“Best Snorkel Spot on Maui”

Ranked #72 of 378 things to do in Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: A great snorkeling spot on the southern coast of Maui.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My family and I came across this spot somewhat by accident on our way back from La Perouse Bay, where we were hoping to spot some dolphins (there were none). We decided to stop at this beach, and I'm so glad we did! The snorkeling here was amazing!

This place was not crowded on Saturday morning (just one other group snorkeling), and the number of fish and corals is on par with the best spots. We did Black Rock the day before, and there were lots of fish, but also LOTS of people there, but here is your own private fish tank. There are more hella beautiful corals here than I've seen on any snorkel in 4 trips to Maui. Long stretch of semi-shallow reef so you can swim pretty far out and see more, and more, and more fish.

Some things to note: there is no bathroom here, and little parking.

If you go here, please be respectful and do not feed the fish, or damage the corals. This is really an oasis, and I hesitate to review it, but you gotta go here! It's just perfect.

1  Thank aregenerate
There are newer reviews for Ahihi-Kinau Natural Area Reserve

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Be aware. Yesterday our car window was smashed at this car park and everything from the car stolen. Yes it was great snorkelling but there are many other nice spots that aren't so quiet like this place and probably safer.

2  Thank FunkyTam
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Our family of three spent a morning snorkeling here. It was easy entry. As soon as you are in the water, there is stuff to see. I got in first and already had my head in the water and saw that my wife had a school of fish at her feet in about 2 feet of water. There were about a hundred perch like fish. We swam through a school of black fish near the surface. We saw many colorful fish, an eel and lots of coral and things that live in coral.

It was quiet when we were there....maybe 15-20 other people. The landscape around the site is great, as it is surrounded by lava rock from the last lava flow 1000 years ago. It is not really hard to find. A simple maui map will get you there with ease.

1  Thank Paul J
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Recently I found myself back in Maui, Hawaii to do what I love most , swim at the beach, boogie board and of course, never is a trip complete unless we go snorkeling!

Ahihi-Kinau Natural Preserve is the very best for families to try out, just south of Kihei in Maui.
Drive south past the Wailea area and top hotels and continue on past Makena and follow road as it narrows to a small rocky beach area where you'll see cars parked off to the left.

This year they now also have another larger parking area just past the preserve to park and walk over. It might help to wear water shoes to the lava surround, and or rocky beach area. It's perfectly safe to leave your sunglasses or esentials on the beach, as no one takes anything.

You can also get into the preserve nearer the larger parking lot area, and can see many wonderful sightings there also!

Be sure your ready to see the beautiful life just below the surface, as you ease into the water you imediately see all different varieties of fish, eels, coral and turtles, I have even heard that sometimes a dolphin or ray sighting is possible.

This is a wonderful place to go, and be sure it's on your vacation list when you visit Kihei, and Maui, Hawaii in the future! Aloha!!

1  Thank HawaiianIrishgirl
Reviewed May 24, 2013

After trying pretty much every snorkel site on Maui, this is by far our favorite place. A little hard to find (road gets narrower...and narrower...and narrower... but still paved); closests parking just past the entry area is along side of road and about 50-75 yards away; the entry is rough - small cement "platform" but mostly rocks; cove waves can be daunting looking. But.... once you get in and get away from shore about 50 feet it.... is... worth it! Lots of tropical fish of all kinds. And, if you get out away from the cove and just follow shore line around to the south - huge coral fields and, again, just a lot of fish. Almost always a sea turtle viewing (sometimes swimming around, but often hunkered down on the bottom, so keep an eye out on the floor beneath you). Hvae seen eels on occasion; and even an octopus. I am not a very accomplished snorkeller and I manage fine; but - again - not the place for a beginner.

4  Thank CardsFan64