“Lost the Aloha! Rude Staff.”

Roberts Hawaii Historical Valley & City Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: This tour is rich with history and beauty. You’ll see two of Maui’s most popular sights: Iao Valley and Lahaina Town. Iao Valley is a tranquil, lush paradise of exotic plants and natural pools. During your journey into the valley, your guide will tell you about a famous battle that occurred in the area in 1790 that changed Hawaiian history forever. Rising 2,250 feet out of the earth you’ ll see a rock pinnacle, known as “Iao Needle.” This green stone pillar was used as a natural altar in ancient times. The top of the Iao Needle is sometimes hidden behind mist or clouds, but that often only adds to the drama of this extraordinary natural wonder. From there, you’ll head to the little historic fishing village of Lahaina. Now a mecca for shoppers and anyone seeking fun, it still harks back to the 1840s when up to four hundred whaling ships would anchor there. Check out the 110-year-old Banyan tree, the Pioneer Inn Hotel built in 1906, and the wharf’s bits of history that have been carefully preserved. Since the 1700s, when King Kamehameha made it his home, Lahaina has been a casual place of merriment. And it still is to this day.Iao Valley*Iao Needle*Lahaina*No host lunch* denotes stops made.
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was a Roberts Hawaii shuttle going through town and called their number since they advertised shuttle service to the airport. Apparently they do more "tours" than shuttle service after checking out Tripadvisor upon returning home, which have lackluster reviews. In any event, at the time I arranged for them to pick up my Aunt and Uncle at their hotel and explained they needed to be at the airport at 7:30pm (2 hours before their flight departure). I was told they would be picked up at 5:30pm (it takes an hour to get to the airport from Kaanapali), and asked if they could be picked up later, or if there was some reason that was their latest pick up. I was told that they would need to pick up other passengers. Upon returning to the hotel, we found out they had other shuttle and taxi services for the same price, that would take you directly to the airport. I called Roberts Hawaii back and was told very rudely that this was the latest time they could pick up, and that the would not allow me to cancel the reservation because they had a 24 hour cancellation policy! Long story short, my Aunt and Uncle were picked up at 5:30pm. There were no other passengers or stops. They were taken to the airport and arrived 3 hours before their flight left. Thanks Roberts- lousy customer service, incredibly rude staff, and totally unaccommodating. At least you could have allowed us to cancel our reservation that we just made, to go with a more direct and later shuttle service, so my family didn't have to spend 3 hours at the airport waiting for their flight to leave. Where's the Aloha spirit? You need to fire the rude woman who answers your phones. Seriously, management needs to call their own customer service line and try to make a change. See how you are treated.

1  Thank FruitSalad

Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you are thinking about going on this cruise, DON'T. The boat was overcrowded with a very high percentage of Japanese tourists. The food was plentiful but less than average - I couldn't find anything to enjoy in the meal. We had the complimentary drink, which was a large, flat beer. The directors were officious and insisted in overcrowding groups of strangers into large tables, whilst tables for four often only had two occupants. The Polynesian show was good, but relatively short. The directors / hosts filled the time with inter us chants and silly audience group dancing exercises that occupied one of the three hours. We have travelled extensively and expect a range of quality and experience, but this tour plumbed new depths. In short, this cruise is crap.

1  Thank Peter P
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I called their office to schedule a shuttle from the Honolulu Airport to the hotel. The first guy hung up on me while he tried to put me on hold. Instead of seeing it as a sign I thought, 'Well, that can happen' and called again. What a mistake. This time I talked to Connie. What can I say, she is not the customer service type. Everything seemed to be going okay until there was a short break in our conversation. I used that break to briefly mention something to my wife. That was it for Connie. She admonished me about not giving her my full attention. I told her that I am listening. Nevertheless she punished me with several seconds of silence. Fearing that she'll hang up and I would have to start from scratch again, I had to almost beg her to finish up the reservation. After all we didn't want to sit at the airport forever. So if you want to be treated you like sh** while you spend your hard earned money, call the Roberts office and ask for Connie. She's got the skills.

1  Thank Todd688
Reviewed March 14, 2013

In Jan 2011 I did a 2 month trip around all of America, my favourite thing was crawling through dark lava tubes and seeing lava. I did this through Roberts Hawaii Grand Circle Tour. Last month, with 3 friends after my raving about how amazing it was convinced them to also do the Roberts Hawaii Grand Circle Tour. I checked with the man who booked it for us that is was the same tour and we spoke about seeing lava and crawling through lava tubes. We were all excited, it was also the most expensive thing we'd bought, but thought it would be worth it. The trip was a complete waste of money, we felt we were on a retirement village bus, we did only about 3 stops, a photo opportunity was driving slowly past a sight, and the windows were dirty so you couldn't even take photos, nor could actually see properly the sight. Additionally we didn't get to crawl through the lava tubes and we didn't get to see lava. We were all completely dissatisfied, felt robbed of our money, and wished we could have cancelled our Kauai day trip that we had already booked. a completely dissatisfying experience.

2  Thank srhswincer
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Tai with Roberts Hawaii was a fantastic tour guide -- We got the historical perspective and an overview of life today on Maui -- He was open to questions and with humor and serious discussion led us from site to site -- We were not hurried but kept to schedule and even got a couple extra sidelights -- We could climb and hike or just enjoy, as we liked -- It was definately worth our time -- Thank you, Tai --

4  Thank jg0919