrigerator be put in the room which was fine, except for the fact that there was only one functioning outlet that reached both the fridge and the TV so if we wanted to plug in the TV, the fridge couldn't also be on. Warm food or no TV, you pick. (oh and the remote of course didn't work so we used the TV once the entire 5-day stay.)

The plastic cover on the air conditioner was completely detached just propped up against the air conditioner by housekeeping. The mattresses were incredibly UNSAFE. The metal and SHARP supports under the mattresses were completely sticking out just waiting to hurt an ankle or leg.

I could go on for days about the problems with our stay but frankly I'd rather just forget about it and our hotel and focus on the better parts of our visit to Chicago.

Needless to say, I will NEVER EVER stay in a Howard Johnson again and I will make every single attempt to ensure that nobody I know does as well. What a loss of business for this company. I travel incredibly often and I represent a college in the State of New York which will be notified and this Hotel will lose business from the entire State of New York University organization.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank elhousss191
Mattathil, General Manager at Howard Johnson Addison O'Hare Airport, responded to this review, March 10, 2010
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete your review. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that your review is extremely valuable to us. Reviews such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues have been addressed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Addison
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Elmhurst - O'Hare
Hampton Inn & Suites Addison
SpringHill Suites Chicago Elmhurst/Oakbrook Area
Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Elk Grove Village O'Hare
Howard Johnson Inn and Suites El...
#9 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare South
Super 8 Chicago/Rosemont/O'hare/SE

Been to Howard Johnson Addison O'Hare Airport? Share your experiences!