“I recommend Robert's Pohaku Pa'a treatment” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mauna Lani Spa

Mauna Lani Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Mauna Lani Spa consists of 17 indoor and outdoor treatment areas, a lava rock sauna and an Aquatic Body Therapy facility. Services include traditional Hawaiian massages, facials and spa baths.
Toronto, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“I recommend Robert's Pohaku Pa'a treatment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

The best hot stone massage I've ever had: the Pohaku Pa'a treatment at Mauna Lani spa by Robert

Tampa, Florida
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Great Spa with excellent services”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

Decided to take a morning and treat myself to a hot stone massage and facial. I was warmly welcomed throughout. Both services were very well done, Probably the best facial I have ever had based on comment from family when I returned. After my treatments I had access to the steam room, sauna and outdoor showers. I would go back.

Visited June 2011
erie
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Not as nice as we had expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2010

This was somewhat of a disappintment. we found the spa in one of the Island Activities magazines, and drove more than an hour to get there, which would have been fine, if it had lived up to the billing. we booked an outdoor massage, but were then told it was too windy for that, so we were inside (no mention of that was made at the time we booked the massage) we have had massages nearly everywhere we travel, and the masseurs were only so-so, certainly not worth the $165.00 plus tip for 50 minutes. the sitting area we were directed to outside was nice, but the seat cushions are a little grimy, and need to be cleaned or replaced. there is no jacuzzi with the spa itself, you have to go to the fitness center, which just does not seem in keeping with the price or the relaxation aspect. the pool there is absolutely FREEZING, and it's a lap pool, so not very relaxing. all in all, this was only an average spa experience.

2 Thank cyndees
United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“beautiful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

Outdoor massage is wonderful. I love the spa outdoor showers. Take your time and enjoy the place if you are having a treatment. The pool is almost always empty. I didn't like the watsu (water massage)... just wasn't my thing. FYI -it is an expensive facility.

Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I've been to better spas.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

My husand and I went to the Mauna Lani Spa while we were on the Big Island in July for a couples massage. My husband is a fairly recent convert to spa treatments. He really enjoyed his first massage ever when we had a couples massage at a spa on Kaua'i two years ago. We've since been to two other spas together. His major requirement for a spa is to not feel awkward. The Mauna Lani did not meet that requirement. Let's start with the cloth wrap instead of a bathrobe. I appreciate that the spa is trying to provide a truly Hawaiian-feeling experience, but my husband did not appreciate sitting around in the waiting area with a cloth wrap around his waist and no shirt on. Also awkward was the arrangement in the mens dressing area, with the attendant's desk facing the urinal area. The seating areas in the waiting area were not comfortable and therefore not relaxing. Every other spa we've been to together has a co-ed waiting area so that couples can wait for their treatments together. That was not the case here.

The massages themselves were only so-so. My massage therapist seemed to have two pressure levels: too light and too intense.

We wanted to use the pool and whirlpool while we were at the spa. Spa guests are allowed to use the ones at the fitness facility. Unfortunately, so are children. Also, we couldn't just wander over there by ourselves. We had to be shown there by spa attendants.

In all, we felt that we didn't get our money's worth, either from the treatments or the spa experience in general. It wasn't as relaxing as an expensive spa should be.

The outdoor lava showers were nice, but there are several things there that I would do differently.

This place definitely didn't compare to the spa at the Grand Hyatt on Kaua'i.

1 Thank wivagardener