“Great stay. Very comfortable.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ka'anapali Beach Club

Ka'anapali Beach Club
Ranked #31 of 53 Hotels in Maui
Grass Valley
“Great stay. Very comfortable.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We traded our timeshare in CA for this timeshare. It was all that we wanted. Booked two rooms for two couples since the two bedrooms had only 1 1/2 baths, not 2 baths. Worked out fine. Rooms close to each other. Had a large skillet instead of stove and oven. Not a problem for us. Our rooms had been renovated. New appliances. Everything worked. Bathroom amazing w/2 sinks, tub & shower. Pool nice, views great. Went to happy hour a couple of times. Good food and drinks. Staff friendly and welcoming. Went to morning talk about activities available on the premises and activities to pay for. Rec'd free buffet brunch the next day. Was OK. Not super high end but very comfortable. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated rooms w/ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
diamondresorts, Manager at Ka'anapali Beach Club, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
We’re delighted that you chose the Ka’anapali Beach Club for your exchange vacation, and that you had a great time here! We hope you’ll consider us for future exchanges to Hawaii, and we look forward to being of service to you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Overall this was a very good place to stay. We were on the Diamond "Sampler" plan so we did have to endure the timeshare pitch - more on that below! I would say if you are trading in here with a timeshare you will most likely have a great time, try to get room that is redone, on the higher floors. If you are thinking to purchase a timeshare, I would NOT recommend this one - reasons below.

Rooms: Since we were on the sampler, they gave us the 12th floor, looking toward the road and mountains. I guess they wanted to impress us on the higher floor in hopes we would buy. Very nice view, got to see thunder and lightning from tropical storm flossie on the hills and great rainbows. The room had a bit of musty / wet kind of smell to it. Seemed the living room carpet was just a bit damp feeling each day. It is certainly humid here, but still seemed a bit odd. The redone room was very fancy. Kitchen is small but functional. No oven or stovetop, but does have electric skillet which we made use of. Beds are outstanding, memory foam, even the sleeper sofa was memory foam and queen sized. So that was great.

Pool: Very nice pool, some deep area to 6' and shallow and in between. Slide was good, kids loved it. Only drawback is the hot tub - fits maybe 10 people. For a hotel this size, that crazy small.

Food: We had some drinks and appetizers during happy hour. Drinks were just ok and food was not good. Chips and salsa were a joke. I mean you can get better at costco / walmart. Had smoothies one day, just okay.

Service: Outstanding, employees did go out of their way to help. Valet parking was very prompt and courteous.

Location: Here's a problem. They call themselves Ka'anapali, BUT they are not really on the boardwalk / beach area. They are 3 hotels removed from the boardwalk! and they make it very hard to walk there. I love to walk in the mornings and this was very disappointing because there is a high fence stopping you from getting easily to the start of the Kaanapali boardwalk. It's the resort 2 buildings down that has the high fence, so maybe not totally Diamond's fault, but still if you call yourself "Kaanapali" then they should work hard with their neighbors to setup nice easy beachwalk.

Timeshare Pitch: Wow, what to say here. Well first let me say we are not new to timeshares and in fact own one in the states. So we knew what to expect and such. However; I would say of all the timeshare pitches that I've heard, this felt like the sleaziest, used-car sales pitch ever. Their sales rep and even sales director were so full of themselves and telling all kinds of crap. So the phrase "Just say No" would be appropriate.

So first whopper from them, we had been on Kauai the week prior. Sales guy asked us about what specific offer they made and etc. We honestly did not recall too much, so then he said well, they are dumb over there and don't know nearly as much as Maui folks. Basically threw them under the bus and said they just a bunch of hicks, but he was great. Second part, both the rep and sales manager expressed amazement that we were on the sampler plan - bought in the US mainland and got into their great place in Hawaii. They both said this never happens because Hawaii is so exclusive that they don't let mainland samplers come here. Then when we said we were on 12th floor both just acted as is this was impossible. And that we must know somebody in the company and such. What a pile of crap! We bought the sampler when we were in Vegas because we wanted to try and get to Hawaii. Well in the sampler book, guess what - it has Hawaii property, so we called on phone and booked about 15 months in advance. As to the 12th floor - that was all their decision, not ours! So, this fake looking shocked about how odd this setup was is crazy. Third: I asked why they don't have the Kaanapali beach walk and why they not part of it. Sales rep tried to give me some baloney that since they go right up to beach no room. I told him, that is true for a boardwalk, but many of the other properties in the 3 miles have same problem, so they just have a designated pathway that meanders through the property. I personally saw this at many places, that's how it can be 3 miles long. After that he changed the subject!

So why not buy: Simple, location is not centrally located to Kaanapali and Whaler's village. 2 bedroom only sleeps 6 max. But if you get Marriott they sleep 8 - in the same 2 bedroom.

Anyway, overall a good visit, just soured a bit by timeshare baloney from total egomaniacs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank RLCD
Long Beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We got to Maui for the first time this trip, with our college age son and wife. Had purchased the "sampler" from Diamond International for the express purpose to get the family to Hawaii, which we had put off for 24 years due to cost, or babies (twins) or home expense reasons. I had requested a high floor renovated unit which we did not receive, however the mezzinine floor unit we did get had an excellent pool/ocean view...could not complain. The unit apparently did have the "musty" smell I kept reading about, however only my wife could tell and me and the son could not smell anything. It was clean, the kitchen and bathrooms were redone, nice granite countertops and tiles....very nice. The furniture however, was pretty badly in need of replacing. They did give us a rollaway bed at now cost as the mattress in the couch was awfull. Our king bed in the bedroom was very comfortable, and the linens and towels are all top notch....better than Marriott. We did endure tropical storm Flossie's rath on Monday, which had us holed up in the unit for the night, utilizing the electric skillet they provide which worked out well. The restaurant/bar at the pool offers decent food with good happy hour prices from 3 to 6 each day. Great drinks offered.....the pizza on property is amazing, the crust is made fresh daily and was fantastic, along with the greek salad we ordered one night for dinner. They have a deli serving breakfast burritos/coffee patries fresh fruit.....we tried all and we thought the quality of food and prices were very reasonable. They offer a daily breakfast buffet, which they will comp one time, if you go to the orientation meeting they tell you about. The breakfast we thought was a pretty good value, even if you pay....lots of great items offered.
With so much to do on Maui (espescailly your first time there) we never got to just relax around the pool and sleep in even one day. Great snorkelling at Black Rock just down coast about 4 miles, park at Whalers Village and walk up towards the Sheraton, not a bad walk. If you buy something in the shops there they comp. 3 hours off the tab.....5 hours only cost us $15 bucks. Do eat at Hula Grill there....great food and location opens up to beach/water. Also do try to get to Mama's Fish House over on Hana Road......worth the price. Also, for luau's go to the "Old Lahaina Luau" as it is the best value for what you get....very nice. We did have to endure our timeshare pitch, as it is a requirement for our "sampler".....I won't go into that....except to say it soured the morning half of that day. Overall we really enjoyed our time here and do want to get back.....love the trade winds and people of Hawaii.....Aloha and Mahalo

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Kenneth Q
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We are presently staying here, for a week, and couldn't be happier. KPC is everything we had hoped - beautiful beach, wonderful views from our "ocean view" room, and a great place to spend each day. We wake up each morning and open the drapes waiting for the sun to come up, and go from there. The workout room has really nice machines, but very few of them, which is my only complaint. We have loved snorkeling and swimming and the beach chairs are comfy and can be moved around wherever you want them (except the beach which is actually too windy anyway, we just put our chairs on the embankment right above the beach and watched it all day, going back and forth when we got hot). This is absolutely the most beautiful place I have ever been- Maui is amazing!!!! To have KPC to come back to each day is just a bonus. Don't listen to others who complain about the views they received, they received them b/c of where they were purchased. When I purchase from Priceline, I get priceline rooms too. I believe at KPC if you are a diamond resort member (or a guest of a DRM which I am) you are way more likely to get the higher, remodeled, better view rooms. You get what you pay for. We are blessed to be here, and would come back again and again.

Room Tip: If you get to choose, at present, 8th floor and above are remodeled. We are in an ocean view room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jmcasler
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Ka'anapali Beach Club is definitely located on a great beach in Maui. The rooms are nice (if you have a renovated room)...but there is little to no chance of getting an ocean view if you don't get one when you check in. We were there 2 weeks and they kept saying they would move us to an ocean view room, but never did. The ladies at the front desk lie, so don't believe them.

Only other major complaint is that the breakfast buffet place is totally gross. Its DIRTY! I watched the staff use the same rag to clean the tables and floor!!!! The chairs aren't cleaned at all and are covered in sticky stuff. It was really sick...Plus the lady who is supposedly the "hostess" is NOT hospitable. People were laughing at how rude she is...She doesn't help anyone she works with and makes getting a table difficult. Guess she feels in charge of something by controlling the table her customers get. We just ignored her and sat where we wanted. Would have been nice to get a good breakfast in the morning.

Luckily, the restaurant that is by the pool (open for lunch/dinner) is actually pretty good and the servers there are wonderful-- but that is the only good place to eat on site....which doesn't really matter unless you plan on staying at the resort all day which you shouldn't because there is SO MUCH to do on the island. Maui is absolutely my favorite place in North America...no place like it.

With that said, KBC is an affordable average place to stay...how can you not be happy in Hawaii?!?!?

Room Tip: In June -- renovated floors were floor 7 and up. If not renovated, rooms are moldy smelling and pre...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 7Traveler7
Barrie, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this resort in May 2013. We booked an ”Ocean View” room through Priceline. I was told that our room was on the second floor. The room was on an interior corner. 50% of the view of the ocean was blocked by the section of the building that jutted out towards the ocean. The building totally blocked the main part of the sunset. Both the window in the bedroom and living areas had the top of palm trees in front of them. You could see some of the ocean between the branches. When I challenged the clerk about this, I was told that “as long as you can see some water, it is an ocean view room.” I was paying extra for this room!
When I booked the room, priceline said that I had free parking but had to pay any resort fees. The desk clerk said that parking was included in the resort fee ($25 a day – stayed 6 days: total: $150). Hence, I was actually paying for parking.
With the two problems, I asked to see a manager. After a lengthy discussion, I was given a room on the 8th floor. This suite had a better view ( but still 50% blocked by the building). There was no movement on reducing the resort fee. The manager claimed that priceline was at fault for advertising free parking putting - even though it was clearly stated on my confirmation page. When I got home, Priceline was called. They indicated that they would not refund a portion of the resort fee to me. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and filed a complaint with them. Thanks to the Bureau, priceline finally reimbursed me the resort fee.
Recommendation: If you stay here, ask for a room on the south side, fourth floor or higher if you want to see sunsets. Do not believe that parking is free. If you are looking to buy into the timeshare, be careful about specifying where your room is located. In addition, do not be fooled by white tablecloths at you free breakfast. You do not see them at the restaurants if you are paying for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
On a positive note, the food was good. The resort was very clean and comfortable. Unfortunately, the problems overshadowed the fun.

Room Tip: Make sure that you specify the room location.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Gary G
diamondresorts, Manager at Ka'anapali Beach Club, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
We are deeply sorry to read about your disappointment following your recent stay at Kaanapali Beach Club. We would like to advise, however, that we do rely on our 3rd party partners to provide our guests with comprehensive advice and we apologise if you felt that some of the information presented to you was misleading. We are, however, glad that we were able to offer you an alternative apartment, by which the quality of your stay was improved. Nevertheless, we are of course very sorry for the disappointment and dissatisfaction you may have experienced and we hope that this will not deter you from considering making the most of our comfortable and well kept resort and giving us another chance in the future
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Club 4 times so far, and every stay is ALWAYS a pleasure. The staff always have gone out of their way to make sure our stay is great. Not to mention that just about the entire staff knows me from each of my stays. My buddy and staff member King and the front desk group have helped us get wonderful rooms facing the ocean and west Maui mountains. Every suite at the KBC is large and spacious with a spectacular view wherever your room is located. Pool is nice and large, and the slide was just renovated. The talking parrots in the lobby (Alex, Casey, Lil Guy, etc) always bring similes to travelers faces during the stay. There is also a timeshare district it you are interested. Do note that the hotel is currently getting renovated top to bottom also. An activity center is also located downstairs with Susan, Bryson and a few other awesome people! Bowling and mini golf is also included. The "Pepto Bismol Colored Palace" is another way to experience the real luxury of ALOHA on Kaanapali beach. And if anyone from the KBC staff, this is Kyle and this is MY review.
Mahalo Kaanapali Beach Club for the memories so far!

Room Tip: Make sure to call ahead and ask if you can get a renovated room noted on your reservation. Its just...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank delta757man
diamondresorts, Manager at Ka'anapali Beach Club, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
We’re really pleased that you enjoy staying at the Ka’anapali Beach Club – thank you for this lovely review! We hope to see you again soon!