“Great Hotel - Riverwalk is relaxiing”

Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels in Augusta
Stockbridge, Georgia
“Great Hotel - Riverwalk is relaxiing”
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Before arriving at the Augusta Marriott hotel, we were at August State University. When driving to the Marriott, we went through some rough parks of town. I was wondering if we booked the wrong hotel. When we arrived, the outside of the hotel was nice, and the area of town was much better. Inside of hotel was very nice.

Parking was very easy. Drive up to the hotel entrance and they offer valet parking or self parking. Self parking is a covered deck. If you self park, it will take 1 minute to get to the lobby. When self parking, you have to go through the gate and get a time stamped ticket. The daily fee is $5 but when I checked in, I was given a parking slip that allowed “no charge” parking. I simply showed the parking slip at the payment gate when leaving. There is unlimited uses also for the parking pass.

Checking in was no problem. Official check is was 4pm but we arrived at 1pm. Room was ready. Took about 2 minutes to check in which was great.

Room was typical Marriott room. We requested a high floor. We were assigned room 1102. There are only 11 floors in the hotel so we couldn’t get any higher. Room was clean, bed was very comfortable and room was quiet. Shower was powerful and plenty of hot water. Those are big pluses for me. TV was ok. One thing Marriott needs to do is get LCD or Plasma TVs. Two minor room complaints: 1) bathroom sink was slightly clogged and would fill up fast if the water was running. 2) Icon on the phone to call the front desk was always busy. After 5 tries over 10 minutes, I figured it was broke.

Front desk – everyone was helpful. They gave us a map of the local area with landmarks. We dealt with 3 different people. All three were polite and courteous.

Workout Area – clean and equipment worked well. I used the elliptical machine and the weight machines. Photos are uploaded.

On-site restaurant is Augustino's- Italian Eatery & Prime Steaks. We had dinner the night we arrived. Wife had Spaghetti with meat balls. Her meal was very good. I had the rib eye sandwich which was fair. Onion rings came with my meal. Onion rings were very good. We had an appetizer which was fried calamari and it was very good. It was also good. Three beers are on draft. We ordered a Samuel Adams draft. It was $4 and change. Total meal with 4 beers was $54 before tip.

We also ate breakfast the next morning at Augustinos. Breakfast was great. It was $10 per person. On the buffet were scrambled eggs, sausage links, biscuits and gravy, omelets made to order, muffins, Danishes, fresh fruit, bagels, etc…

Nearby – walk out the front entrance of the Marriott, turn right, and you are at Riverwalk. Riverwalk is very clean. Called Riverwalk since you are walking along the Savannah River. Surprisingly for a Saturday afternoon with great weather, there were not many people around.
Within walking distance of the Marriott and Riverwalk are four to six restaurants. Boll Weevil has great desserts. We ordered three desserts, two glasses of milk and it was $17. From the Marriott you can go to the second floor, walk off the elevator, through the conference meeting area and you will end up at the Marriott Suites. One floor down and Boll Weevil is across the street.
Overall I great stay.

I would definitely stay at the Augusta Marriott again.

• Liked — Clean, nice location, and Riverwalk
  • Disliked — sink clogged
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chrismenard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed March 7, 2008

Good Hotel, probably the only true full service hotel I found in Augusta. Had a good room by and large, just a few issues with the bathroom (mainly it needed updating and new fixtures, the ones in this bathroom weren't up to Marriotts usual standards). Great lobby, friendly staff from the valet to the manager. I loved this bar more than I do most hotel bars. It was nice and classy and had prices which were lower than most comparable hotel bars. Good breakfast buffet in the mornings, but the Starbucks right there in the lobby is convenient too. Would stay here again because given the other choices in Augusta, this one is clearly the best.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank KRH4G6
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed February 4, 2008

We recently spent one night in the Marriott in downtown Augusta. We were wanting a quick, short drive weekend get-a-way. My fiance has Marriott points, so we picked this one.

Overall, the hotel is nice. The room was nice, comfortable bed, standard room. The bathroom needed some cleaning though. There was mold on the shower curtain and in the tiles of the tub/shower.

Augustino's is the on site restaurant. We had drinks there at night. There is a breakfast buffett or you can order off the menu. We choose the buffett, good-nothing unusual, typical fare.

The hotel was nice, but downtown is very boring and rundown. We live in a town with a very thriving downtown with local, unique restaurants. The resort is fine if you need to be in Augusta.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank staceyvols
gainesville, ga
Reviewed December 17, 2007

I had the misfortune of leaving my toileteries in the bathroom of my room. It was no big deal except for my glasses. You would think no one would steal eyeglasses or throw them away but Marriot has a vortex where things mysteriously disappear. I contacted the hotel less than 24 hours later but had to call later during regular business hours. I couldn't remember the exact room number but I told them the correct floor. I talked to security, cleaning services and the manager for a week and finally produced had a receipt of room number- no good. They claimed no one saw or turned in the pile of items including my glasses. I ended up buying a new pair of glasses for $275 which was more than twice the cost of the room. The Marriott is supposed to be a high class establishment but if you leave anything in your room after checkout it's gone. Some staff did look into it and call back but most didn't take 10 minutes to look at the lost and found. Worse I was told they had no glasses then I told they had 20 pairs of glasses. I don't like liars or lazy customer service.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank freeyoke
Atlanta GA
Reviewed November 30, 2007

Stayed to nights and loved it. The restaurant is great, and there's a good bar. It's pricey (we payed $169 a night) but way better than any other hotel in the area. The parking deck is cramped but free. We went to the River Walk but couldn't find anything within walking distance. The river was pretty though.

• Liked — Big rooms, clean
  • Disliked — Bar overcharged us twice - get a receipt and count your change!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Ringocat
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 28, 2007

This hotel is nice. Located on the riverwalk. The staff was very helpful. This was a business trip; a coworker suggested this hotel.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank JusTravelAtlanta
atlanta
Reviewed March 19, 2007

I love this hotel. There are not many hotels to choose from in Augusta. This property is on the river, and is walking distance to all nightlife and dining downtown. The rooms are nice and the location perfect. I am orgionally from this area and this property is one of the best in Augusta. You will not be disappointed.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple