“A Must See!”

Evening Volcano Explorer From Kona
$180.00*
Discover Volcano Country
More attraction details
Owner description: Nestled in an area with coconut trees and a black sand beach, this park is one of the best in Hawaii.
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This was such a highlight for me on our recent trip to the Big Island. I would suggest trying to get here if you can. The beach is a site to behold. One of the most gorgeous black sand beaches I have been to. It is stunning. What makes it even more amazing are the sea turtles that typically like to lay out on the sand, quite a few of them. I hadn't seen sea turtles on land before, only in the ocean. This was such a treat! I would highly recommend stopping and seeing the sea turtles.. They are majestic creatures.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,240)

Reviewed April 4, 2014

This beach is so beautiful that it is breathtaking!!!! My husband and I could not get enough of the deep blue water, (several) green turtles and the black sand!!! I wanted to pack bags of the rich, onyx black sand and stones, but I had been warned about Pele's wrath. So we left nature as we found it....PERFECT!!!

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Absolutely amazing! It's a small area that has covered picnic areas. Sharing space with the turtles was amazing! You'll want to wear shoes at all times, as the lava sand is sharp and painful to the bear feet.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

There were several Green Sea Turtles sunning themselves on the black sands just out of the waves on the shoreline.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

This was a great place to stop if you want to see a Black Sand Beach up close and personal. Access to the beach is easy... Parking is close and the beach is a short walk. There is also a very good bake shop along the way appropriately called the Punalu'u Bake Shop! It's a good place to stop and pick up a snack or drinks on your way to or from the beach. We didn't see any sea turtles on the beach the day we were there nor did we take the time to snorkel but it is still a beautiful spot to stop and check out!

1  Thank Melody B