“There's more fish in my dentist's aquarium -skip it”
Review of Molokini Crater

Molokini Sail and Snorkel Adventure
$144.67*
Small-Group Molokini Snorkel and Green Sea Turtle Adventure from Maui
Ranked #66 of 386 things to do in Maui
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Reviewed November 3, 2013

After a few decades of 100's of visitors a day there are very few fish left here. If you've never been snorkeling before, I can see how you might think there's "tons of fish". But if you have gone snorkeling before, you'd see more just going to any spot. The boat ride was nice and the visibility is unreal, but I took the trip because I thought (based on reviews, advertising etc) that the place was just swimming with fish. That is not the case. I strongly recommend saving your money and doing something else.

3  Thank Budowoman

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We went in group of seven people hoping to see a lot of fishes and turtles, all that we saw was a fish here and there .While in water we didn't get to see any sea turtles but once we got into the boat we managed to see one come close to ou boat .Our boat took us to 2 locations molokini and Turtle town since we had paid for the large boat we had breakfast in the boat which was very okay.

What you are paying is pretty much for the boat ride , you can see turtles and fishes at other free location in hawaii like kapalua beach or other beaches away from the commercial operators . Possible because of extensive tourist operation in that area , the fishes and turtles might have decided to avoid this area.

2  Thank Micr0wave
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We did the adventure cruise with the Pacific Whale Foundation who have marine biologists leading their tours, although the staff are a little dry (this is not a party cruise) the snorkelling was great, we were guided right out onto the edge of the reef away from the standard cruises and saw some great sea life. We then went to a turtle cleaning station and saw at least a dozen turtles. If you love snorkelling and want to be adventurous this is the cruise for you. And for people like me that want to be brave and adventurous but are a little tentative swimming around in the big ocean, there were noodles and other flotation devices to give some os us a bit more confidence!

2  Thank Cherriee M
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Aloha!
From start to end ( and I wished it never would ) this Family Run excursion is full of entertainment, energy, everlasting grindz, and enormous fish frolic fun!
If you like " throw back " or " old school " types of experiences this is it !
Lots of Fun with Little to Nun crowd. 1950's built Catamaran with all the charm and craftsmanship ( check out the cabin with its Meticulous restored wood work etc. )
One of the only boats that takes you on " the wild back side of Molokini "
I guess the best way to describe this experience - As if I was with Ohana on day out on OUR yacht.
I also found, it was less expensive to do all the activity booking ON ISLAND ( last minute deals and use a concierge who has report with companies )
I will show you " Aloha" if you have any questions via posts, I am sure - " I Gotta Guy" :)
JP
" The Director Of Fun"

Reviewed October 19, 2013

On October 18,2013 my wife and I sailed to Molokini crater off of Maui. What a great day it was! We left from Ma'alaea Harbor under motor power and arrived at the site in less than an hour. On the way we were treated to fresh cinnamon rolls,fruit, coffee or juice. At the site we experienced underwater visibility of nearly 75 ft. The crew was very helpful and truly showed their "Aloha" spirit. We both have our own masks and snorkels. However my wife had problems with her mask so they immediately provided her with one and off we went. We were told about were to snorkel and areas to avoid. I had a great time with my underwater camera, although the fish did not cooperate so I missed some good shots. We then motored over from Molokini to our 2nd site called, "Turtle Town" by the crew, not sure of its real name but it was about 3-5 miles from shore. On board we signed up for their "SNUBA" program, which allows you to dive 10-12 ft. Connected via an air hose attached to a regulator. What a great experience! We saw 3 large green turtles!! After our dive was finished we were served a tasty chicken lunch complete with salad and soft drinks. Then it was time to start our voyage back, this time under Sail. It was a relaxing sail during which time the crew shared stories and provided us with yet another treat, ice cream sundaes. The bar was open and the first round was on them. You can find other companies with the same itinerary,with lower prices and more passengers on board. Trilogy limits are around 35-45 passengers while we observed another company with twice as many passengers. Trilogy is more expensive, however our experience was a 10!!! It was a day that my wife and I will remember fondly. Thanks to the entire crew for a wonderful time!

1  Thank desertrat161