“a nice stop when circling the island”

Valley of the Temples
Ranked #84 of 521 things to do in Oahu
San Diego
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“a nice stop when circling the island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

The temple in the back is a perfect reproduction of a temple in Japan. Kids like to get out and stretch their legs here, plus you can ring the gong, view the peacocks and feed the koi fish.

1 Thank Anntoinette

• Korean first
Delta, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Breath-taking Scenery and ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

Stopped by during a day driving tour of the island. Absolutely amazing scenery. It is free to enter but their is a $6 admission to enter the Japanese Byodo-in Temple which is the main attraction at the back of the property. We visited in the morning before the gift shop was open. Watch out for bird poop which could be on the railings as you cross the walk bridge.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Shiba604
Frisco, Texas, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Highlight of the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

I had read a little about the location, and were planning to visit, but while on a GPS driving tour we ended up driving right past it so we turned around. This was probably the best couple of hours we spent sightseeing on Oahu. It's quiet and secluded, without major crowds. The Buddhist temple is the major attraction, but there are other smaller temples and memorials to see as well.

The scenery around the valley is also amazing. The attendants keep the grounds well kept, and the mountain views are stunning. If you go nowhere else on a driving tour, go here!

Visited March 2011
3 Thank MarkL_from_TX
Washington DC
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Serenity now”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

or years I wanted to come here but just didn't. I guess my curiosity was not great enough. So after my first visit, I'm wondering why I waited so long. This place is located in a beautiful valley, but then again it's in Hawaii. Everything is beautiful. I headed straight for the Byodo in temple in the back of the park. The first thing that I noticed is the Japanese tombstones. They are absolutely amazing. The temple itself is sucha work of art, it wasn't even made with nails. There is a huge Koi pond with hundreds of Koi swimming over each other like swarms of hungry pirahna. There's a zen garden and a couple of statues. I thought Davide Carradine was gonna come out and start kung-fuing some clay pots.
Inside the temple there is a giant buddha and a room in the back where people's ashes are entombed. As you walk to the back, you can light incense. I kept hearing this bell tone from outside. There is a giant bell that you can actually activate by swinging a big log into it. Yes, it's very satisfying I have to admit. Don't miss this sacred spot if you have the chance.

Visited March 2011
2 Thank Bael
Austin, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A must see while in Oahu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2010

This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. I don't think any of my words could adequately describe this place. The view literally brought me to tears. Do not miss this place if you are ever on Oahu.

1 Thank hurley2131