Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Augusta/Garden City
Ranked #32 of 85 Hotels in Augusta
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The room was comfortable and the bathroom clean. But the room (non-smoking) stank of cigarette / cigar smoke. It had penetrated the bathroom so I just decided to keep the bathroom door closed so it not penetrates all the room. The front-desk clerk was sympathetic, but couldn't offer more than talk to guest of the rooms nearby mine. They have a clearly posted no-smoking policy on all of the doors and at the front desk on check-in but that clearly doesn't guarantee that you will get a truly smoke-free room. If they aren't fully booked, check your room before you settle in.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. The front desk personnel and the one in charge of the breakfast were exceptionally attentive to my needs and those of all the guests. The breakfast was good with waffles, oatmeal, eggs and a good variety of pantries and bagels. The air conditioner at the breakfast area was not working so they bring portable air conditionings and fans to solve the problem. I would stay again there mainly because of the customer service.

Room Tip: First Floor. Check your room before you settle in just to make sure there is no cigarette odor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The staff was very helpful and friendly. Brenda and Evelyn, the front desk personnel, and Sabrina, in charge of the breakfast, were exceptionally attentive to my needs and those of all the guests. The hotel was clean and the bed comfortable. The room was a bit small; the pool was very small, but it served for a refreshing dip after a day's work. The breakfast was tasty and convenient, with everything other than hot eggs available. Though serve yourself, Sabrina made me a waffle, then brought hot sausage to my table. The air conditioner in my original second-floor room was not working and only an upgrade was available, which Brenda put me in with no hassle. Then the cable went out (the All Star game was on) but Brenda had it fixed in five minutes. I would stay there again in a heartbeat, mainly because of the customer service, as the hotel itself, while clean and comfortable, was actually quite ordinary.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor. The elevator is a hassle, and the second-floor rooms are much hotter being...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Evelyn at the Front Desk is this hotel's best kept secret! She was delightful, and she works all the time: FD to Kitchen duty to Housekeeping. She should be canonized! Seriously, she was wonderful. Great hotel. The bed was incredible. The neighborhood had its 'characters', but nothing to worry about.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2013

If it weren't for Ms. Evelyn my business would have gone to the Marriott on Riverwatch. My wife made reservations well in advance for Best Western Garden City. When I arrived to check-in, I was warmly greeted by a nice lady, Ms. Evelyn. She assured me she would take care of me. While checking in I was informed that because my wife wasn't present I couldn't check in but I could make reservations in my name and my wife's reservation would be cancelled. I was at first annoyed with the response but once again Ms. Evelyn reassured me that she would take care of the situation- and she did. Because of that, I extended my stay with the hotel throughout the weekend. Clean rooms and delightful staff made the stay a pleasant experience. We need more front line people like Ms. Evelyn taking care of the customer.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We were attending a conference in Augusta and chose this Best Western because it was just a short drive from the conference. We'd never been in this area before, so were not sure what to expect. The area right off the freeway didn't look promising - all commercial with fast food restaurants, gas stations, etc - but it was fine once we entered the property. A sweet lady, named Evelyn, checked us in and helped us find a room easier for me to get to with a boot that the doctor has me wearing for a few weeks. We really appreciated her help and cheerful attitude. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. They refreshed the soap, shampoo, etc., both days. Since we were being served breakfast with our conference, we didn't eat the breakfast at the hotel. Our only challenge was that someone had pre-programmed multiple wake up calls for the day we checked in. We tried to nap before our first meeting but gave it up after the phone kept ringing and one was there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
shahjasmines, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Augusta/Garden City, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for these wonderful comments and for taking the time to share this valuable feedback on our hotel with TripAdvisor. We are grateful for your wonderful response about the Best Western. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with our team, and felt welcomed by the staff especially Evelyn what a great team! Thank you for noticing their efforts. We really appreciate all the nice comments and will be sure to share this with my Employees

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here over the weekend for a basketball tournament and I was quite surprised. I have never stayed at a Best Western, so I was a bit leery. I like to stick to Hilton properties like Hampton, Hilton Garden Inn, etc.

The rooms were clean, up to date and very similar to what you would get with a Hampton. Our room had a microwave and min-fridge. Towels, toiletries, bedding etc were comparable to Hampton.

I really liked the location of the property, right off the interstate with every type of restaurant within a mile.

A definite do-over!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
shahjasmines, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Augusta/Garden City, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

We are humbled by your great comments and your views of the Best Western. Thank you for these wonderful comments and for taking the time to share this valuable feedback on our Best Western with TripAdvisor.. We are grateful for your wonderful feedback about our rooms and outstanding team, we strive to ensure our guests feels right at home with us and we are so pleased you found our team, food, service and rooms to be accommodating. I hope you will continue to allow my colleagues and I the opportunity to create an incredible hotel stay for you in our Best Western in the future.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

At 11.16pm the room phone rang, and a female Afro-American spoke with a southern drawl ...
"This is the front desk sir, and we didn't swipe your credit card which we need for ancillary items."
Me: "What! It's 11.16 at night and I'm in bed. You can swipe my card in the morning."
Woman: "I'm sorry sir, but my manager says I have to get your credit card details tonight."
Me: "I'm not going to give credit card details to a voice on the phone. I'm coming down to the reception desk in my PJs."

At the front reception, there is a Afro-American man behind the desk ...
Me: "I've just been told on the phone that you need to swipe my credit card."
Man: "Not by me, and I'm the only one working here."

Me: "Did you put a phone call through to my room number 306 just 2 minutes ago?"
Man: "Yes."
Me: "Did you ask the caller the name of the person that they wanted to speak to in 306, or ask the name of the caller, and you didn't ring through yourself to my room asking if I wished to take an outside phone call?"
Man: "No. The caller asked to be put through to room 306, and our system is just to do that."
Me: "Well you're system needs to change to make it a little harder for scammers."

Unfortunately, I checked out early next morning before being able to speak to management, and Best Western has no email contact. My hope is that Best Western responds to this review by changing their present system, which could easily have caused me to be scammed for $10-20k.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which isn't smoky or musty.
Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank John M

We are sorry for the experience you had at our hotel. We will train our staff to make sure that they screen the call before they transfer.
I am again very sorry