“DO NOT GO” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Pool

Ranked #346 of 363 things to do in Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: A spectacular oceanside waterfall.
ontario
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“DO NOT GO”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

My husband and I read about The Blue Pool in a guide book where the author warns you about the signs that the locals have put up but also labels the site as a real gem and says that you may just have to pay a small fee for parking to one of the locals. My husband and I decided to check it out. The road towards the blue pool is very eerie and quiet and we had rented a convirtible. We get to one point and all of a sudden out of no where I feel something very hard hit my arm. Someone whipped a ripe mango at us and we basically took it as a sign and got the heck out of there. I have a big blue bruise on my arm to remind us not to be where we are not wanted. If you are thinking of trying to see it, I would say don't risk it.

Visited May 2012
4 Thank daisy8888

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

It looks as if there haven't been any reviews since our version of Maui Revealed was published (2008). Sounds like if you are sneaky or persuasive enough and come at the right time of day/week, you might be able to make it down there. We were unfortunately scared off by the crappy road (our rental had very low clearance) and the ominous signage to keep out and beware of dogs. It is obvious the locals don't want you there and it wasnt worth it to stir up a situation or-if we had made it down there- risked damage to our car or persons.

8 Thank Rtwolves
Calgary, Alberta
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 359 helpful votes
“Blue Pool a no go...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

So, ya... Got in there and got turned around. It's funny how the locals set up fruit stands & other roadside shops to accept your cash, but threaten you to stay away from local attractions. I thought Maui was different, but get 5 minutes from the resort areas & tourists aren't welcome. There are quite a few "advertised" attractions that have been blocked by locals. I think in the future I'll spend my money someplace that welcomes tourists. I think the locals need to know that unemployent would be about 99% if it wasn't for us pesky tourists! There are a ton of other islands in the world to try... Goodbye Hawaii...

Visited October 2011
19 Thank Paulin_Family
Mount Shasta, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Blue Pool in the early nineties”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

Ignore the Oct 2010 date--I had to enter it in order to write this. I found out about Blue Pool around 1990 during a trip there with my girlfriend. A local who was a friend of mine told me about it and gave me a hand drawn map. It wasn't in the underground guide books. There was no controversy. We drove down the road, crossed the creek at the bottom, and walked along the rockstrewn beach til' we got there. It's beauty was unmistakable. We saw no one one the way or at the pool. The crescent shaped walls were covered with multicolored flowers. We stayed several hours, enjoying the peace, beauty, and serenity of the magic of the pool and the large warm rocks around it. A pity it is, to have found out that access is now denied. That said, I'd respect the protective locals guarding their precious commodity from invading hordes. The problem undoubtedly began too many people told too many people. A secret like this is/was something everyone should strive to keep that way. Save yourself the hassle; getting harrased by angry people is bad juju for you, so enjoy one of the many other pools on Maui, instead--and take care of your karma.
Rog Mt. Shasta

Visited October 2010
15 Thank rOgdives_7
Hana, Hawaii
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Stay out”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

There is too much controversy over the falls. Not only do you have to trespass through someones yard to get there you also have to trespass on over a mile of private road. There are even residents who patrol the road to turn you around.It is a sacred site to the Hawaiian people and a conservation area. People aren't even supposed to be visiting there anyway.

Visited September 2011