“Perfect for visit with Army son”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Augusta West - Ft Gordon Area
Ranked #36 of 84 Hotels in Augusta
Reviewed January 6, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel ever since they went above and beyond the call of duty in helping me do my army son's laundry! I was actually staying at the Hampton Inn next door when I asked where the nearest laundromat was. They said, "Use our sister property's coin-operated facilities next door at the Wingate." When I went next door to the Wingate, someone else was already using the only washer/dryer. However, the hotel's laundry facilities are right next door and a wonderful woman who worked there took my son's laundry and cleaned it for me! Talk about unforgetable service! Since then, I have stayed here at least 3 or 4 more times with another 2 visits ahead of me until my son "graduates." I have been booked on all floors except the 2nd floor.....and yes, some rooms could use some cosmetic work but, for the price, I have absolutely no complaints. As for the staff, they are nothing but the best ever. Always friendly, always ready to please. If you want fancier, pay more and get a suite at the Hampton next door. For me, I'm wild about the Wingate.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank BethieMay
MelissaMullis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Augusta West - Ft Gordon Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2010

Thank you so much for your response! I am thrilled that my staff went above and beyond the call of duty and service for you while you were here and that you have chosen us to be your Augusta Hotel!!
Thank you!
Melissa Mullis

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites Augusta West - Ft Gordon Area

Reviewed October 8, 2009

Clean rooms, pleasant staff. A/C in our room was broken, but they were fully booked so we couldn't switch rooms. Instead they brought us a fan and comped us for the first night. The drive into downtown is easy enough - just about 15 minutes via interstate or surface streets. It would have been nice for the purpose of our trip to have been downtown instead, but we saved big $$ by staying at the Wingate! There is a whirlpool, but it was out of order when we were there.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank crr615
MelissaMullis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Augusta West - Ft Gordon Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2009

Thank you for your response. I apologize about our whirlpool being out of order. The heating elements have gone bad and are on order! Hope to see you on your next visit to Augusta.

Reviewed May 30, 2009

We found this hotel by chance using our GPS. We called from the road and were quite surprised by the price for a double room. They must have hired new housekeepers since the poor review. I found the room and bathroom to be very clean including the carpet. We asked for a non-smoking room and upon entering it smelled fresh. The beds were comfy and the room had plenty of outlets. Large work desk and luggage rack. Microwave, pod coffee/teamaker and frig included in our room. The towels were even a little larger than I expected for a hotel at this price. And for the USA Today lovers...it's delivered to your door in the morning. Wireless internet was fast. Continental breakfast included the extras like a waffle maker, eggs and sausage. The only problem we had was when we would change the TV channel sometimes it made a really loud scratching sound which is probably what a previous reviewer heard through the walls. That definitely needs to be fixed. Other than that we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for your response. I am the new General Manager for the Wingate by Wyndham and have been working diligently to address the past issues in the responses. We are on the right track! New TV's are on order, as well as bedding and mattress'.

Reviewed June 13, 2008

The staff was very helpful and kind; however, after switching from two different rooms, and needing to switch to another, we moved to another hotel. Both of the first rooms we tried to stay in had hair in the bathrooms. The air wasn't working in the first room, and when the front desk offered to moved us to another room down the hall, that room was smaller than the one we originally booked. Then we moved upstairs, the second room had extensive (nasty looking!) stains on the pull-out bed, hair in the bathroom, and the carpet needed desperately to be cleaned. The staff tried to work with us, and offered another room, up another floor; however, due to fear the housekeeping had messed up that room as well, and this being 10pm, after a long day with 2 small children, we opted to get a full refund and move to the Doubletree Hotel (very nice and we had stayed there before!) We are not nick-picky, and the staff was very kind, and we appreciated this. The housekeepers just need a new job!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Hi, thanks for your response. I am the new General Manager and there have been major changes since your stay with us. A new housekeeping manager, and re-training of alll staff.
Stay with us again, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed April 2, 2008

Just returned from a trip to Augusta and had a great stay at this Wingate Inn. First off, let me start by saying we had an executive suite. It was almost the same price as other sub-par dumpy places in the area. The suite was HUGE! Two sleeper sofas, dining room table with four chairs, a king bed, two tvs, jacuzzi tub in HUGE bathroom. I'm telling you, you could LIVE in that room for a long time! Fridge/freezer, microwave, gourmet coffee, and a nice breakfast. You cannot go wrong with this nice property despite the crappy reviews someone left here. Check it out, you will be happy you did! (Oh, and they have a bug indoor jacuzzi and an outdoor pool) You can also walk next door to their sister property and use their indoor pool. Nice bonus!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2008

Stayed one night. The room and property were clean. The staff was very friendly. Breakfast on-site was decent, but the are several other options in the area.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2007

Unfortunately, this hotel doesn't live up to the description that appears on the Wingate web site. I traveled to Augusta for meetings at nearby Fort Gordon, and I would strongly recommend staying elsewhere (there are plenty of options, including another Wingate that I understand is much better!).

Pros:
1. The location is convenient to Fort Gordon and major highways.
2. The wireless internet access seemed reliable and reasonably fast.
3. The free breakfast is not extensive but palatable.

Cons:
1. My room was VERY noisy. I could hear the person in the room next door watching TV almost all night, even when I put a pillow over my head. I considered calling the front desk to complain, but realized how hopeless this would be when I found I could even hear the guy cough. The walls are just that thin...needless to say, I did NOT get a good night's sleep. Also, my colleague, who stayed on a different floor, was kept awake by garbage trucks that came to empty the several dumpsters near the hotel.
2. The rooms are shoddy and poorly maintained. There is an air of dinginess to just about everything. You can feel the springs in the bed, too, although it wasn't too bad.
3. The "fitness center" can only barely qualify as such. The elliptical machine squeaked so loudly that I couldn't stand to use it, the treadmill kept slowing back down after I would speed it up, and the upright bike looks like a wreck. The weight machines do have a minimal degree of function.
4. The rooms have very poor lighting. It's tough to see to put makeup on, etc.
5. The staff at the front desk seemed sullen and disinterested when I checked in.

Bottom line: Stay at the other Wingate or at the Hampton Inn next door!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Jik76
MelissaMullis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Augusta West - Ft Gordon Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2009

As this posting is over 2 years old, please don't let it deter you from staying with us. As the new General Manager, my staff & I have made numerous improvements to the property. A well trained front desk staff that will treat you like family, a new head of housekeeping and maintenance staff. We aren't perfect, but we are clean, friendly and easy on your pocket book!
Give us a try, you can "Count on Us".

Also consider these accommodations in or near Augusta
Holiday Inn Augusta West
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Augusta
Hyatt Place Augusta
Hyatt Place Augusta
#2 of 84 in Augusta

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Augusta West - Ft Gordon Area? Share your experiences!