“Went to the beach”

Kalalau Trail
Ranked #9 of 294 things to do in Kauai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kauai's hiking trail along the Na Pali coast.
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We took a 2 mile trail to the beach. It was very slippery and muddy. On our way to the beach, we saw a smaller waterfall and enjoyed the jungle and ocean scenery. To get to the beach we crossed the stream by jumping on the rocks. Many people decided to walk the stream in order to wash muddy shoes. Walking 2 miles on a muddy trail is worth the beautiful beach you will get to.

1  Thank Megi68
Write a ReviewReviews (1,577)
All reviews
in 30 reviews
"challenging hike"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

We are mid 50 and decent shape. I have knee issues and hiking poles were essential for me. We are Typical day hikers. Did the trail to the beach after several rainy days. Be prepared for mud, slippery rocks and boulder scrambles. Would have been a real challenge if more rain. We decided not to cross stream to beach to be conservative safety wise. The water was flowing quiet a bit and waves were roaring. Views are awesome and the trail is interesting. I'm glad we did it but not likely to do again.

1  Thank Travel2livewell
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Did the waterfall hike, which isn't particularly difficult, but is very slippery due to mud and steep grade in some areas. Be prepared to sacrifice your shoes, mine were covered in peanut butter-like mud (as were my lower legs), as the hike is a continuous sludge through mud pies and swollen creeks. The payoff is a spectacular waterfall, and some nice jungle and beach scenery. The water pools at the bottom of the fall and some people took a quick dip in the cool water. I'm pretty sure King Kong lives behind the fall. Well worth the effort.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I did this trail solo in March. I found it to be challenging. I would consider this hike equal in difficulty to the Inca Trail from Km 82 to Macchu Picchu. Unlike Macchu Picchu however there are A lot of narrow (like less than a meter wide) ledges which are sheer drops to the ocean - the trail can be VERY slippery when wet. I went slow and used sticks.

Kalalau beach is AMAZING. By far the best beach I have ever had the good fortune of visiting.

1  Thank TiMEtraveler95
See more reviews
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Accomplished Hanakapai Falls (8 miles round trip) Agreed - strenuous and challenging - even for an accomplished hiker. The going is slow because it is VERY VERY slippery even when weather is sunny. Exposure to sun from beginning to Beach. We wore hiking shoes from start to beach and then changed to Tabis (not Tevas) which provide grip in slippery conditions - weird footwear but they work. Even with the tabis, I fell backward onto a rock and fractured coccyx (tailbone)....and still had to hike down 3.5 miles. BEAUTIFUL/REWARDING views throughout. This is not a "stroll in the park" and should be considered seriously before doing. We are thrilled to say that we got to experience it....my tail bone is going to be experiencing it for months to come!