“What A View!”

$65.00*
Small Group Sunset Tour of East Oahu
Ranked #94 of 537 things to do in Oahu
More attraction details
Owner description: A beautiful, scenic spot overlooking Makapuu Peninsula.
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I decide to hike to the Makapu'u Point Lighthouse when we were doing the "tourist" thing riding around Oahu. The sign at the entrance stated the walk was about 1.5 miles round trip... the mileage was off about a mile. I had a GPS unit which indicated about 2.6 miles from the entrance to the parking area.

Although the walkway is paved, it has a pretty decent grade all the way to the top. We were fortunate to have a stiff breeze in the 85+ degree heat. You cannot see the lighthouse unless you are at the top most observation area; however, on the way up, you do have one opportunity to see the lighthouse.

Please note there are no restrooms or places to get water along the route, so be prepared.

2  Thank Coastie16
There are newer reviews for Makapu'u Point

Reviewed August 25, 2012

It's worth a stop. Beautiful views of the ocean, the peninsula and overlooking everything. There are supposed to be humpback whales, but I was told we came at the wrong time of the year, so that was just lucky.

Did I mention it was free? What could be wrong with that?

Some japanese families took a taxi there to look at the views.

1  Thank pw0867
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My main reason to go to Hawaii was to watch the birds, and I had heard this place was good for the sea birds. It was no dissapointment. I had a red-footed booby fly within 15 feet from me, and I got to watch a few doen wedge-tailed shearwaters go back to their burrows. The views of Manana island are amazing too, great for any nature lovers.

4  Thank KCKV
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Fantastic view, especially to watch the paragliders performing, they are like birds and over the lovely water and next to the cliffs amazing to see. Lighthouse just round the corner too, great to visit.

1  Thank nikiandpauldundee
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My two favorite viewpoints on Oahu were the views from Diamond Head and the view from Makapu'u Point -- gorgeous! On a clear, sunny day, you won't find a better view. We stopped at the lookout south and uphill from the Makapu'u Beach Park. Be sure to take your camera.

2  Thank RetiredTravelerTN