“Fun, Sun, Rollercoasters and waterpark!”

Silverwood Theme Park
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Athol
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located in beautiful North Idaho, Silverwood Theme Park has over 65 rides, slides, shows and attractions, including four roller coasters, Boulder Beach Water Park, a steam engine train, live entertainment, restaurants, and more...
Reviewed May 18, 2008

I live in Spokane and frequent Silverwood. Last summer me and my husband went seven times and I will admit it is no Six Flags, but it is one hell of a time. We buy season tickets which only run 87.99 at Costco, so it's actually very affordable for us. I read a lot of reviews about long wait times for rides and I have a few recommendations for this. First, go to the rides second. Spend the first half of the day in the waterpark and then head to the rides at like 5. The lines are shorter and you can get through them all in a couple of hours instead of all day. Also, try not to go on the weekends. I know that most people have Saturday and Sunday off, but seriously, take off a Monday and you can do everthing that you could have done in the weekend, because there are so less people there and the lines barely ever take over twenty minutes.

4  Thank northwest_lady321

Reviewed August 24, 2007

Our family planned a trip to Silverwood after being told about it from some friends. We were told we woud get a military discount and so I sent an email to Silverwood asking if this was true. I was quote a rate of 30.99 for an adult and 17.99 for a child for a two day pass. We normally go to Wapato Point/Lake Chelan for a week in the summer but because of the reasonable prices I was told at Silverwood, we decided to mix it up a bit and try something new. We drove 6 hours to the area. We stayed at Holiday Inn Express/Raptor Reef which was excellent and made up for Silverwoods dissapointment (they know real customer service there).

We arrived at opening the next day to find out that they would not honor the price I was quoted. The lady at the ticket booth basically called me a liar and said I would have never been quoted that price. I told her if she could pull up the internet I would show her the email I was sent. She refused and went on to tell me I was holding up the line. I ended up paying 211. for our family instead of the roughly 120 we were quoted. We were on a budget and I was sick about the difference and very upset but my kids (6 and 8) were standing there and it was not as if I was going to tell them to get back in the car.

We decided to make the best of it. The lines were long (even on an overcast Tuesday) and the wait for a roller coaster was about 40 minutes. The food was pretty gross but on par with normal theme park prices (not as bad as Disney).

We thought the train ride would be fun but basically we ended up going on a ride where they ask you to donate money for a charity.

The park was clean and had a safe feel to it. There was a very nice male employee who worked in the Skee ball place. He was truly the only employee who seemed liked he cared about customer service.

Boulder beach was disappointing as the water was very cold. WE were told we should rent tubes for 5.00 as the ones they provide free are often being used and you have to stand in line for a tube and THEN AGAIN for the ride. I felt this was ridiculous seeing how much we just paid to get into the park.

As we were getting ready to leave my daughter and I went to the bathroom/changing area only to be told they were closed (the guy standing there didnt know why or for how long). We were told there was another bathroom "across the park". So we traipsed clear across the water park to find 20 people standing in line for a two stall bathroom. My daughter and I ended up changing behind the bathroom holding towels up for each other rather than wait in the 25 minute line to use the bathroom. Wow, all that for 211.00 admission???? GEESH.

As the day wore on I continued to get more and more upset at how I was treated over the admission and asked to speak to a manager. I was allowed to pull the email up and show them where "Layne" had told me the prices. I was told that he made a mistake yet they werent willing to honor the price for two days. They did offer to give us that price for a one day pass. At that point we knew we werent coming back the next day and took that "offer". I couldnt believe the lack of customer service. I had proof of what I was quoted yet they still wouldnt honor it.

We left shortly thereafter, disappointed that we drove 6 hours for such a dissapointment. We ended up checking out the next morning (early) and driving to Lake Chelan in Washington. We were so happy to be back there and will never make the mistake of wasting a day driving to Silverwood.

Unless you live close, I wouldnt waste your time going to Silverwood/Boulder Beach.

13  Thank olystacy
Reviewed August 17, 2007

My family and I (husband, myself and two kids ages 11 and 14) just returned from our summer holidays which included a two day visit to Silverwood Theme Park. We were part of a group of 20 people and every single person had a great time and wanted to stay longer! I'm no longer a fan of rollercoasters that go upside down and throw you all over the place (*sigh*, the joys of growing older), I simply like the up and down fast experience, so Timber Terror and Tremors were right up my alley and I honestly think they are the best wooden coasters I have ever been on. We braved the Panic Plunge (if you hate heights stay far far away from this one) and we got soaked on the raft and log ride. I highly recommend wearing clothes that dry quickly and maybe even a swimsuit underneath.

Boulder Beach was also a great time. We rented two cabanas for the day so that we would not have to worry about loosing our chairs. The new raft ride they have there had us laughing like little kids by the time we got to the end of the ride and the other slides were fun too!

If you have read the other reviews I'm sure you have noticed some people complaining about the lines for rides. Well what do you expect when you are there during the peak summer season?? And yes, even Disneyland has that problem. I've been there in the summer and have waited an hour for the major rides. Silverwood is not a billion dollar industry like Disneyland so lighten up on them! We all felt they did a great job of keeping the place clean (even my mother said so and that's saying something!) and the staff was efficient. It did feel like loading the rides was a tad slow a couple of times, but nothing I'm going to whine about. As for the food, it was the basic fast food style which is what you expect to get at these types of places. Although we didn't bother finding sit down resteraunts, I believe there are one or two available and what we bought was cheaper than I expected it to be.

Overall we had a great time and will be going again as soon as possible. Thanks Silverwood for some great family memories!!

4  Thank Truffles6
Reviewed August 12, 2007

We are a family who does not dine on caviar and champagne but when things are good for the family we go out of our way to encourage others to experience the same fun. I think anyone that's thinking of a mini vaction that has a budget, enjoys the sun, and loves the outdoors this is a theme park that screams excitment for all ages. The park was clean, the water was outstanding and the food/ costs to eat at the park were very reasonable. Much less then any sports arenea would offer you. The only draw back I found, and the reason why it doesn't score a five is that every mirror and window reflections added 15 pounds to my body but I'll work on changing that for next year. We are a family of seven (7) encouraging you to enjoy a trip at Silverwood.

9  Thank FamilyVacations7
Reviewed July 29, 2007

Just returned from Silverwood, bought the two-day passes for my family of four, cost around $200 total. The lines at this park are a major problem. I am a very patient person but there was usually a 30-50 minute wait for each of the major rides. When you are standing around in the heat this is no fun at all. The rides are great but are over very quick. I'm not sure what the answer to this problem is, but it's to the point that I will not return.

The water park was completely packed too, and not enough chairs for everyone. Lockers are inconveniently located and cost extra. Water rides are fun, but again the long lines ruin the experience.

Many of the attractions inside the park still cost additional money, the main ticket does not cover every ride. No outside food or beverages are allowed, you are forced to purchase their mediocre fare.

The nearby town of Athol is a beautiful area, I would recommend spending the day on Lake Pend Orielle instead of at Silverwood.

4  Thank Gorge_Trvlrs