“A local favorite for good reason. Pros and cons”

Hanalei Wake-Up Cafe
Ranked #385 of 523 Restaurants in Kauai
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Whenever on vacation I need at least one breakfast out just for the fun of it. I don’t look for “Wow!” as much as I look for ‘Yum!’ in the morning. Give me a good cup of Joe and a simple, well done breakfast and I am a happy camper.
Pros – Straight up breakfast done right. Nothing too fancy but high on the Yum scale. The service was fast and friendly. The prices were very reasonable and everything was nice a fresh. I ordered the omelet and my wife ordered the papaya and the sticky bun and splitting everything we had more than enough between the two of us and the papaya was one of the best either of us had ever had.
Cons- Cash only please! (Thankfully we had some on us…) I appreciate the reasons behind this though it is somewhat unexpected nowadays. It is a small local joint so don’t expect fancy…comfortable? Yes. Quaint? Yes. Linens on the table? No. We sat on the porch and while we enjoyed I could see where others might not being right by the highway. Apart from the papaya and local fruit there was not much for the vegetarian diner but, then again, that is not uncommon in the land of bacon and eggs for breakfast.
Bottom line – A great, unpretentious, diner type breakfast done well with quality ingredients in the heart on Hanalei…what’s not to like?

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stopped here one morning on our way back from Ke'e. The place is small and it was packed. After 15 minutes, we got a table. My husband ordered the standard eggs, hashbrowns, toast, etc. I got the cinnamon bun which was huge and excellent. Would go back again.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is the only restaurant on the island where I could not find anything to eat. If you're not vegan, go for it because tourists like it.
They do offer fresh fruit, but it's overpriced.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Went to Wake Up for a protein breakfast and had the omelet which tasted like egg beaters and the hang ten which is eggs with just 3 slices of portuguese sausage, expensive for what you get. Kalypso across the street was open for breakfast, didn't try that. Hanalei gourmet is excellent but no eggs

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I can't write a review on the food, because I didn't get a chance to try it, and with the way I was treated when I walked in, I will never go back. I arrived just before closing to ask a simple question. Do they sell pastries to take away. That's all I wanted to know. I was planning on coming back the next morning to buy some homemade muffins or pastries. This older woman who I'm assuming is the owner was so rude to me, she snapped at me and couldn't have been more unfriendly if she tried. I left quite shaken and upset. A week later it still upsets me when I think of her. They could give their food away and I would still not eat there. From the many other reviews that have had similar experiences I'm amazed that people are still giving them business. The Java Kai across the street has amazing pastries and excellent, friendly service, so why do people choose to go to The Wake up cafe when there are better options? Maybe the only way the owner will clue in is when their restaurant is empty and she reads trip advisor to see what the problem is.

4  Thank Duncan6