Open today: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

More Info
from $14.99
More Info
1,661 results
All reviews hiking shoes hanakapi'ai beach mile hike stream crossings amazing hike mile mark half mile slippery rocks miles round trip hanakapi ai walking stick challenging hike napali coast four miles wear good shoes entire hike bug spray
Selected filters
Reviewed September 9, 2016

I know Kalalau trail is suppose to be beautiful. It was nice for a moment when the sun was out. However, it was hard to enjoy hiking in heavy rain. The trail was muddy and rocks were slippery. I am not a highly skilled hiker. So I had to be extremely careful, especially dealing with rocks. To make it worse, my partner abandoned me (after some argument) and walked ahead. There was no cell phone signal. So it could be dangerous. When crossing the river, some of my stuff fell out and got carried away by the current. My legs got bruised by the rocks. I got soaked from head to toe for hours. Eventually my partner showed up after 6 miles hike. He obviously did not enjoy it either. But who could predict weather!?

1  Thank LWB888
Reviewed September 9, 2016

This is another of the ENDLESS places of pure, unspoiled beauty to be found on Hawaii's emerald Isle, Kauai. That said, if your not in TERRIFIC physical condition you should NOT attempt to hike along this site. There are many other beautiful, breath taking sites all around the Island, that you can take in without risking your life and limbs! Leave this for the ultra fit. However if you are in great physical condition and have no fear of heights, then I HIGHLY recommend this as a stop for anyone who wants to be challenged and see ENDLESS wonders and beauty!

16  Thank USMC_Recon_2003
Reviewed September 5, 2016

I almost always hike at least a half mile on the trail when I visit Kauai. Because this is such a rainy location, someone has to keep maintaining the trail. On this visit I was surprised at how good the condition was. Almost like an Inca highway. That is to say, you need to watch your steps and you will probably get wet feet, but the trail is not difficult at the beginning. Views are amazing. Be sure to wear sunblock and tie your hat down or you might get to see it sail over the Pacific.
After saying all this, I also recommend that you read the warning signs, especially if you are planning an extended hike. You can get hurt or killed on some parts, but a casual hiker should be fine for the first mile.

Reviewed September 3, 2016

I began the Kalalau at 8 AM uncertain whether I'd make the entire "8" miles. As a younger man, I'd hiked the Grand Canyon trails, notably to Thunder River and Deer Creek, a grueling 120 degree, dry heat inferno. Admittedly, I am older so Kalalau proved what I already suspected. After 2 miles, we reached Hanakapiai. A beautiful respite, but the "2" mile hike was HOT and muggy. An ocean swim refreshed me but here the waters are treacherous. I would advise only the most experienced or dedicated backpackers finish the hike in to "heaven"

Reviewed September 1, 2016

This trail is by far one of the most challenging you will find. The constant altitude deviations and humidity will be a test for even the most seasoned hiker. The camp sites are not for the luxury camper, with heavy rain and mosquito populations to be expected. The reward? Probably the most beautiful remote hike in the world, and a beach that can only be reached by those willing to work for it. Be sure to check weather reports as some of the streams are impassable after heavy rains and take a good water purification system.