Days Inn Athens
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$119
$159
GardenInn.com
$85
HIExpress.com
Holiday Inn Athens-University Area(Athens)(Great Value!)
$89
Hotels.com
$72
Hotwire.com
$141
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewscheap hotelroom was cleannothing fancywould stay here againwalking distance to downtownstaff was friendlygritwattcollege
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 5, 2009

Wife and I did a quick overnight getaway to Athens on a budget. Hotel was within walking distance to UGA, Lumpkin Street (with all the shops/bars) which we walked to. Also walked to Grit Cafe which was great.

Continental breakfast was included in the morning.

Room was clean, everything worked, sheets and towels were white.

Great value for what we got and where it was located.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I was concerned about staying here based on other reviews which primarily stated that the hotel was in a seedy area. Did the neighborhood look fantastic? No. Was I worried about staying there? Not really, especially after I learned that it was RIGHT NEXT to the much more expensive Courtyard Marriott.

The hotel is outdated, but it was perfectly acceptable. It is extremely close to the downtown area, as well as other parts of Athens, like Alps Road, where you might want to go grocery shopping or out to lunch/dinner.

Breakfast didn't have a great selection, but I was still very glad I decided to try this hotel out instead of going someplace more expensive.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed September 29, 2008

We needed a place to stay before I could move into my house in Athens. The reviews I read weren't very positive so I wasn't expecting much. The room was clean, and we even had a fridge, very helpful :) Didn't get up in time for breakfast, but I was satisfied with our stay. The only complaint I have is the road you turn on to to get to the hotel is set up so you can only turn in if you're headed west on Broad, if you are coming from the west this problem is easily avoided by passing the road and turning left of Newton. I would stay here again. Great location for Game Day!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I stayed at the Days Inn Athens during an academic conference at UGA, booking at the AAA rate of around $85/night. I've stayed in a lot of 2* hotels over the years and have generally been impressed with the Days Inn chain, but this particular hotel leaves a lot to be desired. The room was shabby--peeling wallpaper, a general dinginess, and an air conditioner that worked best late at night (but hardly worked at all). The wireless internet connection was slow and sporadic. For two nights in a row, some drunkard banged on my door in the middle of the night, and on yet another night, a huge group threw a party in the breezeway. I would expect that during, say, a University of Georgia football weekend, but this was a sleepy typical summer weekend in Athens.

I don't hold this against the hotel at all, but for those who are thinking about staying at Days Inn and walking to the University of Georgia, it looks good on the map but isn't particularly good in reality. It's about 20 minutes of walking through residential areas, and it's VERY hilly--all downhill going to UGA, but all uphill coming back to the Days Inn! The bus lines are not very convenient either. I was glad to have a rental car.

I do have some nice things to say: the staff was courteous and efficient, the continental breakfast was excellent and extensive (as they often are at Days Inn), and the rate was favorable compared to other hotels. Next time I'll ask for a room that faces the inner courtyard--I suspect that some of my problems stem from being assigned a room that faced the parking lot.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 24, 2008

Nothing fancy, but clean, walking distance to downtown restaurants and bars and it was cheap. Also had a nice breakfast selection. Good choice for an Athens trip to see a show or 2 at the Georgia Theatre.

Stayed: March 2005