“Nice, but no candy or snack machines!”

Holiday Inn Express Augusta North
Ranked #20 of 84 Hotels in Augusta
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Nice place. Beautiful large pool inside. There room was just fine, bathroom adequate but smaller. On bottom floor, I never heard a sound and I was close to the front desk on the week a high school tournament had brought in a large group of young men. Still, no noise. Parking was fine, and a Mexican Restaurant is next door along with a few other hotels. Hotel is conveniently located and new. Front desk friendly. One negative: no snack machines on premises! The front desk says to "go to the closest hotel - same property, and get it there". (They, as in the staff at the second hotel, are OK with it.) Wow.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Augusta North

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Did a quick overnight stay at this hotel and found it to be very clean and comfortable. The check-in was quick and the staff friendly. It was very easy to access it from I-20. The room had 2 queen beds and both the room and bathroom were very clean. The bathroom had nice tile work in it. The property seems fairly new and it was well kept. The only suggestion I would make is to improve their breakfast buffet. It was quite limited compared to other hotels of this category and they did not keep it well refreshed. There was no fruit at all. However, the hotel is located in an area where there are plenty of restaurant and fast food choices close by. Some are within walking distance so you would not be limited to the hotel if you chose not to be.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I chose to stay at this Holiday Inn over the one off Park West (where I'd stayed before), because it was more centrally located and closer to my family that I was in town visiting. The hotel appeared to be brand new and had very easy in/out access with ample parking and plenty of restaurants nearby. It was very clean, and beautifully decorated. The room itself was larger than most hotel rooms, but felt a little under furnished. I noticed it did not have a mini-fridge, which a majority of hotel rooms have nowadays. There was plenty of room to add one, so maybe they will consider it in the future. The bathroom was modern and roomy, but somewhat under lit. The lighting didn’t feel very bright. I think my biggest complaint was the bed. It looked beautiful when we walked in, however it was like sleeping on an ironing board. It has to be one of the hardest beds I've ever slept on in my life. Sleeping was almost non-existent both nights we were there. We tossed and turned, unable to get comfortable. My husband and I both woke up with horrible back aches and had to take medicine to alleviate the discomfort. They also only supplied the King bed with 4 very small pillows. They completely flattened out when resting your head on them. King size beds need king size pillows. Luckily I brought my pillow from home, but my husband was stuck with the hotel furnished pillows. He was so desperate to get comfortable, he grabbed some towels out of the bathroom and put them underneath the pillows just to get some height. The duvet on the bed was also quite thin. There were no extra blankets (or pillows) in the closet or drawers, except the one at the foot of the bed, which was also thin and only a twin size. The final complaint is the motion sensor thermostat. I had to Google how to override it because it cuts off when you’re out of the room or sleeping, which just added to the miserable night’s sleep. Please replace the bed, pillows and linens and we might be back on our next trip, otherwise I will probably find another hotel. Sleeping is what you do primarily do in them after all, and we did very little of that. Oh and before I forget, breakfast was adequate but nothing special. I also had a run-in with the woman who was replenishing the breakfast items, and she acted like she didn’t speak English when I spoke to her as well. She seemed a little off put when I asked her to replenish some of the items that were out.

Room Tip: If you like firm beds, this is your place. If you don't, you won't sleep!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank designermillion
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Wonderful hotel until I had to deal with the Breakfast Manager and had a treadmill issue.

She hid in the employee only room and only came out when the front desk called her to place basic food items (hard boiled eggs) out on the breakfast bar. Additionally, either she actually cannot speak English or she pretended to not to speak English so that she did not have to do any work/assist guests. Patrick, the front desk clerk, assured me that she spoke English so I guess it was pretending to avoid working. She did come out of the private room to chat with one of the cleaning staff as she brushed crumbs onto the floor (for her friend to clean up after she went back to her private room).

I will say that this woman is very attractive so I will let you draw your own conclusions how she is able to get away with not working and pretending to not speak English to paying guests.

Additionally, I had to go to a nearby hotel (who could not have been nicer) to use a treadmill as the Holiday Inn Express only had one working treadmill (the other one was non-functioning). Patrick assured me that this was the procedure although the other hotel advised me that he should have called first. I was delayed as she helped the guests staying in her hotel (a policy that I completely understand) and she had to confirm with my hotel that I was a guest. Patrick completely blamed the delay on the other hotel's desk clerk and her not knowing what the proper procedure was. After a delay of over 20 minutes, I missed one of my morning appointments and missed an appointment in Atlanta.

I left a message for both the General Manager and his boss, Marty. No one returned my call. Patrick, the front desk clerk, gave me the contact information, encouraged me to call and complain, and assured me that both gentlemen would want to speak with me regarding my issue. However, no call to date.

Good luck and bring your own food or a foreign language dictionary.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Southern100
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Augusta North, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Southern100,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed here for two nights checking in 06/30/2012. Very clean and quiet hotel and convienent to I-20 and local restaurants. The staff is very friendly and they always greet you with a hello. The breakfast bar is very good and plenty of food. Only complaint is that the water drained very slow while taking a shower. However I will stay here the next tome I'm in Augusta.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2012

The hotel is located in a grouping of other major hotel chains. It looked very nice on the outside, was well lit making it easy to find. Check in was easy and no frills. The room was very nice clean and updated. This is the minimum I've come to expect from a Holiday Inn.

Location wise, it's off a strip of road that seems to have all the chain restaurants and some local places, gas stations, quick shops and other commercial business. I was told there was no sidewalk on this major road which would have been nice to walk/run along but no fault of the hotels. I was there for work and just needed to head down the road about a mile. I was told the golf course was just a bit past that, so if you there for golf I would think the location would be great. Location wise the area is lacking culture but I think works for most reasons to be Augusta.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stay one night at this property and absolutely loved it!! The staff were friendly and attentive to our needs. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The area was really nice.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family