“Don't go here!”

and up
Small-Group Luxury Tour: Road to Hana and Ka'eleku Cavern Day Trip
Ranked #264 of 383 things to do in Maui
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place is terrible. Its basically a hole in some guys backyard that he charges too much for while shoving political propaganda down your throat. What a waste of time, gas, and money. These are con artists. Stay away and just enjoy Hana.

6  Thank Stello12

Reviewed April 4, 2013

The entrance fee is $12, which seems somewhat high. They give you a flashlight and you walk through the tunnel on a self guided tour. The entire visit takes less than an hour. Some of the formations are very beautiful.

3  Thank thall6
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I missed this attraction on my first trip to Maui several years ago. I was determined to see it the second time around and am so glad that I did! I encourage everyone to make a quick stop off the Road to Hana to visit the lava tube. Inside, the tube was much more than I had expected - It was a cavernous tunnel the size of a subway that had a life all it's own. There's guiding handrails throughout and informative signs that explain the history, cave life, the geology and how it even used to be used as a nuclear fallout shelter for the island. So awesome!

It's slightly warm and damp inside - I was wearing shorts and a tank top and was fine. I don't recommend traversing this terrain in flimsy sandals, though. The lava tube is adventurous, but safe and family friendly. You are provided with a flashlight upon admission...but don't forget to turn all the lights off for a bit when you are inside - completely dark!

Quick Facts:
Open daily 1030 am - 4 pm. Costs $12 per person, children 5 & under free. Takes 30-45 minutes depending on how quick you move or how long you stop to read informational signs. On Hana Highway (360), turn left on Ulaino Road (just past mile marker 30). Follow this road about half a mile down, you will see signs directing you.
Address:
205 Ulaino Road
Hana, HI 96713

12  Thank Marissa87
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I wasn't sure if we should stop here on the way to Hana as we had to wait about an hour for it to open, as it does open rather late for those who have made an early start to Hana. We almost didn't wait it out, but I'm glad we did see it. I really enjoyed it, as did the kids (4 years and 6 years). I hadn't ever seen anything like this and it was a fun experience to walk in the dark cave with the torches and see the formations. As well as the black sand beach this was one of the highlights of our day trip to Hana.

However my suggestion is they should open the caves a bit earlier for those that leave early for the Hana drive, it is a minimum 12 hours doing the trip to Hana and back in one day, as there is so much to see, so you can't really afford to wait around for attractions to open.

3  Thank NikkiBrown2010
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We found this in our guide book while on the road to Hana. I must say it was one of the best things we saw in Maui. The other lava tube we experienced on the big island (in volcano national park) is a major let down. They have resurfaced the floor and put lights in. It looks like a man made Disneyfied tunnel.

Not so with the Hana lava tube! Everything is in it's natural condition. There are hand rails and you are given a flashlight. It is easily walkable. The owner has placed signs throughout the tube explaning how the tube formed and specific features of said tube. For about $12, it's fairly priced.

3  Thank negramontana