“What Views!”

Kalalau Trail
Ranked #4 of 287 things to do in Kauai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kauai's hiking trail along the Na Pali coast.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife & I hiked the 2 miles (each way) of the Kalalau Trail to Hanakapi'ai Beach. The views of the coast are spectacular and well worth the hike. However, we don't recommend the hike if it's not dry as the rocks become quite slippery. Prepare to have a workout as many of the inclines are rocky and quite steep especially at the start of the trail. Good footwear and water are musts. Take 3.5 to 4.5 hours to enjoy the stops with views that are amongst the best in Hawaii - and that's saying a lot!

1  Thank RickLJJ
Write a ReviewReviews (1,498)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We came here after an afternoon horseback ride, to initially check out the sunset on Ke'e beach. We had some sunlight left and decided to go to the scenic 1/2 mile viewpoint. It was a spectacular view and I wish we were able to go earlier to take a longer hike, but no way was I doing this in the dark. Enjoyed the view and came down and enjoyed the amazing sunset on the beach.

3  Thank bigkahuana
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Me my wife and both kids (3 and 5) enjoyed this hike! Kids were so into exploring the trail with us that they walked the whole trail by foot. Be ready though, it is not an easy trail and you should be always near your child. We did first 2 miles, which took us 2 hours each way. Not recommended if there is/was rain because of the trail gets messy and slippery. Besides that high water level in river won't let you go past the 2 mile or get back. We parked at 9:30 but it looks like if you wait there is always someone coming back from up there so if you wait you can get a spot. The best day that we had on Kauai!! Hope we can come back to hike the whole trail.

1  Thank Invalidzip
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I wouldn't shy away from this activity because of how technical the other reviews say the ENTIRE trail can be.

My husband and I did the first two miles in and out - saw people of all ages, elementary aged children to grandparents - making the trip in. I am six months pregnant and made it just fine. We each consumed about a liter of water and one small snack.

We recommend bringing a change of shoes for the car trip out as most of the slippery sections were muddy enough to cake on our shoes and ankles.

Exercise caution in slippery sections, but overall, I felt very safe on the hike to the beach and back. We arrived at 8 in the morning, got close parking, stopped a few times for photos (total 30 min stopping) and were back to the car before lunch.

The trail was also far less crowded at 8 am than it was on the return hike at 10 am.

If you do hike in to the beach, there are a few cats that seem to live down there they are friendly and they would really appreciate a snack.

2  Thank Jasonferg
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The Kalalau Trail is amazing. We did not do the whole thing as it was raining and would require a lot of our energy and we are not professional hikers.
The beginning is not an easy climb but then it gets better. Come prepared with water, appropriate shoes and energy!
It is worth it!!!