“Great experience”

and up
Historic Horseback Ride Lahaina
Ranked #103 of 488 Outdoor Activities in Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: We do horse trail riding. We do a AM ride, ck in is 8:30 AM. We do lunch ride, with complete fresh deli lunch. Ck in is 10:30 We do a sunset ride, which, because of the caring lengths of the days, ck. In changes throughout the year.
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Two of my party went riding on the morning ride. I was an experienced rider and was given a horse named Dixie who gave me a trot on command. I thoroughly enjoyed the scenery and the guides were very attentive to everyone's needs. It is one of the must things to do while visiting Maui.

1  Thank ekg14830

Reviewed July 16, 2010

Lahaina Stables is great! It's a little tricky to find, but once you're there, you have a great view of the ocean and the farmland that it sits on. I did the sunset ride and loved it. My plans got a little railroaded as I was doing this activity alone, and no one else had booked the sunset tour the day I did, so I had to switch days. Luckily I had one more day before I left the island. Our group was a bit large, I think there was 12 or so? But that didn't matter as there were two guides who arranged all the horses and got us on our horses, giving us enough attention. The trail ride was through the valley of the west Maui mountains. I was rocky terrain, but the horses knew what to do. It was about one hour to the rest stop, where we dismounted and had some snacks & rested (the horses too) Then we headed back the same way we came. Although we passed the same things, you noticed different things, so it was like two different trail rides. The sunset on the way back and it was a great view indeed. The whole trip was about two hours, so if you've never been on a horse before, it can be long. It is also a bit challenging for a novice since at some points it feels like you're right on the cliffside. Great ride, but if you're unsure about your 'horse abilities', then a ride on flat ground first might be a better option. That said, you can't beat the view and the price for what you get. I would definitely do it again. Warning: you will get dusty! Remember, don't complain about the dust because it is all part of the experience and there's nothing the stable can do about it - it's nature!!

1  Thank lucky_charm2300
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Amy and Kim were excellent guides on our sunset ride. The horses were all well- behaved and the view was spectacular.

Reviewed June 28, 2010

We arrived a bit early since we hadn't been there before. But the stable was easy to find, just outside Lahaina on the mountain side of the road. Char was our riding guide. She had lots of interesting information and was encouraging to those of us who had little experience riding. We rode to a reservoir above town. The trail was rugged and exciting. Lots of narrow passages and steep and and downhills. We snacked at the reservoir, had our pictures taken and returned to the stables just as the sunset. It was a great adventure and my daughter and I both enjoyed it.

Reviewed June 21, 2010

I had the joy of taking a sunset horseback ride with my fiancee and his father while vacationing in beautiful Maui. The views are breathtaking and from the beautiful mountainside where Lahaina Stables is located, riders can expect panoramic views of gorgeous coastline, turquoise waters, and a hilly landscape dotted with the ancient rock walls of communities past. If you benefit from the pure luck of being assigned Char as your paniolo (cowgirl) your trip will be seriously enhanced by her knowledge and enthusiasm for the wildlife, culture, and legends of the island. For a truly authentic Hawaiian ride, head to Lahaina Stables where you ride over the same paths that the royalty of old Hawaii graced.

Been to Lahaina Stables? Share your experiences!