“Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Atlanta, GA
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

The Holiday Inn Express is a couple blocks down from the regular Holiday Inn, but still very close to downtown Athens and certainly walkable. I had no problems walking downtown for dinner and drinks. While the front of the hotel is fenced in, I found a small gate that I was able to use instead of having to walk all the way around to the car entrance. The area right next to the hotel hosts some low income housing but seemed to be safe. I slept great and didn't encounter any noise problems. Breakfast was very good with a large assortment of hot and cold items and was supervised by a very friendly lady. I would definitely stay here again if I returned to Athens. Reasonable rate for some good accommodations close to downtown Athens.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Luis F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear seriousworldwanderer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for your stay. We are conveniently located near many of Athens' main attractions, and we are glad you were able to take advantage of this!
We appreciate your comments, and look forward to serving you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

We got snowed in during the resent bad weather. The staff was wonderful, friendly, kind and made are stranded stay amazing. First Heathe Morgan the front desk manger called around too find out all the restaurants that were open but no one was delivering. She asked if anyone wanted to put in an order and drove to get it!!! We stayed on the first floor and it didn't smell as one poster said and had our pets with us. Right by are room was an exit door with a place for them to walk and do their bussiness. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. Housekeeping didn't bother us so we got to sleep in. Breakfest was great and I loved their cinnamon rolls !!!!!! If I ever get straned in bad weather again I pray their is a Holiday Inn Express like this one !!!!! Thanks you guys !!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cindee57
Dear Cindee57,

We are glad that you have such a pleasant experience! Our front desk staff is dedicated to maximizing customer satisfaction, and we are happy that were on the receiving end of it.
Comments like yours help us to constantly improve, so we thank you for your feedback and look forward to your next stay.
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

I'm a Business Traveler with a realistic "College Town USA" expectation of the Athens Holiday Inn Express.

Whenever my profession takes me to Athens, I always stay at the Express, simply because I know as well as everyone else, that what you get as a guest is more than commensurate to the average price point that they ask for lodging. For me, its about economics simply because I travel quite a bit throughout the year. Clean bed, clean room, no extra charge for an above average continental breakfast. In all reality, who cares that the hotel is dead smack in the middle of a college town. I feel safe there, and nobody has ever messed with any of my belongings. What else can a business traveler ask for?

Keep doing what you are doing Athens Express.
You will always get my money when I am in town.

My calculator thanks you :P

Room Tip: If you do a LOT of business traveling, let your calculator conclude that this is the place you need...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank thebusinessclass
Dear thebusinessclass,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback! As a regular visitor to the Holiday Inn Express, your comments are very valuable to us, and will help us to ensure that your experiences here continue to be positive. We look forward to serving you in the future.
Milledgeville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Fortunately, I avoided the noise and drunks mention by one reviewer. I also was fortunate when I discovered my Nokia phone was missing after checking out of a two day Pharmacy Symposeum held annually at this motel, and headed to a local eatery for a bite before going home. To make a short story even shorter, when I returned to look for it, I found it in the Motel's office. I will be forever greatful to the employee who found it. Loosing a cell phone is never a pleasent process.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter. I was unfortunate to have been put in an end room opposite/away from the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
South
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Check-in was fine. We've stayed here before and knew what to expect. It's within walking distance of UGA, and the downtown area bars and restaurants. The place is always clean but make sure you don't get a room on the bottom (basement) floor. It smells like sewage. The rates are reasonable which is why we stay here. Being in the middle of the action there will be drunks making their way through the parking lot at night so make sure you remove your valuables from your car. There are many signs at the hotel to remind you of this.
The drunks in the room next to us kept my wife up for several hours from about 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. until she finally called the front desk. The noise stopped soon after so we suppose they dealt with it.
The free breakfast is above average with hot choices available.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms on the lower level.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear couple2005,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the behavior of other guests prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

Jennifer was very nice at check in. She was nice to check us in a few minutes early. She had a very difficult customer before me, and was very patient and professional with regards to assisting the prior customer. Room was large but very dark. Not much lighting in dark room. Pet friendly hotel but no area to exercise the pet on hotel property. Our shower would not drain, but the hotel staff got that fixed within 5 minutes of me calling to report the issue. Great rate/value for the room($55) a night. Great location for campus and downtown. Walking distance(2 blocks) to downtown shops and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear jkdaves,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. It is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. However, it seems that we were not able to execute an with regard to the lighting in your room. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort it may have caused you. We are highly motivated by your words and ensure you that we shall continue to strive for excellence. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Never before have I experienced such a horrible stay at a hotel. The hotel was filled with unruly drunk college kids who screamed, banged on doors, ran through hallways, got into fights. The hotel was visited by police but nothing seemed to stop the noise. I was there with a baby who was kept up until 5am with the noise. There was vomit everywhere that was not cleaned up even by noon the next morning. The rooms are tired and the couch was stained (probably with booze and vomit). Breakfast was a joke. They ran out of food 30 minutes before breakfast ended yet never refilled the food again.

There are many other choices in Athens, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Susan F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Susan F,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Athens.

Karen G.