“BEWARE OF SCAMMERS”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Augusta/Garden City
Ranked #33 of 86 Hotels in Augusta
Reviewed April 18, 2013

At 11.16pm the room phone rang, and a female Afro-American spoke with a southern drawl ...
"This is the front desk sir, and we didn't swipe your credit card which we need for ancillary items."
Me: "What! It's 11.16 at night and I'm in bed. You can swipe my card in the morning."
Woman: "I'm sorry sir, but my manager says I have to get your credit card details tonight."
Me: "I'm not going to give credit card details to a voice on the phone. I'm coming down to the reception desk in my PJs."

At the front reception, there is a Afro-American man behind the desk ...
Me: "I've just been told on the phone that you need to swipe my credit card."
Man: "Not by me, and I'm the only one working here."

Me: "Did you put a phone call through to my room number 306 just 2 minutes ago?"
Man: "Yes."
Me: "Did you ask the caller the name of the person that they wanted to speak to in 306, or ask the name of the caller, and you didn't ring through yourself to my room asking if I wished to take an outside phone call?"
Man: "No. The caller asked to be put through to room 306, and our system is just to do that."
Me: "Well you're system needs to change to make it a little harder for scammers."

Unfortunately, I checked out early next morning before being able to speak to management, and Best Western has no email contact. My hope is that Best Western responds to this review by changing their present system, which could easily have caused me to be scammed for $10-20k.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which isn't smoky or musty.
Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank John M
shahjasmines, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Augusta/Garden City, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

We are sorry for the experience you had at our hotel. We will train our staff to make sure that they screen the call before they transfer.
I am again very sorry

Reviewed April 16, 2013

If it were not for a lady named Evelyn this place would be rated 1/2 star, even with her( she can only do so much ) it is not good. We were put in a smoking room that smelled of stale smoke. Attempts to rid the room of the smell were temporary. Towels were at a premium as we're extra soap, lotion and all other bath goodies. TV was small but there was many channels. Beds were as soft as a marshmallow and my sore back reminds me of that. We went to the Masters tournament so all hotels were booked or we would have been out of there within 15 minutes after checking in. This place should be called Worst Western.

Room Tip: Keep on driving.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

We are sorry for the experience you had at our hotel. We take your comments very seriously and are working to improve on it

Reviewed March 20, 2013

On first inspection the place looked OK. When we got to our rooms they were pretty basic, but clean. As the days went on it was difficult to find towels, bath mats, decent sized bath towels just didn't exist in this place. We were there for four days and had to ask and keep on asking. Hangers - a basic?? No, a luxury in this place. Dont expect a case stand either, even if you do like to keep your cases off the floor. Also, absolutely do NOT expect a smile from either woman in the breakfast room. They are there under sufference, and no other reason it would seem. Breakfast was a joke anyway, there was so little there it was difficult to find anything palatable. All in all a place to be avoided.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Greaser

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on our hotel with TripAdvisor. We are grateful and thankful for your response .We are very disappointed to hear about your recent stay with us. We have paid special attention to your comments about the towels, breakfast and immediate action will be taken. Hearing from guests like you only can make the team stronger and more attentive. We cannot apologize enough for all the issues and concerns that you indicated. Again, we offer our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us and we are working to ensure these issues will be resolved.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just finished a 12 day road trip through Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia, stayed at Best Western the whole trip. Nashville, music row BW was the worst, and Augusta, Garden City Inn was the BEST. Convenient location, clean facility, efficient, friendly staff, and
great rates. I read all the compliments in the past reviews in particular to Evelyn at the front desk., does she need more? yes, she does.! She is the one who set the welcoming atmosphere that made our stay special. Sweet, efficient, fun, kind,and a great sense of humour are her assets that deserve to be complimented again and again. You hang on to her, she is your best asset.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
shahjasmines, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Augusta/Garden City, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you so very much for such a nice review.
We are really happy that you enjoyed the stay at our hotel. Our Management loves Evelyn and she is definitely an asset to our company

Jasmine

Reviewed February 27, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
shahjasmines, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Augusta/Garden City, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We go down to Augusta every year for the Augusta Furtity Horse Show. We have stayed at an un-named hotel for the past 10 years (should have changed along time ago)....This year however the un-named hotel turned out to be bug infested and moldy....Needless to say we moved to "a breath of fresh air" and very clean hotel when we picked this one. The front desk staff, "Evelyn" she was the greastest!!!! She was so uplifting and cheerful...This turned out to be the BEST stay ever....We will be back next January you can bet that!!!!

Room Tip: olny saw 2 rooms....both were on 2nd floor and were just fine. they have luggage carts too..
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
shahjasmines, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Augusta/Garden City, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

We are humbled by your great comments and your views of the Best Western. Thank you for these wonderful comments and for taking the time to share this valuable feedback on our Best Western with TripAdvisor.. I hope you will continue to allow my colleagues and I the opportunity to create an incredible hotel stay for you in our Best Western in the future.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I got a good rate on this hotel and stayed for 2 nights. As others have mentioned, there is variability in the front desk service. Evelyn was great!
However, the nighttime clerk, a younger man, had a bad attitude. Around 10pm on my first night, my 2nd floor room suddenly started to smell like cigarette smoke. I promptly called the front desk to inquire if smoking was permitted in the halls, as someone was obviously smoking nearby. The desk clerk informed me that smoking was only allowed on the third floor. When I restated that my room suddenly smelled like cigarette smoke, he DID NOT offer a solution. I checked the hallway, called back, and informed the clerk that there was someone at the end of the hallway that MIGHT be smoking. I had to ASK the clerk to assess the situation, to which he begrudgingly agreed. I was shocked by his bad attitude and lack of initiative. Fortunately, the problem seemed to resolve within about 30mins.

Pros: Bathroom was clean; good water pressure in the shower. Bed was quite comfortable. Room was quiet. Grocery/food stores nearby. Breakfast was average/adequate.

Cons: Small, rough towels. Room smelled very musty/gross; carpet was old and not adequately vacuumed. Elevator smelled like cigarette smoke.

Room Tip: Hotel located between a seedy motel and a Ramada- ask for a room on the Ramada side for a more pleas...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TTL374
shahjasmines, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Augusta/Garden City, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on our hotel with TripAdvisor. We are grateful and thankful for your response .We are very disappointed to hear about your recent stay with us. We have paid special attention to your comments about the front desk attitude and immediate action will be taken. Hearing from guests like you only can make the team stronger and more attentive. We cannot apologize enough for all the issues and concerns that you indicated. Again, we offer our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us and we are working to ensure these issues will be resolved.