“Good service, good stay”

Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #14 of 82 Hotels in Augusta
Blairsville, Georgia
“Good service, good stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was our third stay at this property - each time with a convention. The room was clean, well-equipped, and was ready when we arrived early (I am Marriott Platinum). All encounters with the staff were pleasant. Of particular merit is concierge attendant, Jodie - a friendly and outgoing lady who represents the best in customer attentiveness.

Room Tip: Best Wi-Fi is on upper floors of the tower' not facing the river.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
AugustaMarriott, General Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Bill,
Thank you for your kind words and feedback! There is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professional, than receiving kind words from a valued guest. I truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you, and I look forward to your return.
Darryl Leech

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I knew this review was going to be effortless to write when the bellman at the Augusta Marriott greeted me upon my arrival. I stayed at the Augusta Marriott convention center for a 3 day conference. The conference was mediocre at best but I digress.

When I arrived at the hotel I parked in self parking which was $7.00. That's an average price. I walked to the hotel probably 5 steps and the bellman (wish I had gotten his name) said, "thank you for choosing the Marriott". Not thank you for staying at the Marriott. I knew then this was going to be a great stay. You see the bellman recognized that I had a choice and he appreciated that I choose the Marriott. This was the first point of excellence.

The reservation/concierge staff in my opinion can make or break a stay. The reservation/concierge staff at the Augusta Marriott "GET IT". You can go down to the lobby anytime day or night and you will get the same smile and willingness to service. For example I arrived at 12:30 and asked if I could get an early check in. The reservationist said that he would add my name to the wait list and call me when a room came available. I was prepared to wail for the guaranteed check in which was 4 pm. To my surprise an hour later I received a call indicating that I could check in at my leisure because my room was ready. Another example was on the second day I was having trouble accessing the WIFI. I talked to the reservationist about this and she gave me some tips to try first to trouble shoot. She said that if that didn't work to let them know and they way have engineering come up. I said okay. Before I got back up to my room the engineer was knocking on my room door. This was the second point of excellence.

Ninety percent of my travel is pleasure/family vacations but I often work on those trips. The internet WIFI is free and complimentary. You do have an option to pay $9.95 as this is like an upgrade from the basic (free) WIFI. If you need to do video conferences, stream videos, ect the upgrade might be for you. I was fine with the basic as it met all of my work needs. This was the third point of excellence.

The hotel itself is just beautiful and well kept. The rooms have the typical décor and are CLEAN!!. Did I mention that the rooms are CLEAN. Kudos to the housekeeping staff. This was the fourth point of excellence.

The service at the hotel is great all the way round. Every staff member with a Marriott badge on had a smile on their face and was helpful in their interaction with hotel guest. When I was leaving that same bellman said, "I know your enjoyed your stay". Not I hope you enjoyed your stay. You see he knew the caliber of service that I would receive during my stay. Shame on me for not asking his name. This was the fifth point of excellence.

The above review is why I gave the Augusta Marriott a 5 star excellence rating. I really hope that the Augusta Marriott management recognizes the talented staff that they have working at this property. The staff is simply the BEST.

Room Tip: Room with the river view would be ideal. Ask if this is an option.
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive review and your kind words. We are pleased that we have met your expectations. These words mean a great deal to us. Our staff try their best to go above and beyond for our guests, and we will continue to strive to keep your valuable business.
We look forward to your next visit at our property.
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights while my husband was in the area on business. The staff was unusually friendly and helpful, especially Greg. Our room was clean and smelled fresh. We had a fairly good view of the river although we did not face the river. The housekeepers were worked quickly, leaving new shampoo, etc. each day. We have found that many hotels no longer do so. We had a refrigerator in the room as well as a coffee maker. We did enjoy having the Starbucks in the lobby area, but would have preferred that it stayed open in the afternoons. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The problem was that the sheets slid off the bed. We have found this to be true at several Marriotts recently. The best thing for me was the location. Since I did not have a car, I walked along the river walk several times. That was really nice and I did feel safe. However, I would not walk in the area alone after dark. It would have been more fun for me if there had been more cute little shops open in the area. However, since I am easily entertained, I was fine. We would recommend Augustino's, the in-hotel restaurant. We ate two meals there. Both were excellent. I did have some issues with the Internet but that may have been the fault of my provider. Not sure yet.

Room Tip: Ask to have river view. No sense in looking at the roof.
1 Thank Mary Anne H
Dear Mary Anne,
Thank you for your kind words and feedback! Greg (and all of our staff), believe in providing that personalized service, and I agree with you, that he is very good at his job!
We look forward to your next visit at our property, and once again, thank you for your positive comments!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I recently stayed in the Augusta Marriott Suites Tower this weekend. I selected the suite so that my two friends could bunk with me. There was enough room in the suite for the three of us to easily get around and get ready. The beds were comfortable. The couch was a little old but okay to sit on. We didn't use the bed part of the sleeper sofa because we didn't want to pull it out. The bathroom was fine. The refrigerator and microwave worked well. The room reminded me a little of a dorm-type or old hotel feel. I think the rooms in the main hotel were probably nicer. I would go with those, if I return to Augusta. I definitely wouldn't pay $156 for the suite really, as it is not that nice.

The best thing about the hotel was the location in downtown. It was next to a pretty good restaurant- Boll Weevil.

The minuses were: paying $7 for self-parking and the confusing layout of the hotel and suites. There were a few displays in the main hotel that showed a map but no displays in the suites. It's almost like the suites are a second class property compared to the main tower. I think that maps should be given to you at check-in if you are a suites guest. The signs to get us from the suites to the main tower were not clear and a separate elevator had to be used for access. I actually gave directions to three or four people in my first few hours there, since I chose to learn the lay of the land early. Walking out of the garage was very confusing. The front desk gave me directions that were not clear. It took 15 minutes just to get out of the parking garage to walk across and little sidewalk to the restaurant that was right outside my window. It should have been an easy 1 minute walk. The front desk of the suites was not open on Friday at 6:00 PM, when I arrived. That was ridiculous! It made us use the desk in the main tower.

Suggestions: Stay in the main tower of this hotel if possible. Use the garage parking, which is $7 instead of valet, which was more expensive. If you stay in the suites, make a mental note of how to get to the main tower and to be able to walk places.

All in all, I probably wouldn't stay here again. I would rather stay where parking is free and restaurants are all around, instead of downtown where restaurants are limited.

Room Tip: Stay in the main tower. I hope it's better than the suites.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
AugustaMarriott, General Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Celia,
Thank you for staying with us at the Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center. We appreciate your comments and recommendations regarding the size of our facility and our parking procedure. We will take your recommendations into consideration. We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us and we will go over your comments with the staff to see if we can make improvements upon our delivery of product and service. Again thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future.
Valdosta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I have traveled to Augusta for her to race in the Ironman event three years in a row and finally this year we were able to get a room reserved at the Augusta Marriott. The hotel staff were very accommodating for the Ironman participants as well as spectators. The rooms were perfectly fine, just the right size, and very quiet even for having a full house. Check in was a breeze and check out was even easier. They do have Valet or Self Service parking in their garage which was very convenient especially for the time we were there since Downtown Augusta was so busy. If you're going to be in Downtown Augusta you won't be disappointed staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AugustaMarriott, Manager at Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
We look forward to your next visit at our property.

Matt Ricker
Hotel Manager
Muncie, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

My stay started out rough. The gentleman that check us in didn't exactly excude "southern hospitality". I checked into the room and it smelled like a dirty bathroom. I suffered thru the night but had my door propped open in the morning and someone from maintenance came by and happened to see the door open. I explained to him the reason. He came in and said that he would have the carpets shampooed. He called the desk and had someone come up with new room keys and a new room. So my stay started out rough, but the remaining 3 days were very nice. The other room that I was in was comfortable and clean.

1 Thank Sara D
Dear Sarah,
Thank you for staying with us at the Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center. We appreciate hearing from our guests about their experience while staying with us. I am sorry to hear of the housekeeping challenges that you faced upon your arrival, but I am happy to hear that our staff addressed the issues and in the end you had a pleasant stay here. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Newark, Delaware, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Marriott, Augusta, GA for a large industry conference. I normally stay at Marriott Hotels when I travel as I am a long term member of their loyalty program. But even when you have status it is no guarantee that expectations will be met. In this case, because of my status, I was upgraded to a River View Suite on the top floor. Lovely room, very well appointed.( I always get these Perks or free upgrades when my Wife isn't with me!) I had some work that needed to be completed and so I figured once I unpacked I would log-on to the Wi-Fi and then join some friends in the lobby for a social. Only problem, try as I may, I could not get logged-in. I took my computer to the lobby and for an additional charge got logged in via the conference network. As I was leaving my room I saw the head of housekeeping and reminded her that my profile says, "No down pillows, - the stuff to me, is like "Kryptonite to Superman." As they say, way leads on to way and so I did not get back to my room till 10PM that night. I tried to login again but the signal was still too weak. The next morning their Data Guy confirmed that the Wi-Fi was not functional this far from the router. They moved me to a room near the middle of the floor and low and behold, the Wi-Fi worked. I would have thought this would have been the end of the travail but that night I discovered this new room had down pillows! As soon as I walked into the room my nose and throat started to bother me. The room had the dreaded, "Down Pillows!"The hotel apologized and resolved the problem. But the moral to this story is always make sure they follow your profile. If not, you can expect, "Murphy," to show up at the worst possible time. As for other aspects of the hotel, the bar was very nice with an excellent pasta buffet. The hotel is about 20 minutes from the airport, so if all of your business is there, you don't need a rental car. As for Augusta National - you can't even get in the gate to buy things at the pro-shop unless you are a member. Cheers!

Room Tip: If you are on business avoid the rooms with the, "River View." The Wi-Fi coverage is spott...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Robert H
Dear Robert,
Thank you for staying with us at the Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center. We appreciate hearing from our guests about their experience while staying with us. I am sorry to hear that we did not follow our normal procedure of executing our frequent guests profile requirements. We will review our procedure with regard to properly delivery of profile requirements in an effort to do better in the future. Thank you as well for letting us know about the internet hot spot issue that you faced. We will be working with our IT people to correct that issue as soon as possible. Again thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future.