“Do not stay here!!!”

Ranked #76 of 83 Hotels in Augusta
Tennessee
“Do not stay here!!!”
Reviewed September 8, 2009

My Mother, two aunts, and an uncle and myself were going to visit my other uncle in Georgia. We booked and paid for two rooms at the Econo Lodge through Expedia. After traveling five and a half hours to get there we arrived at the Econo Lodge Ft. Gordon. Well the hotel looked rather seedy. The only redeeming quality was there was a Waffle House restaurant right beside of the hotel. So we checked into our rooms. My room was a king size bed with a jacuzzi in the bathroom. As I was unpacking I was checking the drawers and opening the furniture doors to see where I wanted to store my clothes. When what to my wondering eyes should appear?...CONDOMS!!!
Well I sat down and just imagined what had been going on in there the last time someone had rented this room and I just could not fathom myself or my family staying a night there. Then I looked around and noticed a swarm of flies circling the room. Well folks, this is just UNACCEPTABLE with me. Next I went to the room I had paid for my uncle and two aunts. In one of the drawers was a dirty bag of garbage and swarming flies. When we closed the door it looked like someone had tried to kick the door in because the door jam at the top was loose and almost falling off. And to top it all off we booked non-smoking rooms and both the rooms reeked so much from smoke that it gave us a headache after spending only minutes in the rooms.
So we went to the office and reported all these things and were told that it would be no problem getting a refund on the rooms. We were advised to check out and call the owner. We went to get our things and stayed the night with family. After too many long phone calls we were told through expedia that we would have to call the owner of the hotel to get our refunds. Also when we reported the mess in our rooms we were advised by staff at the front desk that people lived there during the week and cooked with a hot plate in the rooms. I thought that was illegal???
So the manager was supposed to call expedia on the following Tuesday about the matter because Monday was a holiday. I called expedia and they said they called the manager and she said that they checked the rooms after we left and were found to be clean. CLEAN!??? with condoms, dirty garbage, swarming flies and reeking of smoke? OK, so then expedia informed me that the manager said she offered us different rooms and we refused. NO ONE OFFERED US DIFFERENT ROOMS! Expedia also informed me that the manager said because we refused other rooms that she could not give us a refund.
So I called the manager and spoke to her and told her all about the problem. Then she relented and said that she could give me a refund for one of the rooms. I spent $142.50 on two rooms. I asked why was I not getting a total refund and she said that they did not do that. I told her that UNACCEPTABLE and that I was UNSATISFIED!!!
So I accepted the refund for the most expensive room and chalked it up to experience. Later I found out from my family that the area was a rather bad part of town and that they didn't ever go there.
People do not spend your hard earned money at this hotel - GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed September 2009