“Hali'imaile General Store lively atmosphere and fun food!”

Hali’imaile General Store
Reserve with OpenTable
Hali’imaile General Store is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 1,032 Restaurants in Maui
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Hali'imaile General Store is Bev's original and most acclaimed restaurant featuring eclectic Pacific regional American cuisine with Asian overtones. We strive to use fresh, local ingredients and service with aloha. We look forward to sharing meals with loved ones, close friends and our new friends. Mahalo for your support and a hui hou (until we meet again).
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Unlike most of my visits to Hali'imaile General Store, I was in the company of several friends of friends. Usually it's a girlfriend or a date that lures me out to one of my favorite restaurants. Although, I must confess that I have sat at the bar "o solo mio" before and there is never a lack of nice folks to converse with. This last Friday was a really fun time!

Bev and Joe Gannon were there to nurture their fabulous restaurant through the busiest time of a Friday night. Joe is such a cordial host and spends his time saying hello and making everyone feel at home. Chef Bev takes time out from time to time to join Joe in his social meanderings on the floor.

All of the culinary delights that were being served on my left and right already had me itching to come back soon! In the meantime, my first business of the evening is to order a Lemon Drop Martini. I know Dana, the awesome bartendress, has some magic ingredient that she sneaks in there when I am not looking. They are SOOO delicious! I have enjoyed many other razzling concoctions "by Dana" but I keep coming back to Lemon Drops!

Sad to say (or good to say if you like losing weight & getting healthier), I've been on a wheat free/low carb diet for health reasons. Don't get me wrong, I really don't miss wheat that much but it really DOES limit what you can order at nice restaurants! My first course was the Fresh Fish Ceviche (left side of the menu). It was made with Mahi Mahi and avocado and it was some of the best I have ever enjoyed. Honestly, I'm a mono-eater and I would have been happy to have 2-3 orders of just this one delicacy. My next foray was Goat Cheese and Beet Salad. The flavors were so well defined and delicious that they just about jumped off the dish! One of my friends had the Pan Seared Scallops. I plan on having those next week. Holy Macaroni! Don't they look out of this world??!! (see picture I posted here)

They always seem to have a very good array of wines by the glass which I appreciate quite a bit. I like robust reds so I had a Justin cabernet the other night.

We had such a great time and wonderful food that we are all going back again next week.

2  Thank MelissaMcCoy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,295)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

After hearing a lot of hype about this restaurant, my husband and I went for lunch. The setting is very pretty, and the restaurant itself is really charming. Our service was good, all of the staff both friendly and efficient. The food itself was a mixed bag: the fish sandwich (Mahi, I think) had a slightly fishy aroma, surprising on Maui, and my husband's curry was on the bland side--overall, nothing special. We had started out by sharing the brie and grape quesadilla, another bland offering. By the time the end of the meal rolled around we were wanting something, anything to explain the glowing reviews. Our waitress suggested the pineapple upside-down cake topped by a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and it was everything she promised it would be--totally delicious, and worth the trip all by itself.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The best drink on the planet...Honestly...I have tried to get the recipe but they will never give it away. Only tease you with the various ingrediants used. And the food is good too. Really enjoyed the Shashimi Pizza this last visit. Wish I could figure out how to recreate that! And the pineapple upside down cake is so, so good.

The service here is also outstanding. It is a casual yet elegant place for a quick drink and app or a lovely full out dinner. We really like it for lunch or drinks as the secnery going and coming is so wonderful. A great stop, worth a detour, if you are in upcountry.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

When Bev first started her food was fresh and exciting and brought a new era to the Maui eating experience. But with success and more venues and huge turn-over of tourists I am very sorry to report it is not worth a visit. We tried lunch. The choices were poor: I would have liked to have known that the fresh fish was raised in pens. Our orders were not well made and we did not eat what we had and did not order dessert. The waiter was friendly but oblivious.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I ended up here on the recommendation our cab driver Mario while we had a 6 hour layover at the Maui airport. I had some initial trepidation as we drove into the middle of nowhere for about 15 minutes ( about a $30 cab ride from the airport ) but the bright cheerful atmosphere and many happy patrons allayed this very quickly.

The menu was sophisticated, modern and interesting and included several very appealing salads, appetizers and several great fish choices as well as beef/ lamb/ chicken.

I had a terrific house salad with blue cheese and fantastic blackened ahi. My wife had a delicious beet salad and gorgeous piece of snapper. Although the expensive appetizers were in the $20 range and the entrees in the $40 range this was consistent with the prices in Maui and portions were generous. We were able to watch the very professional kitchen staff from the table and ogle the gorgeous beef/ lamb and fish dishes as the passed the table.

The service was both very friendly and very helpful in regard to menu choices.

This turned into the best meal we had after 2 weeks in Maui/ Kaui and well worth the fare to and from the airport