“What a great golf course”

Francis H. I'l Brown Golf Course
Melbourne, Australia
148 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“What a great golf course”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I've played St Andrews and Royal Melbourne and now I must admit that this course is just as amazing.
I play off an 18 handicap I managed to hit to it. It is a course that you have to play strategically at times and if you stray too far offline then you'll lose your ball do to the massive amounts of lava everywhere. There is however a bit of forgiveness in the width of the fairways but nevertheless you still need to position the ball well. Holes 6, 7, 13 and 15 are obvious standout holes. The 15th being one of the most photographed holes in the world with good reason. A par 3 hitting over the Pacific to a huge green with several shallow bunkers. The overall condition of the curse was fantastic. The quality of greens, teeing boxes and fairways were first-rate.
It has a large well stocked proshop with photos and antique clubs on-show is on course along with bar and restaurant facilities. The starter and course staff were very pleasant and helpful providing fast and efficient service. The course also has a great driving range and practice putting green.
Overall, a great course to play. For low handicappers play off the black tees for a decent challenge.

Visited October 2013

Toronto
130 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“no gps”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I recently played the north and south course, which are similarly rated from the forward tees. Everyone says the north course is more difficult and south more picturesque. I found the north course very peaceful, lovely and green with lots of lava rock, which all of the big Island has. I found the south course busy to the eye with lots of houses encroaching and the flow of the course not so obvious. The greens had more undulations. It too was very well groomed. The south course has a couple of gorgeous holes on the ocean, in fact, the game slows up here as you have to take a few pictures for sure. The signature par 3 on the back 9 is worth a climb to the back tees for a few pictures, and why not try your drive here - it's about 200 yards. I was disappointed that the carts had no gps, but there were markers on the fairways. The proshop was large and well stocked.

Visited May 2012