“Great food, amenities could use some work”
Review of Down The Hatch

Down The Hatch
Ranked #80 of 1,020 Restaurants in Maui
Description: Now serving Breakfast, Lunch, Happy Hour, Dinner, & Late Night! Featuring locally sourced Fresh Fish, we pride ourselves on our Fish n' Chips, Mahi Mahi Tacos, and Ahi dishes. We add our flair of Southern Aloha with our Chicken & Waffles and Shrimp Po'Boy, yet have a variety of Hawaiian Island favorites like our Local Style Plates, Lobster & Crab Grilled Cheese, Calamari and more! Down the Hatch was established in 2015 by three childhood friends from Georgia. After years of living in Maui, and working in the service industry, Javier, Dave, & Julian decided to open a restaurant/bar catering to the community and guests of this beautiful island with their own unique style of Southern Aloha!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was walking with my zombie teen, looking for something to eat prior to her eating my brains. We found DTH & what a great find it is. The food was excellent, my Catch of the Day was done perfectly (I mean perfectly, not easy with fish), my wife's tacos were perfect & my daughter's crab, lobster grilled cheese was made with the real thing. While my daughter enjoyed her sandwich she forgot how rich real seafood is & took 1/2 of it home in a box.

Why only 4 starts? It is a bit expensive - nearly $100 for 3 meals, a beer, wine & a smoothie. No table service, you walk up to the person who takes your order, they give you a number and someone brings out your food - very Carl's Jr. While I expect that there is a certain markup in HI this was a bit on the higher side.

Overall - great food. I'd go back, but don't expect to get out on the cheap.

Caleb H, General Manager at Down The Hatch, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Aloha Bob,

Thanks for the review! We are glad you made it out with your brains, the undead can be brutal. We are also glad our culinary team cooked your fresh fish to perfection, as you know it is an art. We understand your issue with our style of service, it is a bit unorthodox, but it seems to work for us. All the same, thanks again for the feedback.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had read reviews about this restaurant ahead of time and it fully lived up to them! It is a funky, layed back restaurant with fantastic food. Mahi Mahi fish tacos...to die for. Could have eaten them everyday!

Caleb H, General Manager at Down The Hatch, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Aloha Heather,

Thanks for the review! We are so glad to hear we lived up to the hype! We are also glad you enjoyed the fresh fish tacos. You can eat them every day. Thanks again for the love.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

It's been several years since we went to this restaurant. What a sweet surprise. New menu..new look. Had a wonderful meal and our waitress was so attentive. We were so impressed we went back a second night for dinner. I had coconut shrimp and hubby had trigger fish. Both dishes were good. We will definitely go back when in the area!

Aloha Kansas,

Thanks for the review! We are so glad you came back! We are so glad you enjoyed your experience so much that you came back. Thanks again for the love.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Three restaurants right in a row. All of them great and a little different. This one I heard was on diners, drive ins and dives. Great food - good salads - Chicken and waffles where rated #1 by my 20 yr old. loved those baby waffles. The surf and turf burger was my favorite.

look for coupons in the AD booklets. Free appetizers etc.

Aloha Mark,

Thanks for the review! We are so glad you enjoyed the recommendation. Also cheers to your 20 yr old, clearly their palate is top notch.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great food. Wish this was close to where I live, if it was I would definitely be a regular. Portion sizes are shareable but so good IDK if you would want to...

Aloha Nacole,

Thanks for the review! We wished you lived close to, you can you know! Thanks again for the love.