“Paradise!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ka'anapali Beach Club
Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Maui
“Paradise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

Loved this place! We lucked out and got a pool view with partial ocean view. Large double lanai (balcony). Comfortable beds (even the pull-out couch!) Nice little kitchenette. Full size refrigerator. Beautiful grounds and pool area. Snorkeling at the beach. lt was a little too rocky for boogie boarding, but just to the right of the hotel is a nice sandy beach area. We whale-watched right from our hotel beach! Happy hour from 3 to 5 at the poolside bar for reasonable drinks and appetizers. We didn't use any other restaurants at the facility . We went to the Farmer's Market a couple blocks away and ate meals from our room most of the time. They have nice BBQs and we checked out BBQ tools from the front desk.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank AZwildflower

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

I purchased a week at Ka'anapali Beach Club, off of eBay, from Tonya Wiliiams of Dream Travel Condos (travelinqueen - eBay username). I could not have been more skeptical of either my purchase or the resort itself -- especially with the ocassional negative review here on TripAdvisor. However, everything was perfect!

We arrived to an oceanview room and could see full whale breaches from our balcony. My husband and I slept great on the large bed. No idea how the kids slept, but they didn't complain about the queen-size pull-out sofa.

I type this as I sit on the balcony our last night here. Yes -- at least on the "non-pool" side of the resort, I had free wireless access on the balcony. We're sad to be leaving, but a few other comments on the current amenities. It seems the resort has changed hands a number of times and available amenities change as well.

The one-acre pool is great. My kids played in it all week. Friday was "Aloha Friday" and there were $2 grilled cheese and plenty of kids activities around the pool. The slide was shorter than some others, about 25 ft, but still entertained.

The room was well-appointed though I did find myself wishing for a measuring cup. Lo and behold! 3 days into our stay the management replaced all the dinnerware and brought new plates, silverware, a knife set, and measuring cups! We cooked pancakes and grilled cheese on the electric skillet (could have easily managed hamburger helper as well) and had sandwiches/cereal/bagels for lunch and breakfast. Ate in all days except for dinner.

Plenty to eat within a 5-mile drive -- highly recommend Paradiso Pizza directly across the street! A great greek homestyle food establishment. As a matter of fact, we're heading there tonight for our last dinner here.

What else can I tell you that we wanted to know? Didn't really notice the "pink" after being here a day. One restaurant (Ohana Grill) & one take-out kind of place (Maui Pizza) on site. Good bar, prices on par with the rest of the island. All staff we encountered were exceptionally friendly and always helpful!

I was surprised at the number of people I talked to at the resort who were surprised there was no stove. There's no stove, just a kitchenette but it worked just fine for us. There's a supermarket across the street and an ABC store right down the road. Get your pool toy floaties at ABC -- much cheaper!

For activities, we went on a cool whale watch with Trilogy and went to the family magic show, Kupanaha. The rest of the time, we played and relaxed by the pool. Suited our family perfectly. We're pretty low maintenance and relatively self-entertaining.

Bring at least one reuseable grocery bag, or something similar; Maui is a "plastic bag free" zone.

We live on Oahu and have vacationed on all the major islands in the Hawaiin chain -- this was our favorite stay, favorite place.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank swagsherman
Portland OR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

I strongly recommend that everyone think twice before making a reservation at this hotel. I did a lot of research to find a hotel that had a kitchen and suite setup for a reasonable rate. When I showed up at the hotel after a long day of traveling, they informed me that they were overbooked and would have to send me to a hotel down the street. I asked if I would still have a beach view and kitchen at this new hotel and they said, "Oh yes, you will love it!" and pushed some paperwork into my face saying that I accept the change. I got to the new hotel, they had no suites, no kitchens, not even a microwave. They said they were unaffiliated with the Kaanapali beach club and that the beach club had simply booked us a room down there due to the overflow. Luckily the customer service at the Sheridan was amazing but we were completely inconvenienced and had no kitchen or suite for the exact same cost. Why the horrible treatment? Well as you have probably read, the Kaanapali beach club is a time share through diamond resorts and they will call you about 1 week prior to your arrival and ask you to schedule to attend one of their sales pitch sessions. I said no to this when they called me and I'm 90% sure this is why they were "overbooked" for all 5 nights of my stay. I would NEVER stay at any diamond resort in the future and if you do dare to make a reservation with this horrible establishment, be sure to say yes to the sales pitch or be prepared to be re-located. There are plenty of other great hotels on Kaanapali beach that actually know the meaning of customer service...book one of those.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank vacationerPortland
lompoc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2011

It was a great place to stay and a great location. The pool was very nice and it's right on the beach. The hidden gem in this place is the breakfast on the bottom floor. It was so nice to buy the meals for the week and I knew I was going to have a great meal for breakfast every morning. The staff was friendly and helpful. There is a shop on the beach in which you can rent equipment such as snorkel gear or even take a scubba class if you desire. The grounds are beautiful and my wife and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jgut69
denver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

If you have exchanged a "pretty nice," relative upscale time share for this one this place will CONSTANTLY frustrate and disappoint you.

We were put into a room with two double beds. We're reasonably fit so we could fit but who expects to sleep as a couple in a double bed when at a resort? We were able to be switched to a room with a king size. However, on the morning of the day they were supposed to do it, I went to check if all was set up for it. They had record of the promise to to do it, but had simply failed to set up to do it. If I had not checked, it would not have happened. They were going to pick up our re-packed lugagge at 11:00 a.m. We came back to the place at 6:30 p.m. and it had not been done.

The food options are abysmal.

It is within a short walk of a beautiful beach and there are some nice places on the nearby beach where you can get a much better meal and a better ambience.

Good thing you can head out of it and have Maui to enjoy. (A short drive north of it there are wonderful beaches and snorkeling coves.)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank walterpaz
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

On our last trip we stayed at the Grand Wailea so we were a little worried about how the KBC would be, esp since our kids loved the slides and pools at GW. KBC turned out to be a wonderful surprise. The hotel staff were friendly, warm and helpful; clean spacious rooms, elegant large bathrooms; efficient kitchenette, amazing views including humpback whales from the ocean view suite, huge uncrowded pool, and a relaxed island feel. You can walk forever on the beach which is steps away from the pool.

While not as swanky like Wailea, the Kaanapali/Lahaina area has a warm, inviting, tropical vibe to it that felt "real". We loved the mountains/rolling hills in the background of the hotel; beautiful grounds filled with flowers; and having our morning coffee with a 180 degree view of the ocean.

We picked up supplies at the grocery for b'fast and lunch and went out for excellent dinners (Sansei in Kihei, Star Noodle, Aloha Mixed Plate, and Dukes Beach House--which is on the next property and an easy walk w/ delicious reasonably priced food).

And the price was excellent.

Turned out we didn't miss the GW at all at the end of our week at KBC!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Anthropologie
Thornbury, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

One of the worst rooms we have ever stayed in! Room was for wheelchair use, so door to bedroom had to be closed in order for bathroom door to be opened. Single pedestal sink with no countertop in bathroom. Had to wash bottom of feet after walking around the room. Mattress an old tired, wheezing Hilton model with no support. Smelly room since is was above the kitchen vent below the balcony. No privacy in room; had to keep curtains closed since balcony was open to inside hallways between units. Poor service in restaurant; waited three hours to finally have food served in inside restaurant.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple