“Great Place!”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Really great food. A good place to go if you're looking for something different. A great little gem!

Gail B, Manager at French Market Grille, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank you for your kind words! We are so pleased you enjoyed your visit. Please come again soon, we'll have a slice of our award winning Peanut Butter Pie waiting!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

As it's plain to see, French Market Grille causes me to feel like I'm on the show Cheers, because everyone is always so welcoming and genuinely glad you came. I almost feel that I shouldn't get on a long rave about how at home I feel in this restaurant, but I just can't help myself. It's the kind of establishment where I wouldn't ever think of bringing just a casual date out for dinner. No, this is the type of restaurant to which I would only bring a spouse that I was going to spend the rest of my life with, because I will be eating at French Market Grille for the rest of my life and have to share it with someone special.

I came here the same night AFTER dining at Edgar's Grille, and was only going to order some bread pudding (which is the one dessert I had yet to try at French Market Grille), but as it seems to be expected, I started to order an entire dinner all over again consisting of she crab soup, Pontchartrain salad, and finally opted for one of the dinner specials: grouper corvina. That's how you know a restaurant is an exclusive favorite of yours, when you can eat dinner elsewhere first, then still somehow muster up the boldness to have more than dessert as you planned to. By the time I got to the bread pudding for dessert, I was so ridiculously overindulged that I took a few bites and had it boxed up to take home. It was just as good the next night, if not even better.

Delicious food that I regrettably had to rate as average when it comes to dining on a budget, being that I definitely fall into that category, but still come here when I can and go a bit overboard with the menu selections.

Be glad there's one place in the world
Where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We arrived for dinner and were quickly seated by the host. Our waiter, Pat, said hello almost immediately and took our drink order. My husband had the She crab soup which was fabulous and came with a shot of sherry (I think) . He also had the shrimp salad which was fresh. I opted for the Shrimp Etoufee and it was nice and spicy. The restaurant decor is interesting and although there's TVs over the bar they're kept at a low volume so they don't intrude on your dining experience. This is a great restaurant with friendly service and if I lived in Augusta I would want to come back often to try other menu items.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Good food. Have eaten here for years and the food has remained great. I think that some of their food is better than what I have eaten in New Orleans. The P-boys are great, and the red beans a rice. You can not go wrong with anything to order

Gail B, Owner at French Market Grille, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you for your review! We try to put a little New Orleans into every bite here at French Market Grille. We love our loyal customers and -- as you have been a customer of ours for years -- may I say, I hope you have signed up for our Repeat Rewards program! For every dollar you spend, you get a point towards all sorts of free goodies. Free Birthday Desserts, a free entrée on your anniversary, appetizers, and coupons for $10 off your meal are just a few of the benefits for signing up and adding up points!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I went here after work with a few coworkers, it was very accommodating and the service was good, but the food was average. Really good Oysters, in fact the server had to check to make sure they had some in stock because they ran out the night before. If you have ever lived in Maryland do not get the crab cake, this is not a real jumbo lump crab cake but if you like the breaded cakes it will be just fine for you. A few coworkers got the steak which looked great and they said was tender. It was decent for a visitor if you are looking for good food, but not a chain restaurant.

1  Thank Kara W
Gail B, Owner at French Market Grille, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thank you for your kind words! Our oysters are extremely popular and demand keeps our shucker on his toes! I'm sorry the crab cake was not to your taste. We pride ourselves on our own "New Orleans twist" on the crab cake. We use premium claw and lump crab meat, bound by a white sauce (with butter, apple brandy, and cream), which we add cornflour to, and a hint of creole spice to heat things up! We then sautee the crab cake to make it crispy and serve it with our house made cajun tartar sauce. It is certainly different from a Maryland style crab cake. That spice will hit you, for one! Again, we thank you so much for your kind words and taking the time to review FMG. Please visit us again, ..we'll have a juicy steak and an ice cold cajun martini waiting on you!