“Incredible experience. Loved it so much, went twice.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kalalau Trail

Kalalau Trail
Ranked #3 of 279 things to do in Kauai
More attraction details
Owner description: Kauai's hiking trail along the Na Pali coast.
St. George, UT
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Incredible experience. Loved it so much, went twice.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Happy to report I had the opportunity and was lucky to hike the Kalalau Trail. I hiked it, flew over it it a helicopter, sailed in front of it. Take a good attitude and your time on this hike! Take a good camera, water, nutrition and enjoy! I wore some old running shoes and that were fine but going down I wish I would of had hiking shoes or some shoes that provided toe protection against rocks or were a bit more grippy. If your not up for hiking up 2.2 miles into the beach at least go to the 1/2 mile lookout! But since your there just go to the beach. I sprayed on insect repellent and sunscreen at the car before the hike and it did help. Lots of people on this trail so easily done on your own. I saw a woman trail running this with no water as part of her workout routine. Parking can be luck of the draw. No parking signs are posted all over in between parking lots on the road so it's worth it to just take another swing through the lots if they are full as someone will be leaving. I would say this was my favorite experience on Kauai.

4 Thank beemingigi

• Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Challenging Hike - But SOOOO worth it!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I (both in mid-50's) went to Kauai in August. We lucked out because the weather was perfect and everytime we went somewhere that typically is shroaded in clouds or fog -- it wasn't for us. Since we only had a week in Kauai (5 full days/2 half days) and wanted to do alot, we had to narrow our hiking down to 1 trail. After alot of research I chose the Kalalau trail that goes along the Napali Coast.

We only did the 4 mi roundtrip that goes to the first beach, but that was challenging enough for us. We left relatively early (I think we hit the trail about 8a - definitely try to go as early as you can, the trip back is alot harder the hotter it gets). We took walking sticks (people leave them at the trailhead) which is very helpful in alot of spots. Also bring plenty of water. A Camelback is perfect to free your hands up (you'll need them).

I wouldn't recommend this trail for young children. Not only is it probably a bit too challenging, but It literally is right on the Na Pali cliffs. Even though there is alot of jungle vegetation that fools you into thinking it's completely safe, if you happen to look straight down thru the vegetation in spots you can see it's pretty much a straight drop for maybe 100 ft. Also the creek/river crossing at the end is difficult and somewhat treacherous because of the slippery rocks.

With all that said I would absolutely do this hike again, and I would love to take our 2 boys (17 & 22). Even though the hike was challenging physically, it was a fun challenge (and trust me I'm not in great shape -- I'm probably in moderate shape). There are AMAZING views, and the first beach is really awesome (you can hike an extra 4-mi roundtrip to a waterfall, or further for a total of 11-mi one way to another beach that has been used in movies).

If you really are considering this hike (which I recommend HIGHLY) make sure you have good broken-in footwear (I wore TEVA trailrunners) and get yourself in at least moderate shape. You will enjoy it so much more. I had very HOT (110-115+) weather to train in prior to the trip, so I only spent time indoors on a walking track or treadmill getting myself in shape as well as breaking in my shoes, so it helped. But if I went again hopefully I could train in cooler weather and do more trail and mountain hiking to get in better shape for this hike.

Lastly, one reviewer mentioned the pain about the parking. That was all true, but if you plan it early enough you don't have as much to deal with. We had to park about a block away from the trailhead, but we were able to park in a dirt parking lot. Since the trailhead starts at a beach you have hikers and beachgoers to fight for spots with. Also -- don't forget your camera like I did.

Visited August 2012
8 Thank Marlana M
San Francisco, California
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Way too steep! And horrible parking...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Parking - I got a ticket (and so did all other cars around me) for parking along the road where there were no signs of no-parking at all!!! Both parking lots were full. Wonder if I can fight the ticket from CA...

The trail itself is not for the faint of heart. It goes straight up, and is full of big and small rocks, slippery mud, tree roots, etc. You think going up is hard?.. Try going down...

3 Thank tell-u-what-friend
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Spectacular!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Beautiful views. Challenging terrain. Muddy but totally worth it! We hiked to the falls early in the morning. Amazing.

1 Thank CDRay
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Amazing views!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

Hiked 1.5 miles up and then turned back. It was a moderately difficult hike mainly because the rocks were a little slippery. Definitely need hiking shoes. Can hike for an hour or make a 3 day trip put of it as some were who we encountered along our way. Take your camera!!!!

1 Thank R J