“Beware! Highway to Hell!!!!”
Review of Highway Route 340

Ranked #193 of 371 things to do in Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: Maui's northern coastal scenic route.
Pewaukee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Beware! Highway to Hell!!!!”
Reviewed February 20, 2009

Ah, I cannot express enough the fear instilled in me on 340. I actually had a panic attack, and that was before the worst of it. I also hyperventilated. They should warn you about this before entering, because we had no idea what we were entering!!! Funny the "one lane" bridges were actually bigger than the normal road ways!!!! I must admit I have a fear of heights, but this has been by far my very worst experience...I've also traveled Hwy 1 in California to San Luis Obispo from San Francisco and that was bad but still did not compare. Watch out and if you decide to enter hell, have a VERY experienced and safe driver please.

7 Thank missjennido

houston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Spiritual Adventure”
Reviewed June 19, 2006

The first time I traveled 340 was in 1979 when most of the road above Kapaula was dirt. We did not know where the dirt road would lead but ventured out very slowly especially since we were in a compact rental car. We got to the top of the hill and came upon a vista that takes your breath away. This appears to be one of the most spiritual places in the Islands. You can see the small rock formations that locals build to indicate a loved one or experience they had or are having. Getting out of the car and standing on the bluf overlooking the ocean and almost glimsing the Big Island mountain top with the warm trade winds very quiet and peasefull. Driving down to the small village that is now a one lane road was a dirt tract but not many cars or people so no danger.

Then as quickly as you arrive at the bottom of the hill and through the small village you are out on the main road close to the Ieo needle and back to civilization.

This drive is worth the effort. Much faster than the road to Hana so you can do it in about an hour. l recommend early morning if you are staying in West Maui. I also recommend going up to Kapalua rather than starting from the Ieo needle entrance to 340. You will not get the same experience. Trust me on this.

12 Thank rayc
United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Pretty but Unnerving”
Reviewed June 10, 2006

Highway 30 around the northwestern end of Maui from Lahaina is a beautiful drive with more impressive vistas in my opinion than the Hana Highway. I don't recommend that you continue on 340 over the 8 mile one lane section though unless you only plan on watching the road. The scenery is nice but the driving is nerve racking. This section makes the Hana highway look wide.

8 Thank bostwick