“Frog revisited”
Review of Frog Hollow Tavern

Frog Hollow Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Frog Hollow Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 500 Restaurants in Augusta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 13th Street
Description: Located in Historic Downtown Augusta, Frog Hollow Tavern serves regional cuisine from locally sourced farms. The bar barrel ages craft cocktails and also has a wide selection of wines both by the glass and bottle.
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Frog Hollow, located in downtown Augusta, serves what I'd call pumped-up Southern Eclectic. This is my second visit - my first was in 2012 and I was less than impressed. I liked it better this go-round - more Prince than Frog this time!

Neighborhood: Little shops and restaurants, near the river walk. Nice for walking around, but pay attention to your surroundings, just like anywhere else.
Parking: Plenty of on-street parking.
Décor: A little dark, but nice. Lots of wood, booths, nice bar area.
Bar: Full bar, with house menu offered if you choose to eat there.
Wine: Limited but good by-the-glass selection.
Beer: Draft and bottle. Features several local beers.

Greeted: Immediately by one of three hostesses. Had a reservation, but asked for and got a seat at the bar instead. (And you should make a reservation. This place is popular. Walk-ins can generally find a seat at the bar, with a little bit of patience.)

Server: Since my server was a bartender, I was greeted immediately. Both bartenders took care of me, and both did a good job. Both were very knowledgeable about the menu and food preparation.
Drinks: Ordered wine, came quickly, generous pour.
Bread: Offered and declined
Water: Immediately upon request

Dinner was appetizers. Had the Heirloom Tomato Salad. Here I found the same problem as last year – nothing exceptional about the tomatoes. They were a little bit tasteless and sort of dry. The presentation was very pretty, and the feta, pickled onions, and dressing were all good, but I won’t order it again. I also had the mussels, and they were very good, fresh and plump. White wine and herb broth was delicious. Came with charred bread, but I declined that. Had a side of the collards, which were ok.
Service was attentive and friendly throughout the meal, and I wasn’t rushed.

Declined coffee & dessert, although several local regulars raved about different choices.
Bill came promptly upon request. Dinner for 1 (wine, 2 appetizers and side dish, including tip) came to about $35.

Noise: Moderate
Child friendly: Suitable for well-behaved children.
Outdoor seating: Limited outdoor seating on sidewalk in front.
Items of interest: Frog Hollow is a big proponent of farm-to-table, and the use of fresh local ingredients.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Frog Hollow Tavern is the place to go to get fresh local farm to restaurant dinners! You don't have to worry about the quality or freshness of your meal because this place is top notch! The seafood is phenomenal, the steaks are tender, moist, and flavorful. The vegetables are vibrant in taste. The restaurant setting is very cozy for an intimate dinner or comfortable for a larger party. The most expensive meal on the menu was $28. That may be expensive to some, but you cannot get the quality anywhere else. Our server Sarah was extremely knowledgeable about each item on the menu, where it came from, and was on the ball with taking care of us. If you want high quality local food, a great ambience, and excellent service, this is the place to go!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I went to the Frog Hollow Tavern with my daughter after a show at the Imperial Theater. We had a delicious dinner, and the service was outstanding. Nice ambiance, but really, it's the food that will have you coming back!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I'm from Augusta, GA (39 year veteren). I have to say that this has been the best place to eat since I've been living here, all my life.
The food is local and fresh. The atmosphere is very inviting.
Be prepared for a pricey bill, but quality comes with a price.
You want be disappointed.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very lovely atmosphere, seems to e well visited... I was delighted to find rabbit stew on the menu, and I truly enjoyed it. My friend had a steak, which was good, but not the best we ever had by any means, and way too many fries. We would suggest pairing the steak with veggies as an alternative. All in all service and quality was very good, just tooooo many fries.