“I blame NCL for this horrific experience!”
Review of Highway Route 340

Ranked #259 of 400 things to do in Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: Maui's northern coastal scenic route.
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We (my 2 sons, ages 18 & 20, and I) were given a map of Maui upon leaving our cruise boat.

There were very few roads listed on the maps, seeming like it was just the main highways.
There was no warning at all and, according to the map, this highway was the shortest route. We decided to spend the day making the loop. After visiting Laihana, going to the beach and lunch at Whaler's Village we continued driving, stopping to take pictures along the scenic drive and to walk along a beautiful beach we ran across at sunset (a beach you had to walk down steep-ish stairs to get to). We were so impressed with the incredible scenery and continued on.

The road quickly deteriorated, becoming very narrow, rough and scary. None of our cell phones had any signal. From the drivers seat, I could actually see straight down as our rental car knocked small rocks off the edge of the cliffs we crawled on. Before long it was pitch black dark. At this point, of course the scenery didn't matter bc all we could see was from our headlights and the black drop off edges of the cliffs withing a foot of our car (and I was almost scraping the other side with the rocks trying to stay away from the cliff edge). There were signs warning of falling rocks signs and the evidence - many big rocks in the road. We couldn't understand how the signs could help anyway, other than make people more nervous, bc we couldn't turn around and didn't know what we could do to prevent rocks from falling on us???

We kept thinking we must be near the town by now bc it looked so short on the map as we crawled along for 2 hours that seemed like 5. Luckily, we didn't have to deal with oncoming cars. (I guess no one else was stupid enough to be out there at night).

The next day, the road to Hana was a breeze after surviving this drive. People on the boat couldn't believe we went on that road bc they had either heard about how treacherous it is before or were warned by the rental car place and forbidden to drive there. They even said the car places gave them a map with a big red "X" over that area. Not sure why they didnt give us a map or mention the danger; but we thought we were fine with the simple map from the cruise boat and our phone GPS.

I think it's very irresponsible and dangerous for the cruise line (NCL Pride of America) to be giving these maps out with no warnings, knowing that many people would choose the shorter-looking route. There were many elderly folks on board and I know if my mom were in that situation she would probably have a panic heart attack, even if she didn't go over a cliff or get hit by a boulder.

This was a horrible experience for all of us and that road should be closed. At the very least, there could be a sign with a serious warning at a point where you could still turn around. Then, people could still enjoy the beautiful scenery we experienced before getting to the horrible parts.

The daring young people may get a thrill from (literally) "Living on the edge"; but when your kids are in the car (no matter how old they are) you can't help but fear what tragedy could very likely happen.

I am upset with NCL for putting us in this horrific dangerous situation and I'm truly concerned about the other unsuspecting people. PLEASE NCL, change this!!

6  Thank summergirl8inthesun
"lipoa"
"horn"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Don't listen to these pussies. It's a great drive. Start from Honolua bay though. We drive it twice every time we're here. Make sure you stop for some banana bread.

7  Thank ashylarry73
Reviewed July 16, 2012

If you read the Map it says "Drive At Your Own Risk"! Next time I'll read the map BEFOREHAND! LOL Seriously, this road is not for those who aren't expert drivers with nerves of steel. The road barely fit the 2012 Camero I was driving. I met two cars coming the opposite way, believe me, you don't want to have to back up. The sheer cliffs wind in and out and there is NO ROOM FOR ERROR, YOU WILL DIE IF YOU SCREW UP. It's still uncomfortable to recall that drive. I'm glad we made it! If you're foolish enough to risk it rent the smallest thing rolling. Good Luck, you'll need it.

3  Thank Dennis M
Reviewed June 29, 2012

June 2012 I recently drove this road Kahekili Hwy 340 North towards Honokohau and Kapalua just to see what was back there on The Northwest Side of the Island. I Started my drive just after I left the Waiehu golf course not far from the airport and downtown I was on Highway Kahekili 340 Going Northwest. I would call myself a professional Driver nothing scares me. Well this road Got my full attention its not for anyone who is (scary or can't see well and does not judge distance and angles well). Its Very Very narrow one lane dirt roads up and down shear Cliffs with absolutely No Guardrail NONE and at least 200 or 300 feet up at times and if you make a small 8 inch mistake while driving it could cost you and who ever your with your Lives. I'm sure I will never drive back there again its beautiful but Deadly and its just not worth killing yourself over. So stay off this side of the Island because it can kill you fast and shut your vacation down before it even starts. and if you Must go you better make sure the weather is hot and dry because if its rains on this road I really doubt you will make it out and give yourself time to get out of it you will need at least 4 to 5 hours of Day light. Again Just don't go Take my word for it .

10  Thank m b