“The Augusta Mariott needs updated ”

Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #13 of 85 Hotels in Augusta
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Suites section of The Augusta Mariott over the Thanksgiving holiday. This once gem of a hotel is now in dire need of an interior update. The carpet in our room was very dirty, the furniture looked old and dirty, the tub and sinks drained poorly, and we found several hairs that didn't belong to us. The new convention center appears to be a great addition to this complex, but the rooms need to be brought up to date.

Stayed: November 2013
AugustaMarriott, Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to send in a review about your experience at our hotel. We appreciate our guests comments both positive and where they point our challenges. We strive to deliver an excellent guest room product and in the case of your stay with us we fell short and for that I am very sorry. I will review your comments with our housekeeping team and use them as a learning point to improve. As well, we are excited that we are scheduled to undergo a guest room update in the fourth quarter of 2014 which will really freshen up the look of our guest rooms.
Thank you again for your comments. If I can ever be of service to you in the future please do not hesitate to call upon me.
Matthew Ricker

Reviewed November 27, 2013

From the lobby entrance to the river view room, the hotel was more than expected in Augusta Georgia. The room amenities were excellent, and the view of the river was great. the décor was conventional, but tasteful, and the bed was comfortable. The room was quiet, and the sitting area inviting. The restaurant had a good menu, and the food was well prepared, but the service was amateur. They had some excellent wine at a very good value.

Room Tip: Choose a river view room, and a corner suite, if possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
AugustaMarriott, Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive review and your kind words. We are pleased that we have met your expectations. These words mean a great deal to us. Our staff try their best to go above and beyond for our guests, and we will continue to strive to keep your valuable business.
Matt Ricker

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I had stayed at this property last year and had a good experience. This visit was not nearly so nice, and I would never again stay in the “suites” tower. The insulation was poor and we had noise from the hallway all night. We had booked a king suite with a sofa bed, but the extremely small living room area only included two chairs. Fortunately, our daughter decided not to travel with us so we did not need the extra bed. Otherwise, we would have been in a bad situation. I am a Marriott Platinum member, and am entitled to an automatic upgrade to the best available room. When I checked in, I inquired about an upgrade to a riverfront room but was told that none were available. After checking in and getting my laptop set up, I found out that there were multiple riverfront rooms available online. It was late and I did not feel like pushing the issue and changing rooms. I did complain about it when checking out. The desk clerk apologized, but offered no explanation why the upgrade was not honored.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BradNelsonJAX
AugustaMarriott, General Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear WineGator,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We strive to deliver excellent product and service to each and every valued guest who stays with us. In the case of your stay we obviously fell short of this goal and for that you have my sincere apology. We will take your comments as a learning opportunity for our team members and coach them on better communication with our guests and to make a better effort to deliver upon our guests desired room accommodations.

Thank you again for your input. We hope to see you again at the Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center. Should you stay with us again in the future we will make every effort to do a better job.
Matthew Ricker

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with a convention and was very pleased. The facilities were beautiful and the rooms met and exceeded our expectations. Being close to the Riverwalk was also a plus. It allowed us to walk during our breaks. The suite we were in was very nice. Plenty of closet space and the living area was perfect for our between meeting get togethers.

1  Thank RoamingRobyn1959
AugustaMarriott, General Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Usual services, good breakfast and tentative staff. Room dated but everything worked. Convenient for strolling into town for bars/restaurant on Broad street. Also easy access to convention centre attached which is pleasant. Free shuttle to Augusta airport which is 15mins drive.

1  Thank Davros_UK
AugustaMarriott, General Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback. We look forward to having you return as our guest and want you to know that we truly value your business.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was our third stay at this property - each time with a convention. The room was clean, well-equipped, and was ready when we arrived early (I am Marriott Platinum). All encounters with the staff were pleasant. Of particular merit is concierge attendant, Jodie - a friendly and outgoing lady who represents the best in customer attentiveness.

Room Tip: Best Wi-Fi is on upper floors of the tower' not facing the river.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
AugustaMarriott, General Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Bill,
Thank you for your kind words and feedback! There is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professional, than receiving kind words from a valued guest. I truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you, and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I knew this review was going to be effortless to write when the bellman at the Augusta Marriott greeted me upon my arrival. I stayed at the Augusta Marriott convention center for a 3 day conference. The conference was mediocre at best but I digress.

When I arrived at the hotel I parked in self parking which was $7.00. That's an average price. I walked to the hotel probably 5 steps and the bellman (wish I had gotten his name) said, "thank you for choosing the Marriott". Not thank you for staying at the Marriott. I knew then this was going to be a great stay. You see the bellman recognized that I had a choice and he appreciated that I choose the Marriott. This was the first point of excellence.

The reservation/concierge staff in my opinion can make or break a stay. The reservation/concierge staff at the Augusta Marriott "GET IT". You can go down to the lobby anytime day or night and you will get the same smile and willingness to service. For example I arrived at 12:30 and asked if I could get an early check in. The reservationist said that he would add my name to the wait list and call me when a room came available. I was prepared to wail for the guaranteed check in which was 4 pm. To my surprise an hour later I received a call indicating that I could check in at my leisure because my room was ready. Another example was on the second day I was having trouble accessing the WIFI. I talked to the reservationist about this and she gave me some tips to try first to trouble shoot. She said that if that didn't work to let them know and they way have engineering come up. I said okay. Before I got back up to my room the engineer was knocking on my room door. This was the second point of excellence.

Ninety percent of my travel is pleasure/family vacations but I often work on those trips. The internet WIFI is free and complimentary. You do have an option to pay $9.95 as this is like an upgrade from the basic (free) WIFI. If you need to do video conferences, stream videos, ect the upgrade might be for you. I was fine with the basic as it met all of my work needs. This was the third point of excellence.

The hotel itself is just beautiful and well kept. The rooms have the typical décor and are CLEAN!!. Did I mention that the rooms are CLEAN. Kudos to the housekeeping staff. This was the fourth point of excellence.

The service at the hotel is great all the way round. Every staff member with a Marriott badge on had a smile on their face and was helpful in their interaction with hotel guest. When I was leaving that same bellman said, "I know your enjoyed your stay". Not I hope you enjoyed your stay. You see he knew the caliber of service that I would receive during my stay. Shame on me for not asking his name. This was the fifth point of excellence.

The above review is why I gave the Augusta Marriott a 5 star excellence rating. I really hope that the Augusta Marriott management recognizes the talented staff that they have working at this property. The staff is simply the BEST.

Room Tip: Room with the river view would be ideal. Ask if this is an option.