Book In Advance

from $125.00
from $249.37
from $392.07
8,334 results
All reviews road to hana one lane bridges leave early seven sacred pools garden of eden banana bread the black sand beach take your time hairpin turns gypsy guide waianapanapa state park beautiful drive gypsy app bamboo forest oheo gulch twin falls pull over
Reviewed July 7, 2017 via mobile

My second time over the years. A must do when in Maui. My advice, go early! So much more relaxing when other cars aren't on your tail and you can stop to look or turn without concern. Helpful to have a co-pilot rattle off good pull off spots to help the driver. Driver does not need distractions on this road!

Reviewed July 7, 2017 via mobile

Let me start with the positives;

We drove the whole road and much preferred the other part of the Hana Highway that is less developed - see photos. Simply because it had less traffic and the landscape was breathtaking.

I'd say this is quite a unique experience if you're American and you're usual drive consists of a commute or road trip along a 4-6 lane freeway.
If you're British then imagine driving on the old B roads around the countryside.

My main issue with this road was the locals. Politest people on earth however put them in a car on this road and they turn into absolute animals. They only thing I can compare the drive from Paia to Hana to is a game of Mario Kart.
I appreciate that the locals know these roads well however they have almost zero consideration or patience for other road users that are not from the island and are being cautious of their surroundings. There are too many incidents to list that we witnessed or were subjected to.
Having driven in London for many years I've seen a fair share of road rage however on this road it is completely unjustified considering how dangerous it can be and how many people have never driven on it before.

1  Thank Dale M
Reviewed July 7, 2017 via mobile

We left after 11 am since we booked a condo in Hana. Road moved along, but there was absolutely no parking at any of small water falls along the way. At one point we waited 15 min as workers were there fixing a landslide section. Many people turned around. Traffic was again fine once we got through. Hana police greeted us with a radar gun. Road gets very scary & narrower as you get closer to 7 sacred pools that are pretty dry right now. We ate at Hana Ranch which was decent... higher prices since you're in Hana. We'll stop at spots on way back today! Take it slow, it's all about the journey!

Reviewed July 7, 2017

We rented a car during a cruise stop and drove down the coast, while stopping at some of the main attractions. Nice long drive with beautiful views of the sea, the mountains, and waterfalls. The drive itself is part of the attraction as well, with tight turns, narrow roads, cliff drop-offs, and crossing cows along the way.

Reviewed July 6, 2017 via mobile

The drive to Hana is a bit over rated in my opinion. There's not that much to see and do even once you get there. Much more fun things to do in Lahaina, Paia, Makowa or Wailea.

1  Thank Lorraine A