“a 4 hour trek in a Mud-bowl. . .”
Review of Kalalau Trail

Kalalau Trail
Ranked #5 of 284 things to do in Kauai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kauai's hiking trail along the Na Pali coast.
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Did the waterfall hike, which isn't particularly difficult, but is very slippery due to mud and steep grade in some areas. Be prepared to sacrifice your shoes, mine were covered in peanut butter-like mud (as were my lower legs), as the hike is a continuous sludge through mud pies and swollen creeks. The payoff is a spectacular waterfall, and some nice jungle and beach scenery. The water pools at the bottom of the fall and some people took a quick dip in the cool water. I'm pretty sure King Kong lives behind the fall. Well worth the effort.

There are newer reviews for Kalalau Trail

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I did this trail solo in March. I found it to be challenging. I would consider this hike equal in difficulty to the Inca Trail from Km 82 to Macchu Picchu. Unlike Macchu Picchu however there are A lot of narrow (like less than a meter wide) ledges which are sheer drops to the ocean - the trail can be VERY slippery when wet. I went slow and used sticks.

Kalalau beach is AMAZING. By far the best beach I have ever had the good fortune of visiting.

1  Thank TiMEtraveler95
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Accomplished Hanakapai Falls (8 miles round trip) Agreed - strenuous and challenging - even for an accomplished hiker. The going is slow because it is VERY VERY slippery even when weather is sunny. Exposure to sun from beginning to Beach. We wore hiking shoes from start to beach and then changed to Tabis (not Tevas) which provide grip in slippery conditions - weird footwear but they work. Even with the tabis, I fell backward onto a rock and fractured coccyx (tailbone)....and still had to hike down 3.5 miles. BEAUTIFUL/REWARDING views throughout. This is not a "stroll in the park" and should be considered seriously before doing. We are thrilled to say that we got to experience it....my tail bone is going to be experiencing it for months to come!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

If you love to hike and camp, are in decent shape and have a sense of adventure this is the hike for you. The landscape and views are spectacular. You will need a permit if you plan to hike in from Ke'e Beach to the Kalalau Valley and then camp. It is well worth the strenuous and at times sketchy trail. It is important to: wear good hiking shoes or boots, bring water treatment tablets (we stopped at almost every stream to get and treat water) a good 1st aid kit, (just in case), at least 1 hiking pole ,an extra pair of shoes (flops) and a hat. If you camp pack light. The hike itself is a lot of up and down, can get hot, can rain and create a slippery trail. Being a little weary of heights, I was most fearful of the part of the trail called "crawler's ledge" between mile 6.5 and 8. It was tough (mentally) b/c it is a sheer drop in some parts but I pushed through it and was overjoyed after we got through it. Once to the Kalalau Valley, beach and camp site I felt like we were in paradise. We arrived just after a Hurricane scare so there was no a lot of other hikers and campers. We stayed for 2 nights. Great swimming, exploring sea caves & waterfalls and just relaxing. There are some hippie types (Laid Back Larry and Biker Chris) living there but they are very nice. The only bad thing I can say about the Kalalau Valley is the non stop sound of the helicopters that fly from dawn to dusk. Oh and lastly, if you cant hike back we heard a boat can bring you back for $80 a head, but I think that is cheating!

4  Thank jendelhi
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Extremely strenuous and challenging, but the gratitude you will feel upon reaching Kalalau will more than make up for it. Plenty of water and food, trekking poles, and cover from the sun are a must.