“Do not drive from Kahalui! Go Kanapalli way.”
Review of Olivine Pools

Olivine Pools
Ranked #206 of 488 Outdoor Activities in Maui
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Scariest road I have ever driven. Single lane, cliff drop offs, 5mph hairpin turns. I was seriously distraught about the return trip but then found out that the road was two lanes when approaching from Kanapalli side. It was high tide, not a time to visit the pools up close. It's so dangerous I hope people take heed. Definitely not an excursion for young children.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Our friends brought us here as they'd been before and loved it. Our families were wearing flip flops and the hike down felt fairly scary and treacherous to me (it looked deadly to be honest, though I've been known as a worrywart). We were encouraged to continue our trek by the fact our friends had been before, had even younger children than our own, and there were half a dozen other visitors already down in the pools. We slipped and slid a couple times on the hike down (tip: wear beach shoes with good tread or tennis shoes!) but didn't fall and were happy and rewarded when we reached the bottom to be in such a beautiful spot. However, moments after arrival we saw a rogue wave wash over the rocks in front of the pool and nearly knock down four adults standing near the top, they all teetered and wavered for a moment before righting themselves. That sight put an extra cautious feeling inside me for the duration of our stay. The pools are beautiful and even though none of us got hurt, nor was anyone harmed in our time there, I feel it can easily get quite dangerous. I was worriedly scanning the rocks for rogue waves and keeping my kids in arms reach throughout our visit. Visit if you don't mind getting a few more gray hairs! My friends and kids loved it, the lava rock is so cool and so are the views.

It's 5 stars for beauty, 1 star for safety.

5  Thank imjenclark
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

We made our way down the rocky path to find a spectacular site. It is a more challenging hike but we did it in flip flops. Just be careful.

Once at the bottom we had a fantastic time swimming in the pools. We were there later in the day so the waves from the ocean found there way in a few times. Good place to being snorkel gear but water is clear enough to see the fish without. The one pool is deep enough to dive into. A great little stop for a dip in the water.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have been to Maui many times and this was a first to Olivine Pools. My husband discovered this on TripAdvisor, yeah! Parking a little hard to find, as the pools are are way down below. We had our reef /diving shoes (high ankle) on for the hike down. So glad we did, would not wear flips flops as some did. Some of the rocks are quite smooth, so could be slippery as well. As you get into the water, you will encounter mossy rocks, so the reef shoes were quite useful. I would take a towel, I used this on the decent and it helped equalize my hands against the rocks (great pad too!).

1  Thank triptravelCA
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Such a cool little hidden spot. Hidden so well that we drove past it 3x haha. You'll see a dirt "parking lot" with an old sign for smoothies and you'll know you're there. We walked down the dirt path and ended up veering left and climbed down the rocks to get to the pools. Definitely not recommended in flip flops or for those who aren't steady on their feet, it's definitely a steep climb at times. But once you get there it's awesome. We only stayed for 15 minutes or so, long enough for my husband to jump in one of the pools (I was too scared of a rogue wave thanks to the reviews I had read about one guy breaking his leg and another girl getting pulled out to sea and having to be rescued by the coast guard!) and then we made our way up. Definitely worth the visit if you take the drive up north.