“Magic of Polynesia - Great show; Food was good; beware of salesman out front”

Roberts Hawaii Historical Valley & City Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: This tour is rich with history and beauty. You’ll see two of Maui’s most popular sights: Iao Valley and Lahaina Town. Iao Valley is a tranquil, lush paradise of exotic plants and natural pools. During your journey into the valley, your guide will tell you about a famous battle that occurred in the area in 1790 that changed Hawaiian history forever. Rising 2,250 feet out of the earth you’ ll see a rock pinnacle, known as “Iao Needle.” This green stone pillar was used as a natural altar in ancient times. The top of the Iao Needle is sometimes hidden behind mist or clouds, but that often only adds to the drama of this extraordinary natural wonder. From there, you’ll head to the little historic fishing village of Lahaina. Now a mecca for shoppers and anyone seeking fun, it still harks back to the 1840s when up to four hundred whaling ships would anchor there. Check out the 110-year-old Banyan tree, the Pioneer Inn Hotel built in 1906, and the wharf’s bits of history that have been carefully preserved. Since the 1700s, when King Kamehameha made it his home, Lahaina has been a casual place of merriment. And it still is to this day.Iao Valley*Iao Needle*Lahaina*No host lunch* denotes stops made.
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We had one of those Entertainment Book coupons and felt it would be worth seeing. Just up front I need to give you a bit of advice. We booked our show out front from the show, and of course got up sold and cross sold like crazy to sit in on some sales presentation by this guy named Jeff at the booking stand. Heck all we wanted was to book our show for that evening. Did not really appreciate it and worse yet, when I wanted to use my coupon I was told it was only for the Standard dinner and not for the deluxe. But he "gave us a discount" for the deluxe show, which later I found the couple we sat with was able to use their Entertainment discount coupon (50% off). Oh, and Jeff's "discounted" price you can get just by going on line and printing out a 10% coupon. So no deal here and I basically overpaid by $100. Book your show by the phone so you do not have to deal with the "street vendor" salesman out front. Also plan on being there by 5pm at the latest if you are doing the dinner portion. They try to serve food before the show that started around 6pm.

Now you would think I'd give the show a bad rating for all of that, but the show was very good. Great entertainment, funny, much better than I thought it was going to be. Food, not so much. Even with the deluxe dinner, the food was good, but not something to brag about. We sat with a local couple who were celebrating their anniversary. We all had fun with the show and they felt the same about the food. Before we left I gave them my unused Entertainment Book coupon, since I would not be coming back again before the year ends. Maybe they can use it for another 1/2 price show.

1  Thank Duckman_WI
There are newer reviews for Roberts Hawaii Historical Valley & City Tour

Reviewed February 2, 2012

My wife and I have been on a few harbor cruises and this is definitely the worst. We are not high maintenance at all. For $65 per person, we expect a decent vessel to cruise, decent entertainment and good food. All three things were missing from this experience.

The vessel looks like it was built by hand in some guy's backyard (albeit, a huge backyard). Then you get on, they sit you shoulder to shoulder with so when you are eating, you literally bang elbows with random other tourists.

The entertainment is objectively the worst of the activities we participated in. We did the Polynesian Cultural Center and the Germaine's Luau thing, Skydiving and some water sport stuff. It's literally 4 girls doing the same thing for like 45 minutes. They are supposed to represent all the islands of Polynesia but it's the same girls and the dances are pretty much the same. The music is subpar.

Now, the food. The food was really bad. My wife and I couldn't find anything in the buffet that we could eat. Very dry and bland.

These are the reasons why I wonder why this activity is pushed by all the "activity stores" that we visited. There is obviously some kick-back system at work here because this is not worth $65. Maybe 5-10 bucks but most certainly not $65.

Star of Honolulu is the other one we should have gone for based on some of the reviews we read but we figured we'd pay a little less for this one and get slightly less of an experience so we went in with lowered expectations and yet, they managed to disappoint.

The fireworks show at the Hilton Hawaiian Village is the only redeeming factor of this whole thing because you get to watch it from the boat.

4  Thank Gabriel S
RobertsHawaii, Manager at Roberts Hawaii Historical Valley & City Tour, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thanks again for your review. We've revised our menu and since February, we've brought a new chef on board.

We really appreciate your feedback as we continually strive towards improving our services and systems.

Mahalo,

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Over an hour bus ride through hotel stops in rush hour traffic. Cheering practice with the hostess for some inter-bus competition. If you like this sort of thing, good for you, I thought this was going to be a mellow, sunset cruise looking at city lights. The incessant cheering and yelling was annoying and a pure waste of time. Honestly, why do this?? The boat left right at sunset, and we almost missed it. It set about the time we were next to industrial areas, scenic beauty. I think the reason they don't encourage people to go outside is because the narrow walk on the roof is too small for the people they pack on there. Encouraged to go inside and eat in a buffet line. One drink coupon. Food was average to bad. Then a decent Polynesian dance show. Then the ridiculous cheering again...why? You could kind of see the city lights through the windows.
My feeling is they have the wrong boat or the wrong producer for this thing. Allow people to go outside, offer free drinks, kill the worthless cheering competition between buses where you don't win anything, serve better food. It ain't that hard. I don't normally write, but thought I'd save someone else from this experience.

1  Thank Jay M
Jennifer L, Manager at Roberts Hawaii Historical Valley & City Tour, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2012

Aloha,

Thank you for your feedback, we are always trying to improve ourselves. Regarding your experience, our goal is to create a fun Hawaiian experience on this dinner cruise. Thank you again for taking time to review us, mahalo.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

This was a total misrepresentation of the description. It advertised that it went to several locations for the dinner cruise. We did not leave the docking area. We pushed away from the dock and simply did small circles.

We should have been informed before booking that the water was not ideal for going on the tour. They did not share information with the patrons and I feel I wasted precious vacation time on this floating dinner.

The food was just ok and the atmosphere was mediocre. I do not recommend this dinner cruise. Do not waste your time or money.

3  Thank Stephyne W

Aloha,

Thank you for your feedback, we are always trying to improve ourselves. Regarding your experience, safety is one of our top priorities when operating the dinner cruise. The dinner cruise routes between down town Honolulu, and will take you out to see Diamond Head. We appreciate all feedback from customers, thank you again.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

My friends and I all agreed that the food tasted gross. They will give you a drink coupon good for any drink between $4-6, mainly sodas and non alcoholic drinks in this priceline. If you want something fancy, you have to pay more. I felt sea sick after dinner, mainly because i didnt eat lunch as I was expecting a heavy dinner, but opted to stay hungry since the food tasted bad. I stayed hungry rather than shove the tasteless food into my stomach. One staff must have noticed that i looked bad, and she offered me a barf bag (thanks, but I ended up not needing it). Felt better after the entertainment started ( took my mind off of it i guess) and had a good cup of coffee. Even the cheesecake dessert didnt make up for it. Sunset was only there for a max of 5 minutes which i didnt even enjoy because i felt so sea sick. I've been on plenty of ships, boats and cruise before, and this was the first time i was sea sick. Must have been because I was hungry. All in all, not a good experience. I would have had better experience (& food) from a luau on land.

1  Thank Samwisegamgee18

Aloha,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to review our product.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the entertainment, and regarding the food, we just hired a new executive chef who will be revamping the menus. Thank you again.