“Trek down to the blowhole”
Review of Nakalele Blowhole

Nakalele Blowhole
Ranked #32 of 391 things to do in Maui
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is a great sight to be seen when the tide is at it's fullest. In 2002, the hike down was not too bad but since then the path has changed somewhat. You must make sure to wear walking shoes as it is quite a scramble over some of the rocks. We got a couple of great pictures both times. Before you go check with your hotel people as to when high tide will occur. Sometimes it is in the morning and other times in the evening. If you do this in the warmer months, make sure to take water with you as the climb back up really gets you parched.

1  Thank Nancy K
in 13 reviews
"parking lot"
in 50 reviews

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I mean, its hard not to like things in Maui, everything is beautiful. This blowhole wasn't the most spectacular thing I've ever seen, but I am really glad we stopped.

The water wasn't really "blowing" when we were there at low tide, but a few big waves that made it really gush. Be smart about getting too close too. There are a lot of hand written warning signs, so I'd pay attention to where you stand. Stay someplace dry and far enough away.

The trail down to the blowhole is nicknamed the acid rock trail I believe, and I can see why! All the rocks are lava rocks with crazy holes all over them. Really cool to see. Also, bonus, there is a hole in a rock shaped like a heart on the right side on the way down that we took a ton of cheesy pictures at (having just gotten engaged). it was cute.

We walked down in flip flops no problem.

1  Thank travelreimagined_jen
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The day we went to see the blowhole the ocean was calmer than usual and it did not look as dramatic as described by others. Before I went I read the reviews about people getting hurt hiking down the cliff so I was afraid to walk all the way down which might also be why I did not get the full effect. Still its a beautiful drive to the Northern tip of Maui with great snorkeling stops along the way. There are two off road parking spots; the second one is better if you want a shorter hike.

1  Thank Dorothy F
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Nice drive up north from Lahaina- although the road is narrow and one way, it is worth the drive. When you arrive at Mile Marker #38 on Hwy 30- there is a parking lot and the view to see the blowhole is just about a 5-10 min walk. If you are interested to get up close to it, it is another 20-30 min. scramble down the rocks and unpaved road. Nakalele Blowhole is a regular and guaranteed showing every 2-3 minutes! The views from here are gorgeous with the blowhole right beside the ocean. Must see and stop while driving up the northernmost tip of Maui which many visitors do not have time go.

1  Thank karenpammy2016
See more reviews
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I took my 7 year old daughter to check this out. I wouldn't say it is worth the drive for just this but it is great if you go to Honolua Bay first and then continue to the Blowhole. Don't quite see the hype with the hike - if you can climb a flight of stairs with no rail then you can hike down to the blowhole. It is powerful and the ocean is dramatic. We did get pounded by a wave when looking over so be careful with kids.

2  Thank treeh2o