“do not hike this in the rain, rocks are very slippery and wet, trail is muddy and can be dangerous, but falls are nice.”
Review of Hanakapiai Falls

$140.00*
Kauai Deluxe Sightseeing Flight
Ranked #8 of 287 things to do in Kauai
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We just finished this hike, the first segment is fairly easy if it's dry, it climbs up about 700 feet but it's not too bad. I like hiking and I'm in average shape and I thought it was fairly easy and worth the view of the beach. as we passed the beach and made our way to the falls it started raining, if I knew what was ahead I would have turned around because it was incredible muddy, slippery and quite treacherous. On a dry this would be fine, but we literally hiked through miles of muddy water, and as the rain poured down we had a very difficult time crossing the river on the way back as the rocks were extremely slippery. I slipped several times. the falls were beautiful, but not worth risking injuring yourself if it is raining. Be very careful, I brought hiking boots and changed into water shoes but even in water shoes it was very slippery.

6  Thank Rhea R

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I'm not big on writing reviews, but these falls are better than almost any paid tour you'll take and definitely worth a tough hike if you're able to handle some difficult terrain. Getting to the beach involves some fairly significant elevation changes, and the trip to the falls involves a lot of scrambling over wet rocks, roots and muc...but getting to swim underneath the falls makes every step worth it. Truly magical swimming hole underneath the falls that feel like something out of a CGI movie scene. And the best part is the hike is hard enough to keep away the masses. My wife and I moved quickly, but came out exhausted and have a few recommendations/thoughts for those that follow:
1) Bring more water than you think - we had a camelbak and two 20 oz bottles, and still felt like we had to conserve. Between the elevation changes and the scrambling, you'll need as much you can carry.
2) Hiking boots/shoes are a must, and water shoes are a bonus. Bring both if you can and change when you have to cross the river if you want. We did fine with hiking shoes and avoided getting wet, but weren't dealing with high water.
3) Hike in something you can swim in when you reach the falls. Getting into the pool under the falls is magical, and as others have noted, there is nowhere to change when you get there (a good sign, if you ask me).
4) It's a tough hike...harder than advertised, especially if you move fast. But it's worth it.
Overall, if you can handle a 5-6 hour hike, you'll be very happy you did this...it's one of the cooler things I've done in a long time...

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Park at the end of the road at Ke’e beach the hike begins at the Kalalau Trailhead and splits of after you get to the beach. Get there early the hike will take a while and there is not a lot of parking. Bring plenty of water, lunch, and bring a walking stick! This is a strenuous and challenging hike for sure. Wear good shoes but ones that you can get muddy. On the shady sides of the cliffs, and the trail after the beach there are very muddy parts even on dry days. I would not attempt this hike if rain is in the forecast. There are hardly any flat sections of the trail, most is up and down with mostly muddy wet rocks. It is a mostly shady hike through the rain forest with lots of neat plants and trees to see, and the first half of the hike beautiful views of the Napli Coast. It took us 8 hours total with breaks but I have to admit I am a super slow hiker. I really did not want to fall and get stuck out there. I do step aerobics 5 days a week but I walk slow as my husband constantly reminded me.
The 1st time you cross the river is right before the beach and is the deepest crossing of the hike and will need to wade across the stream that was about thigh deep when we were there. There are maybe four more river crossings you need to cross. A couple of them had some challenging spots to jump from rock to rock. There was also one river crossing were we started heading in the wrong direction. There were a couple of spots near the falls where the trail was not well marked. We saw some pink ribbons in the trees to helping us out. I brought a pair of sandals to wear while crossing the river then hung them off a D ring from my pack to dry. We were there in January and the beach was all rocks and the surf had 30’ waves. It was very impressive but no swimming! Just after the beach there is an outhouse but it was most absolutly the most disgusting outhouse ever.
The water fall is maybe 300 feet high and worth it. Many people were jumping off rocks swimming to get on some rock under the falls but the water was so cold we only went in up to our knees.
I do believe a walking stick would have helped me immensely.

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We did the 8 mile round trip to Hanakapi'ai Falls on a cool April day, the first sunny day after a week of rain.

Part 1: Trailhead to the beach
Started around noon so we knew we had to hustle in order to make it back before dark. Lots of tourists with kids in flip flops (not recommended!). Trail at this point was dry and easy to navigate rocky inclines. But that can (and did) change in seconds. Unreal views of the coast! Beautiful panoramas from the cliffs. And in between its an amazing rainforest hike. Odd animal alert: 4 house cats at the beach sunning themselves and meowing like they own the place. Tame and people friendly. Weird!

Part 2: Beach to Hanakapi'ai Falls
Don't bother trying to cross the rivers without getting your feet wet. Bring Tevas or just go for it... better to get wet sneakers than risk jumping across slippery boulders. All rivers on this day were white water with limited 2-3ft deep crossings. This half of the trail is completely different. Fewer inclines but denser rainforest terrain... really is spectacular! Halfway in it rained for 10-15 minutes. (Not recommended to be crossing a river at that time as the water immediately starts to rise!) Made the trail muddy and slippery. Onward! Lots of rock scrambling and 4-5 more river crossings. When we finally got to the falls, it was... THUNDEROUS. Probably because of the rain. Windy and cold, just standing near it we were completely wet. No swimming possible today. Most spectacular place I've ever been! By now trail was empty, and we were nervous being the only ones out there with dusk approaching.

Part 3: The return
Twice as muddy because of the rain. We kept passing families still on their way out wondering if they had headlamps for later or were just that stupid. We timed it perfectly to be on the trail with reduced amount of tourists but also be back before dark. Gorgeous sunset too!

Overall the hike is unreal, like a movie set but its not! Just raw nature, there are no words to do it justice. Awe inspiring mountains and surf. Couldn't believe I was in such a place.

Do it if you're able and fit. I wouldn't say you need to be an "experienced hiker" for THIS part (I'm not) but we didn't see one overweight person on the trail. Bring lots of water and snacks. And be careful, better to go slow than twist an ankle.

1  Thank kauai18
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We did this 8 mile hike with our two kids - 8 and 11. They rocked it! It was a great way to spend the day. The first two miles you have great views over the Napali Coast. Making it to the Falls is cool - not too many people carry on to the Falls - most stop at the beach at the 2 mile mark. We swam in an amazing pool of water just down from the Falls. It was like something out of a movie. My kids were in heaven!

3  Thank rockside