“Blue water”

and up
Road to Hana: Luxury First Class Private Tour
Ranked #114 of 383 things to do in Maui
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Beautiful crescent white sand beach. Guests at Travaasa Hana have access to a bathroom/shower facility adjacent to public facilities. Chairs, towels, etc. as well.

2  Thank Mike E

Reviewed October 22, 2012

If you want to surf, paddle board surf, let waves hit you then this is the beach for you.
I would not advise taking children there but if you do, definitely keep them within your reach.
When we arrived, about 9:30 on a Monday there were about a crew of seven cleaning the beach. Nice facilities. Not much around to grab to eat so bring your own muchies. There is a shower on the beach to rinse the sand off.

You need to park above the beach and take stairs down to the beach- short concrete steps. Parking is all one sided and there is not alot of space.

I agree with some of the other reviews. Don't leave your back to the waves. Always face towards the ocean because you will get a surprise sized wave occasionally. I had one crash on top of me and rolled me pretty good.

There is a bit of pull when the water heads back out but we had no problem overcoming that. If your legs are weak you will have problems. You will get hit with waves while heading out but we jumped them and when they were too big we figured if you can't beat it might as well turn and join it roll you in.

We went there to boogey board and eased in our way in and did not stray to far out. I would suggest staying in the middle of the beach and stay oriented to which direction you are getting pulled. We started in one direction and went back to the original put in point and then got pulled in the other direction. Staying in middle assures clearance from rocks.

Very nice mixture of some black and white sand and plenty of space with shade and sun. Won't need rash shirt or shoes. For women I suggest a one piece suit because your bottoms will get pulled off your butt. Mine landed at my ankles on more than one occasion.

Found sand everywhere on my body during the shower.

Overall, a great place to surf, body surf, boogey board. Not sure how you would snorkel there too well because of the waves but I think it is worth it to stop there and check it out. Smooth sand no rocks or reef to contend with.

Be careful.

7  Thank Pil0t22
Reviewed September 8, 2012

One of my favorites! Go in the evening when the crowds gave died down and the waves are really rolling in. Just beautiful!

2  Thank LisaGOklahomaCity
Reviewed August 30, 2012

At the end of the Hana Highway excursion, there is this beautiful beach that my guidebook called one of the most gorgeous beaches in Hawaii. The beach was gorgeous! Waves were a little big so care needed. Secluded, with lots of shade trees but plenty of sun! James Michener wrote about this beach - it is gorgeous!

3  Thank DbeJeffrey
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Probably my favorite beach of all time if ratio of time spent in water versus on sand is the criterion. The water here is particularly sweet and clear with somewhat overlapping zones for different activities--surfing, boogie boarding, body surfing, swimming, romping, frolicking.

That said, it is not good for weak swimmers or people unfamiliar with wild ocean--people represented by most of the negative reviews here, it seems. This is not a place to try boogie boarding for the first time. It's probably not a place to teach your kid to swim. It's definitely not a place where you want to turn your back on the ocean, swim out alone, or leave your children unsupervised.

A lot of that advice should be common sense but people still continue to drown in paradise so I'll just repeat some basics:

-Respect the power of the ocean and monitor changing conditions. I'm a former lifeguard, lifelong swimmer, and very strong in the water. Even so, the ocean will still kick my butt if I let my guard down. Stay well within your comfort zone. If your buddy is urging you into conditions you feel uneasy with, back off.

-Always swim with a buddy. Conditions change and anything can happen. An out of control boogie boarder could knock you out and not even notice it. Your buddy will.

-Surf conditions change from day to day and minute to minute. Sets of waves or even a single large wave could come through on even the flattest day. Never turn your back on the ocean. I've seen any number of people get knocked down as they were walking heedlessly out of the surf.

I've been to this beach several times and have stayed all day, most of that time in the water. The surf tends to be calmer to the left but the bottom there is uneven and there is a rip (just watch where the surfers put in; the rip takes them out to the break with a minimum of paddling). Avoid the sections where boogie boarders ply their sport--they tend to be the most out of control and heedless people in the water. (Sorry, spongers, but you know it's true!) The body surfing here is terrific but you've got to know when to pull out of a too-big or steeply breaking wave. Try not to break your neck in the shallows.

One extra nice thing abut this beach--and fairly uncommon on Maui--is that the bottom is sandy except at the very right and left edges where the rocks are. Plenty of shade, bathroom facilities, and freshwater shower round things out. Bring your own snacks, pack out your trash, and clean up after your dog. I've explored most Maui beach options and all around this is my favorite.

As for accessibility, there are gradual steps and a very steep ramp leading to the beach. I think you need to be fairly fit to enjoy this beach.

4  Thank Maui_Zowee