“What a shame.”
Review of Blue Pool

Ranked #381 of 396 things to do in Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: A spectacular oceanside waterfall.
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We visited in 2010 from our home on Oahu. I grew up on Maui and always swam here. It was one of my all time favorites. I took my fiancé for his birthday, this being the highlight of our trip. Instead of seeing the place I painted for him for his birthday, we were held against our will for over two hours. That awful slime Frank Oliveira (not a Hawaiian name-Portugese) boxed us in our car with his truck before we could get out of there. We were trying to turn around to leave because there was a crazy man running at us on the road. We tried to turn around..... But he obviously had planned and done this before. He got in his truck and came up behind to box us in. He had a shot gun. He threatened to kill us with his gun, etc....and held us there against our will. No cell phone reception by the way.
This man has a criminal record and its just a matter of time before he kills someone...if he hasn't already. Is that what's needed for the corrupt Hana police to open their eyes?
We only got away finally because we apologized and talked him down from in our car for two hours, and I mentioned my family of lawyers. I don't know if it helped that we are local. He followed us in his car after he finally let us go. Soooooo scary.
This man should be behind bars.
Don't go there, or if u do, know self defense and be packing;).

Blue pool is one of the most gorgeous places in the world, so I say, what a shame.

35  Thank nooo12347hh

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Access is apparently through private land and should be avoided (and the pool itself is private from what I have read). One has to appreciate the seriousness of trespassing and the signage is not to be ignored! Verbal abuse, uncontrollable anger, rock throwing and gun threats are REAL! All of these happened to us today. There are plenty of other beautiful, truly majestic places to visit in the Hana area.

12  Thank Borntobewild1956
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We also met Frank who was an idiot to us!! I don't use that word lightly. Instead of swearing at people and acting so immature, Frank might want to tell the stories of how people have trashed his land. Then actually put up a gate a real gate with a sign on that gate. Don't lie and tell people he owns the whole road. We were here for a month and have friends who live on Maui. If we didn't know better we might think all the residents are this rude, but they are not. I feel there is a great opportunity here for profit for the people who own the land that is adjacent to the falls, maybe one day.

8  Thank jenny r
Reviewed May 23, 2012

My husband and I read about The Blue Pool in a guide book where the author warns you about the signs that the locals have put up but also labels the site as a real gem and says that you may just have to pay a small fee for parking to one of the locals. My husband and I decided to check it out. The road towards the blue pool is very eerie and quiet and we had rented a convirtible. We get to one point and all of a sudden out of no where I feel something very hard hit my arm. Someone whipped a ripe mango at us and we basically took it as a sign and got the heck out of there. I have a big blue bruise on my arm to remind us not to be where we are not wanted. If you are thinking of trying to see it, I would say don't risk it.

6  Thank daisy8888
See more reviews
Reviewed January 9, 2012

It looks as if there haven't been any reviews since our version of Maui Revealed was published (2008). Sounds like if you are sneaky or persuasive enough and come at the right time of day/week, you might be able to make it down there. We were unfortunately scared off by the crappy road (our rental had very low clearance) and the ominous signage to keep out and beware of dogs. It is obvious the locals don't want you there and it wasnt worth it to stir up a situation or-if we had made it down there- risked damage to our car or persons.

9  Thank Rtwolves